Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - College Station, TX - Texas Avenue South

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A couple of (maybe) news items about this location.

First the most promising change.

I normally survey the entire HEB lot late at night, so I sort of know what's 'normal' and abnormal behavior.

Tonight I went by and the back of the store has like a mini-parking lot, about 16-24 parking slots that are almost always empty, far more maneuvering room back there and it would make a better location for charging. The area is shared by the dual loading docks at the back of the store.. but there is more than ample extra room for those trucks as well. - But the City Building permit says HEB 'Fuel Lot' ..so I'll keep to the assumption that is the final destination.

Well.. tonight.. low and behold there was this large railway car dropped right on the asphalt across 7 parking slots.

IMG_4191.jpg
IMG_4192.jpg

There is nothing telling about it, or specific to Tesla or any company connected with the installation.. that I can see.. but its definitely out of order, and abnormal.

It also reminds me of the type of shipping container often used for tool storage on mobile construction sites that aren't long term. Kind of a temporary "lock box" for tools and supplies. I can't prove this is "connected to the Tesla project" but I have seen Electrical Contractors use this type of portable storage rig before when prepping a new building construction site for transformers and stuff .. before the concrete foundations pads get poured.

I did not think this would be that big of a setup.

But maybe it is.

Maybe they needed a place to stage tools and equipment.. and plan to minimize the disruption and down time of the HEB Fuel lot while installing the Tesla equipment?

The HEB Fuel lot is still devoid of any signs of construction or preparations for construction.

IMG_4200.jpg

The HEB Fuel lot pumps are shutoff or down a little after midnight.. so if they were planning on working "overnight" during installation.. assuming they prepared all the equipment near that Mobile Mini rail car behind the store.. they could almost totally guarantee no disruption to the HEB Fuel Lot during the day.

And here's the other interesting News.

The drive through car wash has its own transformer.. and its the Size of a Small House right next to Texas Avenue..

I had missed it because its painted dark green on a green patch of lawn and there are shade trees near by casting it in a shadow.

I sort of ignored the notion something was there because I thought it was a service building.. but its one gigantic transformer. And it services the drive through car wash, the fuel island.. and maybe more in the area.. But all the nearest businesses are "closed" lights out and dark after 12 midnight.. so another good reason to stage and then perform construction over night.. no disruption to any of the local businesses.

I have no idea what their schedule might be .. if this is it.. but the Tesla website says "Target opening in Q4 2022" and there are only three months left.. two of which we call "2-week" months since most things are closed over the Holiday weekends.

There are still a couple weeks left in September.. but not a lot of time.

I'll keep visiting and keep an eye out for signs of activity.

Something else I noticed too.. the Smoothie King next door shares the building with two Gyms.. tell me that's not ironic?

And for the less athletically inclined.. across Texas Avenue.. is a Starbucks.

I'm still not crazy about all the Flood control Curbs.. and I don't think any kind of Tesla with a trailer will fit in this lot.. but things are looking up.

One night a gasoline tanker was delivering fuel and it had to siddle up next to the pump line at the far edge of the lot and not go any deeper.. there was just no room for him to turn.

There is a website for Mobile Mini dot Com

Very interesting

Standard Storage Containers

It looks like the Tri-Cam door model - "Our patented Tri-Cam Locking System provides bank-vault security with interlocking bars for your valuable items"

What Is Shipping Container Storage?

They’re basically standard shipping containers! While they may seem like an odd choice for storage, container storage units are naturally strong, as they’re used to carrying cargo across the world on trains and ships. They’re also almost impossible to damage or destroy. These containers are designed to keep valuable goods safe and intact through long and arduous journeys, so imagine how secure your business supplies and equipment will be.

The description sounds to me like a "drop ship" container for long distance delivery of construction materials requiring high security.

Its still remotely possible the store could be using it for something, but its not on their dry dock, and they have trucks coming and going all the time. HEB has warehouses all over Texas.

