Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Buffalo, NY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Confirmed that it is back up and running. I just charged up. Voltage is over 400 today too, whereas is was under 370 prior to the outage.

Supercharger Voltage is your battery Voltage. I bet the difference in Voltage that you saw was determined by your State of Charge (SoC). 370 Volts is somewhere below 50% SoC on an 85 and 400 Volts is over 90% SoC. 60's and 70's have 7/8's of those Voltages.

19225623538_90199ea7b2_b.jpg

Looks like it dispensed 6,600 kWh and recorded a max of 210kW, presumably over a 15 minute period.

That is great! Tesla spirit is strong in Western NY. Nikola Tesla, that is!

True! But don't forget George Westinghouse—he had the capital to commercialize Nikola's patents. Of course a sticker of him might not be as recognizable. . . .

Maybe I should add that I'm a Niagara buff and am glad to point out some historical AC sites still viewable. I've arranged a tour for Kmanauto (from YouTube fame); the same goes for anyone visiting WNY.

I charged July 4th and all seemed well.

My son & I were there on July 4th as well, about 11am, and likewise had no issues charging. Had the place to ourselves. Interestingly, we had to next go pick up my wife at the airport. When we told the nav to guide us to the airport, it took us on some obscure backroads to a service shed on the far side of the airport from the main terminal. :biggrin: We found our own way to the main terminal.

One of the choices to eat at the Buffalo supercharger is :Brennan's Bowery Bar
Clarence Mall
4401 Transit Rd
Buffalo, NY 14221

We ate at this bar on our road trip from Toronto to NY.

Notes from the meal : Great hot wings here, and the Mac+Cheese was very good. The turkey on bagel bun was only ok.

Ref:
Toronto to New York city - trip planning

I thought it would be fitting to include a picture of the inside of the bar:
2015-06-30 11.55.00.jpg

:scared:

The staff were very friendly, and our server was surprised and pleased to find out we were travelling by electric car from Canada.

First supercharge tonight!!! Going from Rochester to Pittsburgh area. Will stop at Clarence to top it off and make the run to Cranberry TWP. It seems doable on EvTripPlanner, but of course the speed/wind/temp variables change all the calculations. Someone tell me you've made it from Clarence to Cranberry. I'm in my P85D. And if you have... how much charge to spare. I don't really want to stop for 30 min in Buffalo to get a full charge only 50 miles into my trip but I'll do it if I have to.

I have made the trip several times before without the super charger. I stopped at Evangola State Park for 2 1/2 hours. Once going the other direction stopped for a couple hours at a generous plugsharer in Buffalo. My advice would be to have a Starbucks and charge all the way up for peace of mind. I'd also stick to 65 mph for the beginning of the trip at least until its obvious you have a healthy buffer.
Post your experince when you get to Cranberry please!

Charged 100% in Clarence (255 Rated Miles). Arrived in Cranberry Twp about 3 hours later with 35 miles left (12%). Perfect electric driving conditions at 71 degrees and light winds.

I drove at 70mph until Erie and 75mph down I79. Drafted a little but not frequently.

I agree with Jake that when the cold November wind is blowing off Lake Erie this will be too sketchy.

Edit: 68kWh used for all you engineers out there.

Made it back to Buffalo Supercharger with 25 miles to spare. I did "normal" driving this time with the confidence I could make it.

My thoughts on my first Electric Roadtrip:
1) On the way down I had to spend an "inconvenient" amount of time topping off my battery for not that many extra miles. Like I added 50 miles to my charge in about 50 minutes because the nearest Supercharger was 200+ miles away. That's a tradeoff vs. ICE travel. I can't be stopping for an hour at the beginning of a "short" 4 hour trip all the time. Its just not in tune with my expectations. Sorry if that's wrong.

2) On the way back... much more convenient. I charged from 25 miles to 100 miles in literally 10-15 minutes, which got me home to Rochester and my home charger. I consider this to be much more realistic and equivalent or better than ICE travel.

Verdict: Build the superchargers 100 miles apart and it's better than ICE travel. Leave them 200 miles apart... and you really have to want to drive your Tesla to justify the time. Also, slightly off-topic... the 3G browsing experience is from 1995. Everything else about the car screams future. The 3G latency/lag screams 10 years behind. It's basically unusable.

Yes, did it just a couple weeks ago. Piece of cake, no issues. Met a couple other Tesla owners while we were there charging. After the charge, we drove to the La Quinta Inn, where we were staying for the night, which is about a mile south of the SC. Next morning we drove normally (75mph or so) the whole way. I don't recall how much range we had left by the time we got to the Buffalo SC, but there was never any concern about being able to make it. I suspect we had 40-50 miles of range left.

During business hours you can cheat a bit on the Macedonia to Buffalo run by Supercharging at the Lyndhurst Service Center. They have a Supercharger in the service area and have been very helpful. Just call ahead and make sure it is available. Cuts about 15 miles off the trip. Not a solution to winter, that would be Erie, but it helps.

Buffalo supercharger up and running, 8 bays that look like the plastic is still on, w/ illuminated signage --useful if you are coming in at night. The chargers are close to the Key Bank (and hidden by it) at the same latitude as the Barnes and Noble. I used the supercharger on July 19 and 20 2015 and was the only Tesla. I recommend the Chinese Garden buffet a 5 minute walk up Transit Road (other side from charger) if you are hungry while charging. The buffet is a little expensive at $13.69 if you just want a quick bite, but you can also buy takeout at $5.99/lb. I recommend the Mongolian stir fry.

I was surprised not to find web references to the charger being up when I checked in July -- just questions mid-June about when it would ready. Well, it's ready.

Buffalo supercharger up and running, 8 bays that look like the plastic is still on, w/ illuminated signage --useful if you are coming in at night. The chargers are close to the Key Bank (and hidden by it) at the same latitude as the Barnes and Noble. I used the supercharger on July 19 and 20 2015 and was the only Tesla. I recommend the Chinese Garden buffet a 5 minute walk up Transit Road (other side from charger) if you are hungry while charging. The buffet is a little expensive at $13.69 if you just want a quick bite, but you can also buy takeout at $5.99/lb. I recommend the Mongolian stir fry.

I was surprised not to find web references to the charger being up when I checked in July -- just questions mid-June about when it would ready. Well, it's ready.

See Buffalo Supercharger Updates - June 11, 2015 Opening

Buffalo opened on June 11, 2015, over 2 months ago...