Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Cape May, NJ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can charge at the Wawa in Paulsboro, NJ. It is about 80 miles to Cape May from there so the round trip back should be no problem. If you use the Commodore Barry Bridge it is a few miles north. I do this trip every couple of weeks and it works great.

80 miles is far for my MR assuming we also will be using car once in town. Also will be using sentry and cabin overheat. Don't feel comfortable hoping congress hall will be available

Yep, this is the correct strategy. Though it was WAY more convenient before the supermarket at the Egg Harbor charger location closed last summer.

Will be super super nice if/when Cape May actually opens.

Egg Harbor is 40 miles, no? Even if I went to 100% there on my way, get to CM with 220, need 40+ to get back to SC... Too risky for me. Unfortunately we're in condo with no 120v charging option.

Egg Harbor is 40 miles, no? Even if I went to 100% there on my way, get to CM with 220, need 40+ to get back to SC... Too risky for me. Unfortunately we're in condo with no 120v charging option.
There really is no shortage of places to charge if you look at PlugShare. Or you could stop at Egg Harbor on the way down. That would leave you plenty for running around that week then charge again when you leave.

I see you're located in Philly. I'm about 40 miles nw of Philly and I did a round trip, no charging, this weekend in my 70D (220 miles at 100% rated) to Ventnor. Range anxiety really shouldn't be an issue coming from this area.

I have a MX 75D which at 90% charge gets about 205 miles. I go to Sea Isle City from the Philly suburbs. If I'm there for a week, I'll charge back up on the way down, and maybe do one mid-week run back up to Egg Harbor if I start getting nervous about range. Otherwise, stop there on the way back and good to go home.

I have a MX 75D which at 90% charge gets about 205 miles. I go to Sea Isle City from the Philly suburbs. If I'm there for a week, I'll charge back up on the way down, and maybe do one mid-week run back up to Egg Harbor if I start getting nervous about range. Otherwise, stop there on the way back and good to go home.

Also, are you saying that arriving at Cape May with 220 miles of charge is *too risky*, 40 miles away from the Egg Harbor supercharger? That seems like next-level range anxiety.

Reactions: JSergeant
E8032AAA-D00B-47DD-890C-30DA5B6C09C4.jpeg The contractor (shown in picture) is waiting for Tesla tech guys to show up in order to energize the super chargers. It should be operational by later today or tomorrow.

Last edited:
Also, are you saying that arriving at Cape May with 220 miles of charge is *too risky*, 40 miles away from the Egg Harbor supercharger? That seems like next-level range anxiety.

That's if I charged to 100% at supercharger, which I wouldn't, so let's say I get to CM with 200 miles. I have no desire mid vacation to drive 80 miles mid week to recharge. I was at conf last week and lost 25 miles per day from sentry and overheat protection. I'm going to be parking in a lot and no desire to turn off either. So, maybe not so next level range anxiety? We won't drive much in CM, but there are a few places we'll be puttering around to.

That's if I charged to 100% at supercharger, which I wouldn't, so let's say I get to CM with 200 miles. I have no desire mid vacation to drive 80 miles mid week to recharge. I was at conf last week and lost 25 miles per day from sentry and overheat protection. I'm going to be parking in a lot and no desire to turn off either. So, maybe not so next level range anxiety? We won't drive much in CM, but there are a few places we'll be puttering around to.

If it were me personally I would opt to not enable sentry and I would disable overheat for your stay. If you're getting to CM w/200 miles of range and just doing puttering around over the course of the week I would imagine you could easily have 80-90 miles of range left to get back to egg harbor with. Worst case is you DO end up having to do a mid-week trip which is annoying but to me still preferable to leaving the Tesla at home :). But everyone's priorities are different at the end of the day.

You could also plan another activity/excursion around the supercharger stop. If you have small kids, a Storybook Land visit isn't far from there for instance. Or you could head to Atlantic City for an afternoon/evening if no kids are involved. Ocean City and its family attractions are also "on the way" there or back, more or less. As I mentioned up thread, when there was an active/open supermarket at Egg Harbor it was nicer because you could do a grocery shop (non-perishables mainly given you're going all the way back to CM). Now there's just a few restaurants and a liquor store.

The Cape May - Lewes Ferry is an option and charge at the Supercharger in Lewes, DE. You can spend the day in Rehoboth or Bethany and ferry back to CM. I've done the ferry trip with my Model S (not because I needed a charge) and it was quite easy.

Hi all,

I too, am anxiously awaiting the Cape May Courthouse Supercharger. This summer I have driven from Bucks County, Pa to Stone Harbor 3 times with my Model 3 long range. I had to stop at Egg Harbor once on the way back. There are destination chargers at the Reeds and at the Windrift hotel / restaurant (1st and 80th st between Avalon and Stone Harbor). I was able to charge at the Windrift even though I was not staying at the hotel, but be nice and at least buy something at their restaurant while you wait. The Reeds does have a charger but you have to give your car to the valet. There is a CCS charger in SH but that will not work with Model 3 as far as I can tell. There are level 2 chargers in Avalon according to ChargePoint but I have not tried them yet. There is also level 2 charging available at the cape May ferry terminal, I don’t think you need to hold a ferry ticket if you ask the people that work there.

-Matt

• Informative
Reactions: madodel
@model3fan @GlmnAlyAirCar I made a video featuring the charging conundrum in Cape May. In reality, if you are going to Cape May for vacation and do not have a destination charger to charge overnight anything less than a Supercharger is a huge inconvenience and takes hours out of your vacation time especially if you have a smaller battery. Tesla needs the supercharger there AND they need to update trip planner to account for locations like this and the roundtrip to the last supercharger.