This really kind of fits the bill for something being shipped from out of state, or to be used for a near term construction project.

... aannnD

Maybe not Newz .. that Tesla does partner with Mobile Mini when starting up Tesla Supercharger Construction Projects..

Here was one in the UK from October 2021 .. Mobile Mini is World Wide, there are other examples throughout North America.

d50c03aa-924a-4237-b924-01f54921825a-jpeg.719100

Last edited:
San Antonio's Municipal Government has been somewhat (understatement?) been openly Hostile to Tesla or anything connected with Elon. They have made close to threatening statements in the Press.

I suggest if you want Superchargers in San Antonio you participate in municipal elections.

I'll leave it at that.

I got no dog in this fight.. I live a long ways away.

Just check whatever news site or social media .. input San Antonio.. its not hard to find.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Haven't been over to the HEB Fuel lot in a few days, but my CCS1 adapter arrived from Tesla.

The Brookshire Bros. fuel lot across from the TAMU campus has two 50 KW DC Fast Chargers. They get poor reviews as broken all the time.

But I found they work great.

brookshirebros.JPG

First they are EV Connect, and do (not) accept credit cards, they have the readers, but the readers are disabled/broken.. not turned on.

Second the EV Connect app has to be installed on your phone, and paired with a credit card (in the app) before you travel there or it will not work.

I am guessing, but the EV Connect network seems to not rely on (on site) LTE or WiFi.. it collects billing from the app and takes care of settlement later.. so its very fast to start a charging session, and the emailed receipt comes.. but is slightly delayed.

Also the Charger is (very) Tesla 'like' .. in that it proactively publishes when a Stall is occupied in the app, so you know before you get there.

They also sell keyfobs on the EV Connect website, if you don't have a cell phone, or don't want to install an App .. that would be the most like a Tesla Supercharger experience.

If you do (something "uber" dumb) - like pull the charge handle from the holster (before) starting a charge session .. it will (lock) the stall and not let you initiate a charge session. You have to put it back in the holster and wait.. wait.. wait.. for the stall to reset. 5 minutes !!

From what I can tell the 20 something kids have no patience and run away and brand them as broken..

These are true DC Fast chargers, they are only 50 KW but charged my 2022 Model Y at 1 percent of the battery pack per minute, so 30 percent in 30 minutes.

The cost is (three times x3) the cost of charging at home at $0.35 but that currently matches most Tesla Superchargers around Texas at the moment.

The idle Fee is $5.00 per minute for an abandoned or unoccupied car.. I think it starts really quick after you stop charging.. so better rocket out of there.

There is no-way at all.. a trailer can get to these chargers.. a high concrete flood curb is right in front of the parking lots with the stalls. Its kind of like a retaining wall. The charge cables are also short.. and either side of the two stalls is surrounded by flood curbs.. so you can't even block multiple stalls just to get access to one stall. - I mention this because it is right across the street from the on campus RV parking lots.. so a lot of trailer traffic during game weekends.. no way, no how.

Just be absolutely sure you install the app, activate it, and connect a credit card to it.. before leaving home.. it won't work I don't think standing in front of the chargers. I came prepared. The app uses a Session button to open the App camera to scan the QR code on the stall your trying to start a charge session with.. its a little different from a Tesla Supercharger.. but really.. I came prepared.. and other than doing the (dumb thing) pulling the charge connector and then having to sit there waiting five minutes for the stall to reset after I put it back.. it was a relatively frictionless experience.

Uploaded a video review to the Now You Know guys.. but I think I 'boomered it' big time.. I called the charge connector a 'Gun' .. and I think they ban that as hate speech in some parts of the US. - So who knows if they can edit around it.

Last edited:
Glad that station worked for you!

I had all sorts of trouble earlier this year. It would only charge for about 30 seconds. Then it locked onto my chademo adapter and wouldn’t release it. No answer after listening to music on hold for 30 min.

Plugshare did say it was repaired, but I haven’t been in the area recently.

