Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Boardman, OR (LIVE Jun 2022, 8 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These kinds of things are always set up as a hybrid system, where they have another heating element they can use when the outside temperature is too cold. My house has a heat pump system with gas furnace backup. The cutoff point is set I think at about 39 degrees.

I don’t believe the Model Y has that, or at least no information has come out on that. Elon mentioned it had a “special mode” that allowed it to “short” out and run in a less efficient mode to generate heat in high demand cases (heat through some other method compared to how a heat pump normally works) but didn’t go into detail. I can’t imagine it works as well as a dedicated 3kW or 5kW resistance system... but maybe? Just a little concerned since the car shipped after winter was larger over. The heat pump in the house is largely useless in periods of deep cold in the winter (we occasionally get 10 to 25 degree days and nights maybe 20 or 30 times a winter). In fact, the heat pump alone isn’t able to keep up with the demand even when at the set point without occasionally kicking in resistance heating. (Very old house, poor insulation. But then again, a car has pool insulation & a lot of glass radiating away that heat!)

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
I don’t believe the Model Y has that,
That would be insane. I assure you they would not have been so stupid. It must have an alternate heat method it can use as needed.

Elon mentioned it had a “special mode” that allowed it to “short” out and run in a less efficient mode to generate heat in high demand cases (heat through some other method compared to how a heat pump normally works) but didn’t go into detail.
So...resistive heating, like I said.
I can’t imagine it works as well as a dedicated 3kW or 5kW resistance system... but maybe?
Resistive heating is not complicated and hard to do badly.
In fact, the heat pump alone isn’t able to keep up with the demand even when at the set point without occasionally kicking in resistance heating. (Very old house, poor insulation. But then again, a car has pool insulation & a lot of glass radiating away that heat!)
There are large portions of the year, though, where you want a little heating because outside temperatures are in the 40's or 50's, and heat pumps excel in those kinds of conditions and are massively efficient.

Don't panic about colder temperatures. I am certain there is resistive heat that will handle it in those conditions.

That would be insane. I assure you they would not have been so stupid. It must have an alternate heat method it can use as needed.

So...resistive heating, like I said.

Resistive heating is not complicated and hard to do badly.

There are large portions of the year, though, where you want a little heating because outside temperatures are in the 40's or 50's, and heat pumps excel in those kinds of conditions and are massively efficient.

Don't panic about colder temperatures. I am certain there is resistive heat that will handle it in those conditions.

Well from the comments Elon made it sounds like it’s built INTO the heat pump. So while resistance hearing isn’t hard to do, sounds like Tesla figures out a way to make it complex...

Well from the comments Elon made it sounds like it’s built INTO the heat pump. So while resistance hearing isn’t hard to do, sounds like Tesla figures out a way to make it complex...
Ah, well, yes, Tesla has shown that they have a penchant for complicating things. "Let's make car doors, but built in separate parts, with motorized hinges in between and proximity sensors to detect through sheet metal!" :(

Yep, but it’s a pretty good design. They have a patent on a low temp heat pump without a resistive heater. Basically they capture the waste heat from the drive motor, battery, and cabin. And if those are all cold, they can run the compressor and blower motors inefficiently to produce heat just like they do with the drive motor for Supercharger preheating.
US20190070924A1 - Optimal source electric vehicle heat pump with extreme temperature heating capability and efficient thermal preconditioning - Google Patents

• Informative
Reactions: IdaX and ReddyLeaf
Yep, but it’s a pretty good design. They have a patent on a low temp heat pump without a resistive heater. Basically they capture the waste heat from the drive motor, battery, and cabin. And if those are all cold, they can run the compressor and blower motors inefficiently to produce heat just like they do with the drive motor for Supercharger preheating.
US20190070924A1 - Optimal source electric vehicle heat pump with extreme temperature heating capability and efficient thermal preconditioning - Google Patents

And I wonder how fast you get heat on ice cold days when the car has been sitting in a parking lot or something. I know you can precondition, and I try to do that as much as I can, but right now Model 3 can blow pretty hot air within like 30 seconds. When I precondition for supercharging it starts like 20+ minutes away from the supercharger :p

I know Tesla’s map is almost a joke at this point... but potentially this year they’re trying to give it a smidge or credibility. It appears many supercharger coming soon locations now have an estimated quarter that they’ll be live by AND some show 2022 dates, which will help a lot more than “end of the year” or some jazz just to be updated again next year...

BUT, has the Boardman, OR pin been removed completely? I honestly can’t remember if they had a coming soon pin there or if it had just been crowded sourced from speculation on where I good stop would be when heading east from Portland.

I know Tesla’s map is almost a joke at this point... but potentially this year they’re trying to give it a smidge or credibility. It appears many supercharger coming soon locations now have an estimated quarter that they’ll be live by AND some show 2022 dates, which will help a lot more than “end of the year” or some jazz just to be updated again next year...

BUT, has the Boardman, OR pin been removed completely? I honestly can’t remember if they had a coming soon pin there or if it had just been crowded sourced from speculation on where I good stop would be when heading east from Portland.
It had a grey coming soon pin and is gone now which is too bad.

Sorry for your loss!

I don't know if that's real or not, though. I've been reading the forums this morning, and I see 5 or 6 where people are panicking from Supercharger pins being gone from the map--even sites that have already existed for quite a while, not just coming soon ones. So I think this is just some fumbling with the database entries as they were trying to update the map for 2021.

I doubt it has really been removed. People are flipping out this morning from a few pins going missing, and thinking that it's on purpose. It's some screwing up with database updates.

Could be, and I'll keep my fingers crossed.... but I thought most missing pins were existing superchargers (who knows why) and pins that were adjacent to recently opened superchargers...

It could be that Boardman just doesn't have an ETA and if that value was left empty maybe the pin didn't populate or something?