Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Brunswick GA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ChrisC

see signature
Apr 27, 2009
Atlanta, GA
I've heard that the site host agreement has been signed for a new Tesla Supercharging site in Brunswick, Georgia. This would be along the I-95 corridor, halfway through Georgia, and between Savannah GA and Jacksonville FL. I don't know which exit, and there are a few along that stretch, so it'll take some determined hunting to find it, even after construction starts. Therefore this does NOT yet qualify for a marker on the supercharge.info map, but we should be close to finding out where exactly.

Glynn County has their building permit system online. Their landing page for it implies that you can search for permits, but after I went through the registration process, I found that I could not actually search for existing permits, only see my own. Anyway, maybe someone else can figure it out: Building Department | Glynn County, GA - Official Website

In the meantime, start prowling Exits 29, 36 and 38!
Google Maps

I now believe that this is going to be Exit 38, at around 500 Millenium Blvd:

Google Maps

Near there are:
- a Hilton hotel
- a Marriott hotel
- a bowling alley

Any of them could be the host :)

I believe only survey markings would be visible as of today, but construction is proceeding full speed ahead so it won't be long before they break ground. If anyone is passing through the area and has an extra 10 minutes, please drive by and get a look. It's going to be a really big one!

I now believe that this is going to be Exit 38, at around 500 Millenium Blvd:

Google Maps

Near there are:
- a Hilton hotel
- a Marriott hotel
- a bowling alley

Any of them could be the host :)

I believe only survey markings would be visible as of today, but construction is proceeding full speed ahead so it won't be long before they break ground. If anyone is passing through the area and has an extra 10 minutes, please drive by and get a look. It's going to be a really big one!

Brunswick, GA would be a great splitter of one of the largest gaps on I-95.

I note that on OSM (as used by Supercharge.info for example), it still has Millennium Boulevard being called Perry Lane Road.

Hotels are not ideal due to parking crunches, and I can imagine that it could get busy during tourist season.

I know there's at least one Jekyll Islander with a Tesla. I saw a Tesla take the annual pass lane when we visited last Christmas. If they're on this site, maybe they can check it out.

Come on, with all the traffic that I-95 gets, nobody's stopped by here? Don't you want bragging rights to be on record as being the first member of the public to ever see this site under construction? :)

Do you know somebody in the area, perhaps even a Tesla owner? Ask them to check it out for us and send you pictures ...

It's a 4.5 hour drive for me. Once there are more sites under construction in that quadrant of the state (Georgia Power has received approval for a huge rollout) then I may very well drive out there myself ...

Come on, with all the traffic that I-95 gets, nobody's stopped by here? Don't you want bragging rights to be on record as being the first member of the public to ever see this site under construction? :)

Do you know somebody in the area, perhaps even a Tesla owner? Ask them to check it out for us and send you pictures ...

It's a 4.5 hour drive for me. Once there are more sites under construction in that quadrant of the state (Georgia Power has received approval for a huge rollout) then I may very well drive out there myself ...

Any details on this “huge rollout” coming from Ga Power?

Reactions: PStewart and Bobbo8
Any details on this “huge rollout” coming from Ga Power?

On December 17th, 2019, Georgia Power and the Public Service Commission agreed to a new rate plan that requires GPC to spend:
- $2M per year for 3 years ($6M total) to be spent on new charging stations
- $6M per year for 3 years ($18M total) to be spent on "EV make ready" site preparation

This was a huge win for EV charging infrastructure in Georgia, and will finally bring charging to massive swaths of the state (read: NOT just on the interstates) that have been underserved up to now. Think Waycross, Albany, Columbus, etc.

Wow, that’s fantastic news, thanks @ChrisC

I don’t necessarily know what “EV make ready” site prep is, but if we assume a standard GA Power DC Quick Charge station and install runs around $100k, that means 20 of those stations per year for 3 years or 60 total based on the $2 Million per year spend. That alone is huge. If what they mean by site prep is all the install costs outside of the actual station costs, we could be talking about even more. Here’s hoping they do target currently underserved areas, and that they install multiple stations per location with minimum 150 kW chargers.

@wcoyote posted a few times last year. He gives his location as St Simon's Island.

I just drove all 3 lots twice and could find no sign of any activity. IMO it will be at the Hilton Garden Inn/Home 2 Suites combo as it’s a huge parking lot. I chatted w one of the workers who appeared to be doing some interior final touches at the Garden Inn. He hasn’t heard anything either.

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9
For anyone stopping at this SuC in the future, take a look at the beautiful coastal marshes in the area, Jekyll Island (there is a daily fee) and the interesting Georgia Sea Turtle Center on island which rescues and nurtures sea turtles that get hurt in the area. That area seems to be extremely attractive to nesting Sea Turtles and there are a lot of them!