The Level 2 chargers in the campus garages and all around campus are Plugshare.

But I just went straight to the EV Connect network since they manufactured the Tritiums.

It never occurred to me to try to use Plugshare as a "go between" the network and the charger.. perhaps that is why the support was so poor.

I was most intrigued by the DC Fast Charge capability, so that's why I did so much research on them before the CCS1 adapter arrived.

At this location, I think LTE and WiFi is particularly bad.. cell service is there.. but spotty.. so trying to install an App.. I would think almost intolerably long.. if you could succeed.

It surprised me when the App enabled the charger so fast..

Its also very easy to confuse the 45 terminal with the 46 terminal right next to it.. a lot of people obviously initiated the opposite terminal trying to avoid using the QR code.. which is why I mentioned the keyfob.. then you can't enable the wrong one.

But also a lot.. and I do mean .. a lot.. of reviews on various sites.. pull the Gun from the holster first and shove it into their car.. and then try to start a session.

That won't work, I tried.. the stall is already taken off the network as "occupied" as soon as you pull that Gun.. so you've locked it, and yourself, out of the network.. you can't start a charge session.

I don't know Chademo .. I believe its White Knight.. Nissan ? .. has abandoned it for CCS.. so while its still here for now.. it may not get much love from support anymore. That's got to suck for owners who depend on Chademo.

Tesla only just started selling CCS1 adapters on their website last week.. and I saw it in a youtube video and ordered one right away.

Reactions: XHabjab
Haven't been over to the HEB Fuel lot in a few days, but my CCS1 adapter arrived from Tesla.

The Brookshire Bros. fuel lot across from the TAMU campus has two 50 KW DC Fast Chargers. They get poor reviews as broken all the time.

But I found they work great.

View attachment 858533

First they are EV Connect, and do (not) accept credit cards, they have the readers, but the readers are disabled/broken.. not turned on.

Second the EV Connect app has to be installed on your phone, and paired with a credit card (in the app) before you travel there or it will not work.

Had my Second DC Fast charge at this location with the Tesla CCS1 Adapter, all went well.

However, there is definitely some (unknown) or at least "not well understood" sequencing involved in initiating a Successful handshake and charge start between the EV Connect charger, the CCS1 Adapter, and the Tesla.

I had thought the first time I was just doing everything wrong and it would be smooth sailing the second time.

Eh.. not quite so much.

The EV Connect app has multiple levels of "starting" - if I understood when the session was "completely" started - I could step-by-step move on to attaching the CCS1 Adapter and then plugging it in.. its not quite that easy to tell when the Session is "completely" started.

I can guess after attaching the CCS1 Adapter to the EV charge connector, the CSS1 Adapter also has its needed 'dwell time' while they talk.

And then after the Tesla is plugged in, there seems to be a beat.. before it transitions from Blue to Green and actually started charging.

The EV Connect charge connector seems to have a mechanical grabber to hold on to the CCS1 Adapter, and the CCS1 Adapter seems to have a mechanical grabber (or) the Tesla grabs the CCS1 Adapter.. I'm not sure I hear mechanical "clicks" but I'm not entirely sure which is grabbing which.

I tend to kind of get impatient, the EV Connect charge connector is "heavy", the CCS1 Adapter is "heavy" and I'm a short guy at 5 foot 5 inches.. and have to stretch to get high enough to get an angle just right to shove the CCS1 Adapter with the EV Connect charge connector attached into the Tesla charge port.

Once they are all talking to each other..correctly.. the Tesla goes through its normal cycles on the dashboard screen and begins its charge cycle.

These are a lot of steps.

The benefit is of course a really Fast Charge session.. but getting it all coordinated and started.. takes a bit of dexterity and "luck".. or you have to take everything apart.. and start all over again.

The Tesla port has a near vacuum seal, the CCS1 Adapter has a large vacuum seal to the EV Connect charge connector and the EV Connect charge connector has kind of a vacuum seal at the holster to keep it out of the elements and clean.. so it takes a lot of mechanical strength in your arms to deal with all of that.

