Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Buffalo, NY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is listed as level 2, J1772, 6.6KW. I am not sure what that means? What is the amp it charges at?

It is 30A. It is probably only 6.0 kW, though, no matter what the description says. Most public stations have 208V service, so 30 amps times 208 Volts gets you a bit over 6,000 Watts. This means about 30 kph. If you're lucky and it's 240V you'll get 35-36 kph.

Dropped by at about 3 PM Wed. All the charger stall frames seem to have been firmly placed. Forms are being fabricated to contain the pad for the Supercharger equipment. Guy there says the concrete will be poured on Friday. The trenches and excavations around the concrete vaults have all been filled in. A 4 man crew was working on the job.

Thanks for the update xray. Any hints from this crew as to where they are headed next?

Check on plugshare, there are two Tesla owners with 80 amp HPWCs in the Buffalo area. Minimum 30 mile per hour or 60 if you have twin chargers.

Indeed, you would do better at a NEMA 14-50 outlet in a campground than the 30 amp ChargePoint chargers. I leave the J1772 connectors (which tend to be the 30 amp chargers) filtered out on Plugshare because there are usually better options around.

I had asked one of the guys if they knew what was the next site and he denied any knowledge.

- - - Updated - - -

Its fantastic that this is coming along and the updates from this thread are amazing! My problem is I will be going through the area tomorrow. I have not used Charge point locations before but I have the card and am looking at a couple of spots. Can someone help me with understanding the charge rate of the stations and if the station I am looking at is reliable. It is National Grid - NFTA Hamburg, 4066 Lakeshore Rd, Hamburg NY. It is listed as level 2, J1772, 6.6KW. I am not sure what that means? What is the amp it charges at? Any help would be appreciated.

These chargers will typically charge your Model S at around 18-19 miles an hour.

Indeed, you would do better at a NEMA 14-50 outlet in a campground than the 30 amp ChargePoint chargers. I leave the J1772 connectors (which tend to be the 30 amp chargers) filtered out on Plugshare because there are usually better options around.
If you filter out J1772 you might miss out on some 70A or 80A stations provided by Sun Country Highway. SCH is mostly in Canada but they are expanding in the US, such as the Best Western in Syracuse.

Stopped by Sears to get a new hose so I walked over to the site. Concrete hadn't yet been poured. Scheduled for 1 PM. Rebar and plastic had been placed at the slab site in preparation for the pour. Stall posts had been backfilled with the concrete form tubes sticking up waiting for the pour. Spoke with a worker who was concerned about getting the transformer delivered and set up by NYSEG. Seems that the woman at NYSEG who was involved in the order is on vacation! Didn't realize that NYSEG was a Mom and Pop operation! Anyone have some pull with NYSEG?

20150501_124123.jpg
20150501_124148.jpg
20150501_124208.jpg
20150501_124225.jpg

The NYSEG transformer is supposed to go on the pad that has been placed over the concrete vault. The crew is supposed to be on the job on Saturday.

Hi everyone, I'm new here. I just ordered a 70D and I was trying to find the most efficient way to get to NYC from Toronto, I used the supercharger.info site to look and I noticed Buffalo is a vital to being able to go that route. Is there a better way currently until this one gets built? Also how long does it usually take for them to build a station and how often does it happen where stations would be at capacity with cars at each charger? Finally is there a better site that you can user google maps and input the start and destination and it factors in range and superchargers? P.S. I'm glad to join this awesome group of forward thinkers.

Hi everyone, I'm new here. I just ordered a 70D and I was trying to find the most efficient way to get to NYC from Toronto, I used the supercharger.info site to look and I noticed Buffalo is a vital to being able to go that route. Is there a better way currently until this one gets built? Also how long does it usually take for them to build a station and how often does it happen where stations would be at capacity with cars at each charger? Finally is there a better site that you can user google maps and input the start and destination and it factors in range and superchargers? P.S. I'm glad to join this awesome group of forward thinkers.
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your order!

If you just ordered your car, the Buffalo supercharger should be up and running long before you get it. As for fully occupied supercharger locations, I've never encountered one more than half full in my 30 or so supercharger stops. It apparently happens in some of the busier stations in California, but it's really rare elsewhere. As for route calculation with charging stations, I know of 3 options: the Model S's Trip Planner (although that software is in beta and still pretty shaky), EV Trip Planner and PlugShare's new trip planner.

Just wondering, will the bumpout of the transformer and chargers pose any issue for snow removal in the confines of that lot, as opposed to locating them on the lawn area? It seems like a straight plowing path along the stalls may have been better, had they been able.

I suppose if the station's in regular use, though, there won't be any freezing adjacent to it~!