Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Clayton, NM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On another note, I would have preferred Tesla started work in Clayton over Alvarado/Burlesson SC.
I think, though I have no information to support this idea, that they got Burleson more-or-less thrown in to the deal when they got their agreement with Texas Best Smokehouse to host the Henrietta supercharger (Burleson is also hosted by Texas Best Smokehouse). So, more like a two-in-one deal than Tesla setting out specifically to scout and develop the Burleson site.

I travel every summer between Austin (Dripping Springs actually) and Breckenridge, CO. I now have a Model S 75 and I am not sure how to make this work without the Lubbock and Clayton Super Chargers. Any suggestions? What is a good top end range to plan for between chargers?

I travel every summer between Austin (Dripping Springs actually) and Breckenridge, CO. I now have a Model S 75 and I am not sure how to make this work without the Lubbock and Clayton Super Chargers. Any suggestions? What is a good top end range to plan for between chargers?

Seems like are a good candidate for the new adapter to get access to third-party DC chargers. :)

We drove from Austin TX to Amarillo and stayed at Holiday Inn near the Supercharger. I have a 2016 Model S90D and the Nav system told me to slow down multiple times to make it from Amarillo to Trinidad. With the headwinds and elevation change, it would be difficult to make it with a Model 75. As previously said, if you want to go the shortest way, I think you would need to stop at a RV Park and charge for a few hours. The only other option is to travel on the interstates which is longer.

Hopefully we will see a Supercharger in Clayton in the next year. We drive from Austin to Denver and the Clayton SC would allow us to keep our speed up.

Here's a thread which discusses the Amarillo, TX to Trinidad, CO superchargers portion of the drive (i.e. the portion that would benefit from Clayton being built): Amarillo to Trinidad, CO supercharger stats - round trip

There's a bunch of folks who have done it in one direction, the other, or both with a bunch of different Tesla models that have commented on it. Plus suggestions on strategies.

Reactions: reddy
Almost a year on from the start of the thread, and a couple months since the last update. Was just wondering if anyone had seen anything further, here.

I've not used the Henrietta SC yet, and I've made the Amarillo <-> Trinidad leg in our M3D.. (with a 1 hour pitstop at an RV park in Clayton @34 degrees F) .. I'd be in absolute love when this leg is less stressful.

This could be nothing, but looking at permits and location requests for Clayton, I found the survey/design firm William H Smith and Assoc, Houston office , requesting a survey for a whole block around the Clayton Ranch Market. The work type is described as 'Proposed Design' and the requesting party was simply listed as "Clark".

"Need to locate the East half of the BLK 1147 (Ranch Market) from the approaches on the North and South Side of the block and bearing East to the opposite curb of S 2nd St. and to the opposite curb of Pine and Oak st. KMZ available if you call Jeff Knowlton (307)660-8278."

This could be for something totally unrelated, but to have a big national firm asking for marking the Ranch Market parking lot raised some flags for me. It also looks like dig requests for Tesla now don't actually say Tesla on them. They put it in somebody else's name now.

Checking on the Houston address for WH Smith, this is actually an upscale residential apartment complex. So perhaps somebody working from home ? The area code maps to Wyoming, which is where William H Smith is headquartered.

Last edited:
This is the area of interest. A strip of parking along Oak St near 2nd street on the west side of the Ranch Market. The red roof of the Pizza Hut on Hwy 87 is in the background. On the other side of the Ranch Market is a Family Dollar store.

IMO, this would be the ideal location for a Tesla supercharger in Clayton.

ClaytonRanchMkt.JPG

It actually says "Coming soon in 2020."
Tesla missed the last 3 years in installing one in Clayton. In December 2020, they will probably say “Coming soon in 2021”.

I drove from Austin TX to Avon CO in June of this year and the elevation change and the wind out of the West makes it tough for a S90D from Amarillo to Trinidad. I had to slow down to 60-65 mph for a period of time. You need a 100D to make the distance without having to slow down. Coming back it was a much easier.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf and wjax