Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Charleston, SC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is my theory on how this works: whenever someone at Tesla identifies a new tentative location for a Supercharger, they enter it in the database and put the half of the year that they except at that time. If the location is known, like a street corner, they enter it. If all they know is the city, the location is rather random, perhaps the center of the city.
After that they don’t bother updating anything until there is a major update, like the Supercharger is live, or unless the initial estimate has passed. Now they might be updating all 2017 targets to 2018, just because the year is coming to an end. This might even be a blind automatic update, for all we know. Again, I wouldn’t read too much into it.

Here is my theory on how this works: whenever someone at Tesla identifies a new tentative location for a Supercharger, they enter it in the database and put the half of the year that they except at that time. If the location is known, like a street corner, they enter it. If all they know is the city, the location is rather random, perhaps the center of the city.
After that they don’t bother updating anything until there is a major update, like the Supercharger is live, or unless the initial estimate has passed. Now they might be updating all 2017 targets to 2018, just because the year is coming to an end. This might even be a blind automatic update, for all we know. Again, I wouldn’t read too much into it.

Thanks. That makes sense. I was just hoping for the past 6 months that it actually would have been live by the end of 2017.

Nope. Looks like Tesla never really had any concrete plans to get this going in 2017, or any time soon for that matter. Just a barebones webpage for a goal to be fulfilled who knows when.

I've searched the Charleston City plans and there is nothing.

I would suggest checking Mt Pleasant, rather than Charleston. There is going to be a service center on Highway 17 at some point, right?

Possibly around here? Google Maps

How do you know there is going to be a service center there??

It is just a guess. I haven't seen the site in a few months, but the doors reminded me a lot of the ones at other Tesla service centers, as do some of the colors being used.

In any case, my main suggestion is to check Mt Pleasant if checking for building permits. I think that is a much more likely location than anywhere else here. Possibly Daniel Island as well, but I bet they will want the charger to be somewhere really close to Highway 17.

Just drove my Chevy Bolt (Yeah, I know... gasp...) to Tanger outlets in N Charleston and used the free chargepoints located there. Tanger would certainly be a great location. Exit 199 at Summerville would also be a great location for people coming in to the charleston metro area. Years ago my wife spotted a MS driving 45mph on I-95 between I-26 and Santee supercharger obviously trying to nurse it to the Santee supercharger. Sure will be nice when Charleston gets a supercharger.

FWIW, we just bought a used model S and will get it next monday. wooo!!!