Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Blacksburg, VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Which also makes it interesting because Christiansburg is a top 30 location thats being voted on right now. Tesla should probably have the coming soon Blacksburg location on this map...

View attachment 1022064
They stopped adding new locations to the map a while ago. Any that were on there as grey pins that haven’t opened yet just have the year, no quarters. Only sites added as coming soon now are the voting winners.

Tesla needs a lot more sites to keep up with demand of Tesla owners and the soon to be increased demand on non Tesla owners with NACS plugs or adapters of their cars. Just because Blacksburg got built doesn’t mean they don’t also want sites nearby.

Reactions: theflyer
Also still a little surprised that they didn't choose Christiansburg over Blacksburg for those not stopping in Blacksburg but just driving I-81. Would be a much better location for those just traveling through. Selfishly the location works great for me, but I would have had no issue stopping in Christianburg. Relatively easy on / easy off.
I agree
For running up or down 81, Christiansburg makes more sense

Maybe like Salem and Roanoke each with SCs, right next to each other, hopefully Christiansburg will be next for a Tesla Supercharger

I agree
For running up or down 81, Christiansburg makes more sense

Maybe like Salem and Roanoke each with SCs, right next to each other, hopefully Christiansburg will be next for a Tesla Supercharger
Only one other future Supercharger site near Blacksburg has been identified by the Supercharge(dot)info sleuths. A Supercharger station at Daleville, Va, a little north of Roanoke, has been in the planning/permitting stage for almost three years. I suspect this site may never be built, but the Blacksburg site also took several years to go from permitting to energizing. Time will tell.

Only one other future Supercharger site near Blacksburg has been identified by the Supercharge(dot)info sleuths. A Supercharger station at Daleville, Va, a little north of Roanoke, has been in the planning/permitting stage for almost three years. I suspect this site may never be built, but the Blacksburg site also took several years to go from permitting to energizing. Time will tell.
I am about to run most of the length of 81 south and back to north in my MYP with a one or two axel Uhaul box trailer.
Hoping that all of the SCs along 81 have pull through or it will be a unhook/hook nightmare for us. ABRP says most are "trailer friendly."
Will be great to be able to start at 90-95% at Blacksburg for the start of the trip with the trailer.
I plan on reporting to the forum my resulting trip.
wish me luck

Reactions: WVhybrid
I am about to run most of the length of 81 south and back to north in my MYP with a one or two axel Uhaul box trailer.
Hoping that all of the SCs along 81 have pull through or it will be a unhook/hook nightmare for us. ABRP says most are "trailer friendly."
Will be great to be able to start at 90-95% at Blacksburg for the start of the trip with the trailer.
I plan on reporting to the forum my resulting trip.
wish me luck
Just to alert you , the SC at Abingdon, Va, is not easy to get into just with a car. I think pulling a trailer behind the Holiday Inn will be a bit of a nightmare.

Check out the threads here for each site, there should be pictures. I would say the vast majority of sites are not trailer friendly so hoping that all the ones you need are is a big ask.
ABRP shows yes and no votes per stop and if trailer friendly
Not sure how that can happen
I will precisely document all SC stops for real trailer pull through existence and publish here and in ABRP for Blacksburg to NY metro.
Will be interesting and hope not disappointing.

ABRP shows yes and no votes per stop and if trailer friendly
Not sure how that can happen
I will precisely document all SC stops for real trailer pull through existence and publish here and in ABRP for Blacksburg to NY metro.
Will be interesting and hope not disappointing.
Be careful with ABRP. I just plugged your route in to see ballpark what you are looking at and when switching reference figures to Wh/mile it showed reference as 147(!!!) for 2022 MYP at 65mph. 75000/147=510 mile range by that reference number. I believe the EPA number is 250 and actual is more like 330 so I used 600 to factor in towing worst case scenario. I looked at the first few suggested spots noting there are multiple options in some cases (Lexington for example) so will require more careful planning than what the built in computer will suggest. While there are pull in spots available (towing friendly), some of them require you to be an ahole and block traffic to use while towing and most sites only have one such spot so you have to hope it is open. I would suggest preparing for the inevitable and unhooking at each stop.
1709053503543.png
Lexington, VA (Original 6 stall V2 - no pull in spots, E Nelson St 8 V3 - 1 pull in spot at far left but trailer will partially (or more) block drive aisle)
Harrisonburg, VA (one pull in, wider drive aisle but will still partially block)
Strasburg, VA (6 V2 angled pull ins, will definitely block drive aisle with trailer)
Falls Church, VA
Baltimore, MD
Newark, DE
Mount Laurel, NJ
East Brunswick, NJ

