Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Brandon, FL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update as of 9/8/ noon. Power is on, landscaping is done and the guys started to clean up the site. Fence is still missing but was supposed to be done today. Site is working but they need the paperwork done. It still looks like it will be operable end of this weak YEAAAAAHHH !! Can't wait.
Thanks for the great update. Site working--does that mean you (can) plug(ed) in and charged?

Update as of 9/8/ noon. Power is on, landscaping is done and the guys started to clean up the site. Fence is still missing but was supposed to be done today. Site is working but they need the paperwork done. It still looks like it will be operable end of this weak YEAAAAAHHH !! Can't wait.

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the update.

I have been informed by Tesla that they will be having a ribbon cutting ceremony here (and at Lake City) within the next few weeks and they requested that I hold on coordinating any events until then.

Opps on the Lake City event. :wink:

We will hold tight until I hear from Tesla before initiatating any meet-ups.

Larry

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the update.

I have been informed by Tesla that they will be having a ribbon cutting ceremony here (and at Lake City) within the next few weeks and they requested that I hold on coordinating any events until then.

Opps on the Lake City event. :wink:

We will hold tight until I hear from Tesla before initiatating any meet-ups.

Larry

Awesome! Stealth charging

Just drove by there this afternoon (Wednesday) around 1:15. Still blocked off with cones, but the crew was there installing the fencing around the inverters. My guess is the fencing might be complete by the end of the day. I didn't stop to talk with anyone, just did a drive-by gawking............

Just drove by there this afternoon (Wednesday) around 1:15. Still blocked off with cones, but the crew was there installing the fencing around the inverters. My guess is the fencing might be complete by the end of the day. I didn't stop to talk with anyone, just did a drive-by gawking............

Excuse my pedantic nature, but the correct terminology is Supercharger Cabinet, or Charging Cabinet. Inverters convert DC to AC. The Supercharger Cabinets convert AC to DC in a very controlled way to charge the Tesla.

The big green box inside the enclosure is the Distribution Center (a giant circuit breaker cabinet) or in Tesla speak, it's also a "Switchgear Assembly", and the moderate sized green box outside the enclosure is the Utility Transformer. The charging Spaces are also called Charging Stalls, and the Charging Pedestals are also called Charging Stations. Here is an annotated picture from Blanding, UT:

Blanding Equipment-2.jpg

If you want to look at the gory details of what goes inside and the plans for a Supercharger Site, see http://www.cityofmadison.com/planning/projects/reports/89etm_site2.pdf

Hi Joe,

I wonder if they are waiting for Ocala to come online, so they can kill three birds with one stone or have a "Central Florida" ribbon-cutting presentation. (Then again, there still isn't an Orlando SC on the horizon).

I wonder if they are waiting for Ocala to come online, so they can kill three birds with one stone or have a "Central Florida" ribbon-cutting presentation. (Then again, there still isn't an Orlando SC on the horizon).

Yes, sort of. Tesla mentioned to me the possibility of have a series of celebrations when the Nashville to Miami route was completed.

However, in the absence of definitive information our club is frequently forced to make our own plans regarding celebrations.

So from a Florida perspective we are looking at Supercharger events at Tampa, Ocala, DeFuniak Springs, Orlando, Miami and perhaps some turnpike locations, and a store opening in Sarasota all before yearend. We should be real busy celebrating. :wink:

Larry

Excuse my pedantic nature, but the correct terminology is Supercharger Cabinet, or Charging Cabinet. Inverters convert DC to AC. The Supercharger Cabinets convert AC to DC in a very controlled way to charge the Tesla.

The big green box inside the enclosure is the Distribution Center (a giant circuit breaker cabinet) or in Tesla speak, it's also a "Switchgear Assembly", and the moderate sized green box outside the enclosure is the Utility Transformer. The charging Spaces are also called Charging Stalls, and the Charging Pedestals are also called Charging Stations. Here is an annotated picture from Blanding, UT:

View attachment 58781

If you want to look at the gory details of what goes inside and the plans for a Supercharger Site, see http://www.cityofmadison.com/planning/projects/reports/89etm_site2.pdf

Thanks for the clarification. Whatever you want to call it, they were building the fence around it. I was just trying to update on the status of the site. Don't have the technical expertise to be exact.

Although it did look like the wood for the fence might have been rough cut cedar planks.

i appreciate your detailed knowledge, and assume you will tolerate my general summary.

Thanks for the clarification. Whatever you want to call it, they were building the fence around it. I was just trying to update on the status of the site. Don't have the technical expertise to be exact.

Although it did look like the wood for the fence might have been rough cut cedar planks.

i appreciate your detailed knowledge, and assume you will tolerate my general summary.

Hi Steve,

We greatly appreciate your update.

Larry

By all means, keep up the observations and Thank You for your reports!

Every once in a while, I try to gently steer us to a common, (mostly) correct lexicon, so that we can better communicate our information with each other.

Thanks again!

Every once in a while, I try to gently steer us to a common, (mostly) correct lexicon, so that we can better communicate our information with each other.

Thanks again!

Fair warning, I will still be calling it the big green boxy thingy.

But my big news for the day, Duke Energy swapped me out with the bi-directional meter for solar today. So the blue thingies on my roof are finally going to start making power as soon as the bright yellow thingy comes up in the morning. I'm pumped and just want to stay home from work tomorrow and stare at my meter! :cool:

Fair warning, I will still be calling it the big green boxy thingy.

But my big news for the day, Duke Energy swapped me out with the bi-directional meter for solar today. So the blue thingies on my roof are finally going to start making power as soon as the bright yellow thingy comes up in the morning. I'm pumped and just want to stay home from work tomorrow and stare at my meter! :cool:

Pictures with blue arrows, or it didn't happen................

View attachment 58781

Nerd alert!

:biggrin:
Sorry, I couldn't hold it in!!!

Thanks again!

I know that you didn't intend it, but I hope if your reread your remarks that you will begin to appreciate the fact that your posting quoted above and the previous pedantic aside sounds unduly condescending taken together.

With all due respect, it is more important to the flow of this thread to simply appreciate that Steve was providing useful status information, and that it is very unlikely that any of us didn't understand precisely what he was conveying.

Thanks.

Larry