Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Chugiak, AK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Screenshot_20220809-223757.png

Nos. 2 &3: Finishing the internal cabling. The electrician gave me a cutoff of the wiring used; perhaps I’ll share a pic tomorrow. I can’t eyeball the difference between 4/0 and 250 MCM, but it’s aluminum, not copper. Anyway, it’s rated to 1000V, rather than the more prosaic 600V.
1663131035278.jpeg

Last edited:
No.5: Stake marks the site of where the transformer will be located. Chugach Elecric has not yet even run the cables from its primary site at this location, which is almost 80 yds away, around the rear side of the Three Bears building and completely under asphalt, so there is quite a lot for the utility co. to do before this SpC is operational.
1663131217845.jpeg

We’re counting on the obvious, which is that SpCs will be stretched along the Parks Hwy before Tesla even starts along the Glenn/Richardson Rtes, which is our traditional travel route, as well as the only winter route (Our Denali Hwy, as all Alaskans know, is abandoned by the state for seven months out of each year). But if we get a full charge in Cantwell, drive carefully, and road & weather conditions are favorable, then from May through September we can make it home.
However, as others noted above, the 191 miles between this Chugiak location and Cantwell is a parlous stretch. The obvious intermediate location is the junction of the Parks and the Talkeetna “stub”, at that for,we “Diamond” location, which I’m seeing GoogleMaps is calling “So. Susitna”. That slices the hop into a 79 and a 111 mile, safer, two hops.
The electrician said he didn’t know, but “had heard” that Cantwell is next.

No.5: Stake marks the site of where the transformer will be located. Chugach Elecric has not yet even run the cables from its primary site at this location, which is almost 80 yds away, around the rear side of the Three Bears building and completely under asphalt, so there is quite a lot for the utility co. to do before this SpC is operational.
View attachment 852334
I think this is MEA territory, not Chugach?

I finally measured that cable. Much bigger than 4/0 - that, in aluminum, is 0.475”; this is almost 0.75” (both w/o sheathing).

MCM250 is 0.520”

MCM500 is 0.736” … so I’ll go with that.

My stub shows only the final “W-2” in the type code; a little sleuthing suggests that‘s XHHW-2, which has an ampacity rating of 310A @ 75*C and 350A @ 90*C.

Dang. Compared to 12ga Romex, it’s about as flexible as a 20 lb. I-beam.

1663536390374.jpeg