Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Blacksburg, VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting note, this is NOT a location open for all NCAS users. At least the way its coded right now. I imagine that could change as that section of the website is new and this is a brand new charger. I'd kind of be surprised if this didn't flip. After seeing the map yesterday, my expectation woud for all new locations to be open to all. Just need more v4 cables so other brands aren't blocking more than one stall. That's my only compliant.

1709301553137.png

Interesting note, this is NOT a location open for all NCAS users. At least the way its coded right now. I imagine that could change as that section of the website is new and this is a brand new charger. I'd kind of be surprised if this didn't flip. After seeing the map yesterday, my expectation woud for all new locations to be open to all. Just need more v4 cables so other brands aren't blocking more than one stall. That's my only compliant.

View attachment 1023521
I'm quite surprised by this be a Tesla only location. It's been a few days and they haven't updated the image. I also commented on their X post, not like my posts get read. But I would have imagined all new locations would be open to everyone. Interesting...

I'm quite surprised by this be a Tesla only location. It's been a few days and they haven't updated the image. I also commented on their X post, not like my posts get read. But I would have imagined all new locations would be open to everyone. Interesting...
we've been hitting it weekly with our M3RWD, free charging as its new and that was the December incentive
happy times wheeling

If the charge posts were made before the required parts were available to allow other makes, they may still need to be swapped out. Also they may be prioritizing opening sites where they are other redundant options for Tesla only.

If the charge posts were made before the required parts were available to allow other makes, they may still need to be swapped out. Also they may be prioritizing opening sites where they are other redundant options for Tesla only.
This doesn't make sense. Lots of early v3 sites are open to all EVs through the NACS. No idea how Tesla determines which sites to allow and which ones to not allow. Could also be a bug on Tesla's side. Who knows...

This doesn't make sense. Lots of early v3 sites are open to all EVs through the NACS. No idea how Tesla determines which sites to allow and which ones to not allow. Could also be a bug on Tesla's side. Who knows...
To upgrade to NACS, Tesla has to do a hardware upgrade on-site. Since NACS compatibility is so new, a lot of V3 sites that are under construction, started construction without the new hardware. So Tesla turns the new site on as Tesla-only, and monitors it to check charging sessions for speed and successful sessions. A new site often doesn’t reach full speeds until Tesla monitors the data and turns it up. Then they come back and do the hardware upgrade to make it NACS compatible.

Marmet WV recently opened as Tesla-only. Yesterday, it lit up as NACS compatible.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: ItsNotAboutTheMoney
To upgrade to NACS, Tesla has to do a hardware upgrade on-site. Since NACS compatibility is so new, a lot of V3 sites that are under construction, started construction without the new hardware. So Tesla turns the new site on as Tesla-only, and monitors it to check charging sessions for speed and successful sessions. A new site often doesn’t reach full speeds until Tesla monitors the data and turns it up. Then they come back and do the hardware upgrade to make it NACS compatible.

Marmet WV recently opened as Tesla-only. Yesterday, it lit up as NACS compatible.
I imagine if underutilized by Tesla vehicles over time makes sense to open up

Thanks, still doesn't make a ton of sense to me. Might as well add the new hardware while it's being built. Maybe if you don't have enough hardware you'd have to prioritize, but doesn't seem like they're at that point seeing how extensive the open network is right now. Oh well. Thanks.

Thanks, still doesn't make a ton of sense to me. Might as well add the new hardware while it's being built. Maybe if you don't have enough hardware you'd have to prioritize, but doesn't seem like they're at that point seeing how extensive the open network is right now. Oh well. Thanks.
The hardware isn’t in the V3 stalls. It has to be added. So if there aren’t stalls on site, they can’t add it in until the stalls show up. And they need them to be working to know that they are installed properly and inspected.

Reactions: Acps110
The hardware isn’t in the V3 stalls. It has to be added. So if there aren’t stalls on site, they can’t add it in until the stalls show up. And they need them to be working to know that they are installed properly and inspected.
Seems backwards. If they've been retrofitting all locations, why not build the stalls with the hardware already in it? Sounds like they been at this a while and I would assume the Blacksburg stalls are new. Eliminate the step.