Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Castlegar, BC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm hoping that either this site gets opened, or Tesla starts selling the CCS adapter (in North America) before my trip from Vancouver to Trail at the end of May. Back in January I thought the chances of one or both by now were high, Not so much now.
I’ve done this same route (in reverse) round trip twice in the past two weeks via route 3; I can tell you from recent and past experience it’s totally do-able in a model 3. Failing that, you can do this via Kelowna (an hour longer); done it this way for the past 3 years.

I’ve done this same route (in reverse) round trip twice in the past two weeks via route 3; I can tell you from recent and past experience it’s totally do-able in a model 3. Failing that, you can do this via Kelowna (an hour longer); done it this way for the past 3 years.
I'd also be doing it round trip, and the challenge I see is getting it charged up in Trail for the trip home.... If Castlegar SC isn't up then I'd need to have enough charge to get back to Osoyoos. In theory I could use the destination chargers in Trail, but I'd only have a specific window where I could leave the car there for hours to charge. If someone else is taking up the spots, then it'll mess up my plans.

It's incredible how slow the hwy 3 chargers are at coming on line. Creston, Grand Forks and Castlegar are needed. We need more completions in order to make the majority of Hwy 3 available.
Have there been recent updates on the Grand Forks SuperCharger? It doesn't appear on the Tesla website and all the news I can find on TMC seems to be quite old (or the articles are related to Grand Forks North Dakota :)).

I charged up my Model 3 at the FLO station in Castlegar on my way through last night. 40 minutes to go from 31% to 65%, 27kWh, max charging rate of 37kW. Wouldn't it be great if there was a Supercharger in Castlegar?

Attachments

• Castlegar 20220512a.jpg
    Castlegar 20220512a.jpg
    365.3 KB · Views: 165
  • Castlegar 20220512 b.jpg
    Castlegar 20220512 b.jpg
    416.1 KB · Views: 117
Driving next Tuesday from Spokane to Kelowna. Would be nice if Castlegar was operational. Will have to destination charge at Midway Museum charger instead. Have done this for several years before. Or try the Flo at Christina Lake with ChaDeMo adapter. The destination charger at Rock Creek still shows as being there but is was gone 3 years ago.

Driving next Tuesday from Spokane to Kelowna. Would be nice if Castlegar was operational. Will have to destination charge at Midway Museum charger instead. Have done this for several years before. Or try the Flo at Christina Lake with ChaDeMo adapter. The destination charger at Rock Creek still shows as being there but is was gone 3 years ago.
Two new Chademo's were installed at Rock Creek's new visitor center about two years ago. It's about 1 km east of the Petro Can. I use them every time I travel between Kelowna and Castlegar. I think there's a J17 there as well.

I know this is late but last I looked there was a Level 2 Tesla Charger that was attached to the building at the Christina Lake Welcome Centre. There are also Tesla Level 2 chargers attached to the museum at Greenwood and at the Midway museum (disguised as an old fuel pump).

• Informative
Reactions: tmoz
I got Fortis to give something resembling an update.

View attachment 804776

That's funny...one would think that the 'final design' would have been done years ago.

Drove from Alberta to Vancouver two weeks ago and found the Sun country highway charger in Castlegar to be invaluable. Only needed 3.5 hrs of charge after charging in Cranbrook to make it to Osoyoos supercharger as that Sun country highway charger (@ the library) is 72kW. The Flo is much less...and they were all taken anyway.

Left Hope and hit a pothole right before the entrance to hwy 1 and render my vehicle undrivable. Both left tires damaged and broke two struts, brake line in the rear. That was a long night. Three other Tesla's had the same affliction. Massive pothole that went unnoticed by Emil Anderson Group...the group hired by the District of Hope to 'maintain' the roads. Emil Anderson won't take responsibility.

Drove from Alberta to Vancouver two weeks ago and found the Sun country highway charger in Castlegar to be invaluable. Only needed 3.5 hrs of charge after charging in Cranbrook to make it to Osoyoos supercharger as that Sun country highway charger (@ the library) is 72kW.
I believe you mean 72 amps. But yeah, those SunCountry ones are pretty GREAT for getting around rural parts of BC, especially if you have an old S with dual on-board chargers.

No transformer and no meter so going to be a bit yet...

Check Creston thread for details of the a recently installed meter there (and transformer) if you want to see what they look like, etc.
Supercharger - Creston, BC
I think someone needs to write a pinned thread that explains each part of an SC installation, what it looks like, who is responsible for its installation, etc. Kind of like a field guide for Superchargers. It would help people know what to take pictures of and understand the true status of an install.

Reactions: HopGuy25
I think someone needs to write a pinned thread that explains each part of an SC installation, what it looks like, who is responsible for its installation, etc. Kind of like a field guide for Superchargers. It would help people know what to take pictures of and understand the true status of an install.
Everything on the Tesla side is pretty much standardized, but every area has their own utility company (and inspectors) that does things their own way.

I’m not sure exactly what parts each supercharger need but some friends in the electric field say they are delaying commercial jobs as they waiting for parts due to supply chain issues.

Makes me wonder if supply chain issues are affecting some of these superchargers from coming online