Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Burlington, NC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
charged up my girl in Burlington early this morning on my way home from Raleigh...

supercharger2.jpg

supercharger1.jpg

Eggplant, out of curiosity, did they tell you what was wrong that was causing supercharging not to work? I'm curious because there really shouldn't be a whole lot between the plug and the battery for supercharging other than some relays as the onboard chargers are not involved at all. Great to hear that you were getting above the 100kW mark. Just got 5.6 today, so hoping to try it out soon.

Turned out to be a loose/broken connector in the high power junction box. They said it was likely a flaw during the build at the factory, but only would have shown up when trying to charge AC >40A or DC Supercharging. I have twin chargers, but never had an opportunity to charge >40A, and apparently they never tested it either.

From the repair order:

Concern: Customer states: vehicle alert saying not able to super chargeCause:
Correction: HV Junction Box General Diagnosis

Upon removal of rear seat and cage structure, removed HVJB cover and inspected wiresbefore dis-assembly and found power wire for slave charger to be backed out ofconnector, found connector damaged and not locking in terminal (+)
Correction: HV Junction Box

Replaced HVJB assembly with a new unit. Saved and installed configuration via TDS

I was recently at the Burlington supercharger, which was actually the first time I have used one. The only reason I went was to test out supercharging before the first road trip and ensure there would not be an issue. My S85 would only charge at 60kw, despite there being no other cars at the supercharger. This got me thinking, I was sitting in the car and it was a rather hot afternoon with full sun on the fresh, jet black, asphalt. When I got out of the car, that black asphalt felt like an oven. Also, the AC was running in the car as I was sitting in it for the 10 minutes it was there.

Could the charge rate have been limited based on temperature and ability to cool the battery? The ambient temp was probably only 90 degrees thought.. Since then I've charged at the Lumberton location at an initial rate of 110kw.

If the temp limited the charge rate, a super simple and fairly inexpensive solution would be to simply paint the spaces white or light green or something, wouldn't it?

If the battery is too hot you won't be able to charge full speed, but more importantly, how much rated range did you have left when you arrived? Remember you won't get anywhere close to 120 unless you're close to zero rated range.

If the battery is too hot you won't be able to charge full speed, but more importantly, how much rated range did you have left when you arrived? Remember you won't get anywhere close to 120 unless you're close to zero rated range.

I had about 100 miles of rated range when I plugged in, if I remember correctly. Perhaps a combination of SOC and temp capped the charge rate. Not going to worry about it since the car has charged at around 110 kw since.

Recently charged here on the way back and forth from Cincinnati to the Carolina shore. There are 2 sets of public restrooms in the Alamance Crossing shopping center, near the movie theaters and restaurant row. Both were locked up. Anybody local know the story? Is this a temporary issue or permanent?