I'm hoping its of benefit to people to "know" - yes - it does work, its not broken.

But also its not well understood yet, and its not easy.. especially for smaller people, or less Arnold Schwarzenegger muscled people.

I did order an EV Connect "keyfob" and hope that makes things easier, but it can't help with Earths Gravity.. that's still a problem, "here in the future".

October 1, 2022 Update to the HEB Fuel Lot

I did go by the HEB location that is scheduled to receive the 8 stall Tesla SuperCharger.

Nothing new.

The "mobile-mini" shipping container is still parked out back of the main HEB store.

The 12 parking spaces where I "think" they will install the 8 stalls, hasn't been touched and it doesn't look like any construction prep work is being done.

Its turning colder here in Texas, its 55 degrees F this morning.

And since its Oct 1, we've officially entered into the 4th Quarter of 2022, which is the stated Target date for the deployment at this location on the Tesla Supercharger website.

I don't know if its connected, but they seem to have had a lot of trouble turning up the Bastrop, TX location about half way to Austin from here.

The hardware was installed, but it looked like they had some sort of administrate snafu with the local government and it took longer than estimated to turn it on. That might have knock-on scheduling effects to this location, since some equipment couldn't be moved until that was online. - I know nothing for sure.. just heard some things I probably shouldn't have.

Last edited:
CCS1 and speculations - on my part.

The Tesla CCS1 Adapter is a "lot" smaller than the Tesla Chademo Adapter.

And I wouldn't recommend buying a Chademo Adapter unless that's all you got near you and can really justify it.

From what I know Chademo is "kind of" going away, not quickly.. but world wide, the CCS connector looks more favored.

Now, the CCS connector is huge, clunky and difficult for "normal" sized people to lumber around with.. it also makes the cables awkward to twist and turn.

Why its designed the way a CCS connector is designed makes no sense to me, its full of "history".. but also full of bad engineering decisions.

But.

CCS or Chademo DC Fast Charge is all I got for now, and CCS networks are the second most numerous in North America.. so its what I went with.

The Tesla CCS1 Adapter is solid, its like humongous, "cast" ABS plastic, just this side of being a "solid rock".

I don't think it is its size because of a transformer or anything, its based on DC current, so its mostly metallic connectors inside, but there must be some relays and an electronics board inside. Its no doubt its size and heft.. to prevent warping, cracking or damage from potentially damaging the CCS connector or the Tesla port.

I could "wish" for it to be lighter.. or smaller.. but I sort of understand why it had to be this huge "bucket size" Adapter you can barely hold in one hand.

Lifting it up in one hand, while lifting up the CCS connector from the charger up in the other to "push" them together to form a vacuum seal.. is "work".. it is not.. no way, no how - "easy". And when you pull them "apart" there is a very "Substantial" ('POP') noise.. its not a loud 'pop' but its an audible 'sucking, reluctant 'pop'.. when you finally get them to let go.

I'm just saying.. this will make you weep for joy.. when using a Tesla Supercharger connector.. its the size and heft of something an elderly person would have no trouble with.. the CCS Adapter should draw huge armies of lawyers on the 'Persons with Disabilities' side filing law suits against the US Government for selecting CCS as a standard.

Tesla is doing .. what it can.. but Government.. is gonna Guvment.

Last edited:
Tesla - "Petting Zoo"

Thought I would throw this out there as well.

Tesla has been saying they are going to open up Tesla Superchargers to other EV manufacturer vehicles.

There has been a lot of "nashing of teeth" when there doesn't seem to be enough Superchargers for all of the Tesla vehicles coming online.

From what I heard, where possible they are planning to corral off a section of the lot, like a little "Petting Zoo" area just for oddball EV connectors.

That would make sense because the new Supercharger locations seem to be stepping down from 12 stalls to 8 stalls.. and I am guessing, but - maybe - they are leaving a little 4 stall area just for those other EV vehicles.

