Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Charlotte, NC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Site coming along. Starting to look like a supercharger station.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 985
Anyone stopping by this site again...if you see the workers can you ask to see if they know anything about the Columbia, SC supercharger? It's gray on the "today" page on Tesla's website, which is the same color as Charlotte which I think means it's under construction or will soon be. Thanks!

That's interesting ... That marker is definitely on Columbia, not Greenville. There's no Columbia thread here on TMC and nothing on supercharge.info . If there is a Columbia thread, please link us over to it ...

Nope, no thread yet that I know of. The Columbia Supercharger location didn't exist until they came out with the new "Today/2015/2016" supercharger page. I think everyone is missing it as they assume it's just Greenville. Even the Carolina Facebook page didn't believe me at first when I pointed it out.

Nope, no thread yet that I know of. The Columbia Supercharger location didn't exist until they came out with the new "Today/2015/2016" supercharger page. I think everyone is missing it as they assume it's just Greenville. Even the Carolina Facebook page didn't believe me at first when I pointed it out.

Yea, I got kicked off that facebook page. Apparently, you have to have a certain political view to be allowed to be a member and post there - even if you're just replying to someone else who posted something political to start with.

I always thought Columbia should have a Supercharger as the I26/I77 interchange is a popular route going south from the Carolinas.

That is kind of the challenge with Columbia. You can cover I-20, I-26 and I-77, but to do it with one location, you have to pick 2 out of 3. My guess is that I-77 and I-20 will get the supercharger and people on I-26 will have to go a little out of their way.

For kicks I started clicking through the permit and noticed something added yesterday. Now I know nothing about how all this works but the main permit says the supply will be 1600 amps and the appended note from an inspector yesterday says "Slab area at utility transformer only -- on final there might be third party issues - electrodes covered before they were inspected -- main is to be set at 800 amp" Is that bad?

Main permit details
WebPermit 6.3.0.5 - Building Permit

Inspector's update
WebPermit 6.3.0.5 - Electrical Requests Detail (public view)

For kicks I started clicking through the permit and noticed something added yesterday. Now I know nothing about how all this works but the main permit says the supply will be 1600 amps and the appended note from an inspector yesterday says "Slab area at utility transformer only -- on final there might be third party issues - electrodes covered before they were inspected -- main is to be set at 800 amp" Is that bad?

Main permit details
WebPermit 6.3.0.5 - Building Permit

Inspector's update
WebPermit 6.3.0.5 - Electrical Requests Detail (public view)

Should be fine.

The Distribution Center in the Supercharger Equipment Enclosure is like the breaker panel in your house. An 800 Amp main is like you having an 800 Amp panel. The big difference is that this one is 480 Volts and 3-Phase. The total kVA from that is about 665 kVA. Because the Supercharger Cabinets look almost like a resistive load, that is about 665 kW AC in. Each Supercharger Cabinet can use up to 150 kW AC in to produce 135 kW DC out, so the 800 Amp limit will support 4 Supercharger Cabinets and 8 Supercharger Stalls. I am guessing that Charlotte is a 6 or 8 Stall Supercharger Site.

Should be fine.

The Distribution Center in the Supercharger Equipment Enclosure is like the breaker panel in your house. An 800 Amp main is like you having an 800 Amp panel. The big difference is that this one is 480 Volts and 3-Phase. The total kVA from that is about 665 kVA. Because the Supercharger Cabinets look almost like a resistive load, that is about 665 kW AC in. Each Supercharger Cabinet can use up to 150 kW AC in to produce 135 kW DC out, so the 800 Amp limit will support 4 Supercharger Cabinets and 8 Supercharger Stalls. I am guessing that Charlotte is a 6 or 8 Stall Supercharger Site.

Photos show it at 8 stalls. I'm getting they'll have a 750 kVA utility transformer feeding the switch gear.

Local Tesla owners in Charlotte will get together this week Friday at 11.30 AM to "celebrate" the new Super Charger in Charlotte to get activated that day.

see the facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/CarolinasTeslaOwnersAndFans/

"Getting ready to send the Tesla Owners Charlotte Press Release for a Press Conference this Friday 2/6 at the new Charlotte Tesla Charging Station @ 2720 W. Mallard Creek Church Road"

Plan is to get together and have lunch at one of the restaurants nearby, for example at House of Leng

Hope y'all can make it