Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Buffalo, NY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
More activity at the site today! Workers were running cables from the big D-Squared boxes through the conduits to the NYSEG transformer vault. The LED light panels for the Supercharger stalls have been installed. Asphalt is supposed to be laid around the equipment pad. Still no response from NYSEG regarding delivery of the transformer!
20150504_130257.jpg
20150504_130800.jpg
20150504_130944.jpg
20150504_130957.jpg
20150504_131646.jpg
20150504_131817.jpg

More activity at the site today! Workers were running cables from the big D-Squared boxes through the conduits to the NYSEG transformer vault. The LED light panels for the Supercharger stalls have been installed. Asphalt is supposed to be laid around the equipment pad. Still no response from NYSEG regarding delivery of the transformer!

You may be providing the best ever photo documentation of a Supercharger installation! Thanks!

Transformer

You may be providing the best ever photo documentation of a Supercharger installation! Thanks!

Thank you for the updates! I've been overnighting in Buffalo waiting for this charging station for the last year. I have experience in electrical installations and I can tell you that the wires are not pulled if a transformer is not planned within days. Too risky with the copper thieves out there. I would say the transformer is installed this week.

I spoke with one of the workers and asked him about the transformer. He told me that they had called NYSEG and had gotten no info from them. I hope you are right.

- - - Updated - - -

Glad to be of service. I'm retired, have plenty of spare time, and I'm interested in the process. With a FIOS a connection, uploading the pictures is very quick.

As of today at 5:20 PM: New asphalt has been laid. 7 of 8 Supercharger stalls look complete. #8 is still open. Notice how the LED backlit is designed to spell TESLA. The install seems virtually complete EXCEPT for the lack of the NYSEG transformer. I'm thinking of making contact with someone at the Buffalo News to see if they might have some access to the upper levels of NYSEG.
20150505_173316.jpg
20150505_173329.jpg
20150505_173353.jpg
20150505_173421.jpg
20150505_173449.jpg
20150505_173529.jpg

I'm thinking of making contact with someone at the Buffalo News to see if they might have some access to the upper levels of NYSEG.

I know the right people at Iberdrola. I will reach out to them tomorrow and report back.
iberdrola is the parent of NYSEG.

I know you guys mean well, but I would urge you to rethink getting involved. For one, it's not your place to do so. You are Tesla customers. This is Tesla's party, not ours.

There may well be ramifications that you can't possibly be aware of. You could unwittingly do damage to other Supercharger plans in the works. For example, if some other site that is in negotiations sees people or companies involved with this site being publicly shamed (as may happen if the "Buffalo News" gets involved) that could obviously hamper or even cause an abrupt end to those negotiations. That's just one example.

Another reason not to get involved is that the workers who have been sharing information could get in trouble for doing so. And these workers, and their counterparts elsewhere, may become a lot more tight-lipped as a result, meaning we get even less information than we do now.

I can't imagine all the issues that might surround projects like this. I don't think any of us can. Getting involved is not our role. We should leave this to the professionals.

Last edited:
or.... From another perspective... The NY Auto Dealers association could be calling in some favors to make life difficult. This state runs on relationships... Why else would we have every legislative leader in the state currently facing criminal charges? If people have relationships why not use them?

or.... From another perspective... The NY Auto Dealers association could be calling in some favors to make life difficult. This state runs on relationships... Why else would we have every legislative leader in the state currently facing criminal charges? If people have relationships why not use them?

Because we have not been asked to use the relationships.

Is getting the Buffalo Supercharger open a few days or even, say, two weeks sooner worth, potentially, losing even one other Supercharger site somewhere else? Is it worth perhaps never getting any information from the contractors working at the Supercharger sites ever again?

If this were some dire situation, where the opening of the site had been held up for months I might feel differently (though I doubt it) but in this case we don't know for certain that the opening has been delayed at all, and if it has been delayed, we're talking about days. I really feel that any of us getting involved at this point has the potential to do more harm than good. It's just not how things are done.

Last edited:
I agree with Andy - let these folks do their job. At this point, this supercharger project seems to be going very smoothly, and getting the utility to install their transformer is always the last step and always takes a while. Sometimes it has taken way too long (like Hope BC and Kingston ON), but even in those cases, there were reasons for the delays, and negative publicity wouldn't have helped.

A significant portion of power/grid projects in the state require approval of the state. That is because power is a regulated business. Influence and relationships are different. The anti-Tesla interests in the state have already proven their powerful influence with the state. I'm just curious if they've weighed in here assuming this requires approval. If they have I promise you that there is nothing I or any other nys taxpayer can do about it.

I recently had Solar panels installed on my house, and the paperwork on the NYSEG end took forever. I don't think there's anything nefarious going on here, just understaffing and bureaucracy at its worst.

Last edited:
A significant portion of power/grid projects in the state require approval of the state. That is because power is a regulated business. Influence and relationships are different. The anti-Tesla interests in the state have already proven their powerful influence with the state. I'm just curious if they've weighed in here assuming this requires approval. If they have I promise you that there is nothing I or any other nys taxpayer can do about it.

I see from the number of posts you have, and your join date of April 2015 that you are relatively new here. So perhaps you're not aware of the fact that in the past few months Supercharger sites opened in Syracuse and Utica. I'm not trying to be patronizing. A new member would have no reason to necessarily know these things, and your post above makes it sound like you may not. I'm pointing this out in an attempt to demonstrate that I really don't think you need to be concerned about the anti-Tesla interests and their influence in this case. I know the anti-Tesla interests are powerful, but I have to believe that if Tesla was able to get the Superchargers in Utica and Syracuse open in the past few months, Buffalo will be no different.

I totally agree with Andy and others.

Imagine if you were running a project, were handling some sensitive negotiations ... and people waiting for the project to get done (but no other relationship to it) decided to just jump in and manage it from the side.

Seriously, this is wrong. At least you should be trying first to make contact with Tesla and offer up your help with relationships you believe you have. But to bypass them entirely? Are you #(*@@# kidding me?

I have been following tesla progress/obstacles for a long time despite my recent username and limited posts. This is a great site that I had no idea existed and I look forward to contributing more once I get my tesla. Someone asked for help and I responded since I can probably get more information pretty easily with a simple phone call. If you think it's a bad idea I do respect that and will give it a couple more weeks as you seem to have been involved for a long time.

That said,..if we are still in the same spot June 1 then you have to let me say I told you so. :smile:

I have been following tesla progress/obstacles for a long time despite my recent username and limited posts. This is a great site that I had no idea existed and I look forward to contributing more once I get my tesla. Someone asked for help and I responded since I can probably get more information pretty easily with a simple phone call. If you think it's a bad idea I do respect that and will give it a couple more weeks as you seem to have been involved for a long time.That said,..if we are still in the same spot June 1 then you have to let me say I told you so. :smile:
Contact directly or do nothing? That's it?Why not reach out to Tesla and offer your connections? Their business, their decision.

I'm pretty selfish as my main interest is to be able to take my tesla on business trips going west. Without the Buffalo supercharger I can't really go anywhere in an efficient manner.

So so therefore anything I can do to help finish the supercharger in buffalo is in my interest personally. As Andy pointed out there may be no issue at all and it is prudent to wait and see and I agree.