There is indeed room in adjacent or other corners of the HEB Fuel lot for a small "Petting Zoo" and since those vehicles, unless they are Hybrids, may need a much longer charger cycle.. can pretty much remain out of the way and let the Tesla vehicles cycle in an out much faster.

That probably won't be possible in every case.. and I assume Tesla will have to make decisions about is it cheaper to manufacture custom add-ons or connectors to octopus spider off the current charger terminals, or sell adapters.. I don't envy them that task. - for now, since they sell Telsa CCS1 and Chademo Adapters, I would guess they will go with selling Adapters.

Third DC Fast Charge at the Brookshire Bros across the street from the University.

I think I've got the sequence perfected now, working with the EV Connect App and the Tesla CCS1 Adapter.

Mostly it came down to the EV Connect App, you use the App, Scan the QR code with App Camera and then have to pick the Chademo or the CCS Connector and wait until the App slaps at you and says, "Be Sure your Vehicle is plugged in to Start Charging" - its just a near Solid light Blue Window that kind of looks like its preparing to do something, but never does.. it just does that Twinkling thing and does that all the time your there. It never moves on to anything else.

I think put my iPhone back into my pocket to free up both hands, I don't bother to toggle the screen off.

Then unsaddle the CCS side Connector Gun from its EV Connect Holster and pickup the Tesla CCS1 Adapter and hook the lip of the bottom of the Adapter with the Vampire fangs over the bottom lip and pivot to shove the head of the Adapter into the EV Connector Gun.. and then heave ho to jump up and shove the whole CCS1 plus EV Connector Sword with the Adapter Cable into the Tesla Charging Port.. and it goes blue. (i'm short 5'5" so jumping up and dunking the basketball.. is a familiar maneuver)

A couple beats later the EV Connect charger whirls a little fan and the Tesla Charging Port goes Green.. and away we go.

Meanwhile I get a little beep from my iPhone Messaging App that says I got an SMS text message from EV Connect and it says the Charging session has begun.

It was in the 50F's this morning and I only got 35 KW charge rate, when it was warmer I got up to 48 KW charge rate.. but it still only took about 30 minutes to charge about 30 percent of the battery pack. I'm not sure how it does that but it seems to always manipulate things to make each session about 30 minutes long.

My EV Connect keyfob shipped about a week ago, but I still haven't got it.

I can't wait to see what App-less charging will be like.

There will be no more QR App Camera to start charging I assume since the sensor in the pedestal should only enable the charger I'm standing at.

Its weird Fast Charging and not seeing a report from Tesla about how much that location costs to charge at.. but the Tesla App only reports on Tesla Superchargers. The Tezla App does report on the session though.. I keep forgetting to use that.

I live in an Apartment, and its hard living on Level 2 even with Level 2 chargers scattered around town.. coordinating a lot of time around leaving your car in one location so long is painful. I don't think I could do it as a student.. but as an individual.. it was just barely tolerable. DC Fast Charging and Supercharging makes a big difference to someone who has to leave their car parked at an Apartment complex with no chargers at all.

Haven't been back to the HEB Fuel Lot lately, like I said its starting to turn cold.. nice and warm during the middle of the day.. but if Tesla doesn't hurry up construction they are gonna get to know how brutal Texas Cold Fronts can be to work in. The first ones are "no fun at all". And it only gets worse the deeper into the Fall we get.

EV Connect keyfob arrived in the mail last night.. funny but I have a nearly full battery pack right now, so will probably have to wait until tomorrow to try it out.

I'll go by the HEB Fuel lot tonight and see if there are any signs of construction, its a little out of the way so should drain more of the battery pack.

Anyway,

The keyfob looks like one of those grocery store plastic coupon cards for tracking your purchases and getting a discount.

It says something about an RFID chip, so I guess that's how it works.

There is a little printed and etched number on the card, but I've blanked it out.

