Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Bakersfield, CA - Camino Del Rio Ct (LIVE 22 Dec 2023, 20 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There’s a lot of conduit inside the fence which is typical of a supercharger install. Were you able to see anything inside the fence line as far as boxed cabinets? Usually the V3 cabinets have the tell-tale signs of being pretty tall when boxed and having “tesla energy” on the side of them. I would expect at least 2 but likely up to 7 for this site if they’re sitting there already.

I swung by this location last night. Didn't see any boxes inside with a Tesla logo
PXL_20230806_074259131.jpg
PXL_20230806_074150725.jpg
PXL_20230806_074142459.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the pic. There’s at least 18 pedestal bases within the picture but I have a suspicion there’s more outside the picture. @bmah @Chuq @Guacahummus , this is good enough for a cone and a title change right?

The pedestal bases look pretty Tesla-esque to me. :cool: Thread title updated.

Bruce.

I could be totally off base, but doesn’t a normal V3 installation only have the single large diameter conduit coming through the pedestal base? These appear to have 1x 4” and 1x 1” coming up through the bases. Additional lighting or additional cabling needed for V4? @Big Earl @bmah

1692479980799.png

There appear to be 2x 6ga copper wires needed for V4 LVDC. 4” conduit should be able to hold 6x 600kcmil wires so not sure why there is an additional conduit here but definitely something different than normal V3. Which could explain why Tesla is doing the install. Maybe someone can snag pics of the cartons the charge posts come in. Those should be telling. Or we have to wait til they are installed.

Reactions: Limited
I could be totally off base, but doesn’t a normal V3 installation only have the single large diameter conduit coming through the pedestal base? These appear to have 1x 4” and 1x 1” coming up through the bases. Additional lighting or additional cabling needed for V4? @Big Earl @bmah

View attachment 966638
There appear to be 2x 6ga copper wires needed for V4 LVDC. 4” conduit should be able to hold 6x 600kcmil wires so not sure why there is an additional conduit here but definitely something different than normal V3. Which could explain why Tesla is doing the install. Maybe someone can snag pics of the cartons the charge posts come in. Those should be telling. Or we have to wait til they are installed.

Perhaps I'm not reading this correctly. It appears that there is one single conduit, but the ALT posts have two additional 6-gauge conductors for LVDC (lighting and cable cooling?) within that conduit. Not sure.

Last edited:
Perhaps I'm not reading this correctly. It appears that there is one single conduit, but the ALT posts have two additional 6-gauge conductors for LVDC (lighting and cable cooling?) within that conduit. Not sure.
That is how i read the specs as well. But maybe Tesla is field modifying it to be in separate conduit or maybe that was a change based on local code. Low voltage needs separate conduit.

As far as what they do, there’s cooling already in current V3 so unless they moved the step down from the post to the cabinet, it must power something else (And why would you run cable cooling off 24V DC). Maybe a built in magic dock? Gets controlled at the cabinet level and magic dock retrofits require these new cables pulled? Regardless of what it actually does, it’s something different from single conduit vanilla V3.

Passed by the area yesterday, but forgot to take a picture until I was already on the way out. It looked like three transformer cabinets were installed in place. Other than that, no other changes that I noticed.
Thanks! We are expecting this site to have 20-24 stalls based on the power requested by Tesla and the number of bases present in previous pictures. There should be other cabinets elsewhere.

Next time someone is in the area, we would really like to see a picture inside/over the fence to see if the charge posts have been installed.