Be careful with ABRP. I just plugged your route in to see ballpark what you are looking at and when switching reference figures to Wh/mile it showed reference as 147(!!!) for 2022 MYP at 65mph. 75000/147=510 mile range by that reference number. I believe the EPA number is 250 and actual is more like 330 so I used 600 to factor in towing worst case scenario. I looked at the first few suggested spots noting there are multiple options in some cases (Lexington for example) so will require more careful planning than what the built in computer will suggest. While there are pull in spots available (towing friendly), some of them require you to be an ahole and block traffic to use while towing and most sites only have one such spot so you have to hope it is open. I would suggest preparing for the inevitable and unhooking at each stop.
View attachment 1022581
Lexington, VA (Original 6 stall V2 - no pull in spots, E Nelson St 8 V3 - 1 pull in spot at far left but trailer will partially (or more) block drive aisle)
Harrisonburg, VA (one pull in, wider drive aisle but will still partially block)
Strasburg, VA (6 V2 angled pull ins, will definitely block drive aisle with trailer)
Falls Church, VA
Baltimore, MD
Newark, DE
Mount Laurel, NJ
East Brunswick, NJ
thanks for the help, very nice
ill take your routing vs my routing and dig in deeper, i will def have a story to tell
towing is a harrowing experience....wish me luck

btw, you seem experienced with towing, please hit my towing advice thread

thanks for the help, very nice
ill take your routing vs my routing and dig in deeper, i will def have a story to tell
towing is a harrowing experience....wish me luck

btw, you seem experienced with towing, please hit my towing advice thread
I will check it out. I have only towed a small utility trailer around town a couple times but have seen my Wh/mi go up quite a bit, even for short trips with a lite trailer load so I may not have much to add. I am a numbers guy though and when the base ABRP plan only had 2 charging stops, it tickled the "something is wrong here" part of my brain.

With ABRP, definitely take some time to fiddle with all the settings. Try different years of the same car, it may just be a copy and paste error or translating from metric to standard since metric is usually distance/energy and not the other way around. Using a higher number means more efficiency and it may have been something plugged in on the metric side that it converted without using the actual reference. ABRP is usually pretty good with reference numbers so just double check that it seems reasonable. Twice the number of stops you would normally use if not more depending on location of chargers.

Reactions: kpanda17
Sheetz is planning their first store in Blacksburg, and is currently going through approvals with the town's planning commission and town council.

In the project description, Sheetz said they will bring 8 Superchargers to the station, located at 1704 South Main Street. There will a planning commission work session on November 16th and a PC public hearing on December 7th, if any locals want to show support for a Supercharger (and Sheetz store) in Blacksburg. All details are available at the link.

I will wait for the project to be approved before calling this a go.

CUP 21-0005-Sheetz at First and Main-1704 South Main St. | Blacksburg, VA (First PDF has the site plans)

View attachment 730824
The Store is built with the SCs. It opens today! See my web page about it: http://roperld.com/science/SignificanceTeslaSuperchargerBlacksburg.pdf and my charging web page: http://roperld.com/science/ChargingBEVsFacts.pdf.
The web page about the Grand Opening celebration is New Store Grand Opening - Blacksburg, VA.
It is nice that the SCs are outside the area of the gas pumps; that should reduce ICEing.
This is a dream come true for me who has been driving a Tesla since 2018. Now I drive the TM3LRAWD. I came to VT Physics Dept. in 1967 and drove my first BEV in 2012, a LEAF.

The Store is built with the SCs. It opens today! See my web page about it: http://roperld.com/science/SignificanceTeslaSuperchargerBlacksburg.pdf and my charging web page: http://roperld.com/science/ChargingBEVsFacts.pdf.
The web page about the Grand Opening celebration is New Store Grand Opening - Blacksburg, VA.
It is nice that the SCs are outside the area of the gas pumps; that should reduce ICEing.
This is a dream come true for me who has been driving a Tesla since 2018. Now I drive the TM3LRAWD. I came to VT Physics Dept. in 1967 and drove my first BEV in 2012, a LEAF.
look back, we've been talking about it for a week
my daughter was one of the first to charge and amazing speed vs what was the only L3 in Blacksburg, the EVgo at 30kw..terrible
this this SC could actually drive up Tesla ownership in the Christiansburg/Blacksburg area...nice

The enthusiasm comes from a span of 100 miles only had one pathetic level 3 charger working at 30 kw
The town and Christiansburg are covered with many 6 kw level 2 chargers
But only one level 3

Now we have a real Tesl supercharger
We just charged at the NRV Mall last weekend. We tried to use the CCS right off 81 at the GM dealership, but it wouldn't activate. There's a 4 stall right nextdoor at the Ford dealership that has been built but isn't live yet.

FYI, Blacksburg has a red pin on the Tesla Find Us map with the update today, however the popup and in the app are not showing yet.

1709222963988.png

btw, Tesla still has not updated their map, does not show this SC
Its not on the map because it isn't active. They had it up for testing and some people snuck in to charge and were chased off. It's not showing in the Tesla app either which is the most up to date thing you can reference as to whether chargers are available or not. Tesla doesn't want people charging here yet for whatever reason (site may not have passed building inspections yet or some other reason).