I could use the App or a Website to attach it to my account.. I just used the App and it seemed to bind properly.

keyfob.jpg

I did in a round about way verify that Plug-share "might" work with this location, though I have still never tried that method.

EV Connect seems to partner with various networks, and site owners of where the chargers are placed.

Their FAQ says its up to the site owner to set the rates and any fees for idling or loitering at a charger parking space.

Apparently some of the reviews for this site said when the store was brand new and just opened, charging was free .. and normative rates were only set later. That makes sense for a grand opening.

I know Plug-share is one of the bigger networks, but I have never really been a fan myself.. their app and coordinating a charge session seems more akin to setting up a Hotel reservation for the distant future. Doing it on the fly deep in the dungeon of a parking garage with little or no WiFi or Cell.. seemed impossible. There was no backup plan.

In fact EV Connect "talks like" all interactions with Third Party networks were a "reservation" system.. and reminded me of that check-in desk at the airport. They even have a feature where these other networks can charge extra-fees for "reservation violations". That's just nuts. - Its as far from a frictionless Tesla Supercharger experience as you can get.

Thankfully (?) most of the time I've been forced to use Plug-share.. the chargers are broken anyway.. and I just move on and find a Tesla Supercharger.

Thats still not really an option in Bryan/College Station .. if your looking for DC Fast charge.. the absolute nearest Tesla Supercharger is in Madisonville, TX.

Something I recall from my last Tesla CCS1 charging session, when pulling the adapter off.. it was cold, not warm.. not exactly freezing either.. just ambient temperature.. didn't feel like it was heating up being part of the circuit. I assume this a further confirmation there is no transformer or elaborate guts inside.. its probably just a smart electronics board and set of relays.

Last edited:
Not sure if old info, this page shows 2 coming soon location in cstat https://www.tesla.com/findus/list/superchargers/United+States

College Station, TX (coming soon)
1900 Texas Ave S
College Station, TX 77840

College Station, TX (coming soon)
175 Century Square Dr
College Station, TX 77840

Saw the list from web article Tesla leaks the locations of planned Superchargers across the world
Does the address still show up? It doesn't show up for me when I click it.

Incredible find btw

Well Keyfobs (do not work) at the Bryan/ College Station, Brookshire Bros. DC Fast Charge location:

I am guessing that there is "zero" Internet connectivity to these Charger terminals now, before it was mostly a suspicion that the EV Connect method was to conduct all transactions through the EV Connect App on your phone, because it could then reach out from your phone later when there was WiFi or LTE connectivity.

There is LTE connectivity at this location.. but it is very bad. Very low bandwidth and spotty. - That is also why I strongly warned to install the app on your phone before arrival, and to associate a credit card with your app (before) traveling to this location.

The EV Connect text messages, and settlement email come much delayed or much later, just like you would expect if you had to get out of the null zone where the LTE was bad and your phone eventually sync'ed back up with the Internet.

The one thing the terminals appear, to do (again this could be thru your phone) is broadcast they are in use. But that could be updated by using anyone's phone who was actually activating a session, even if there is spotty connectity. A terminal status update proxied by the App to the Internet, wouldn't need a lot of bandwidth or consistent connectivity

Fourth Charge at this location though, using the App QR Camera activates consistently, and reliably... I am really getting used to the step-by-step procedure.

I can easily see how figuring out the correct sequence, could frustrate and cause people to give up on these DC Fast Chargers, but once you've seen it done once.. or done it a couple of times.. muscle memory kicks in and its super simple and quick.

This is what the EV Connect App looks like (after) you have used the Half-circle charge button to activate the App QR Camera, and moved on to (then) select a Charge holster gun (CCS or Chademo), and (then) select a payment type, the associated credit card should be offered as a payment type and be auto selected, you just click next and then changes to the screen below (it stays on this "spinner" screen for the entire charge session, even if the iphone screen goes dark;

evconnect-session.PNG

I did go by the HEB Fuel lot (10/7), and there is still no sign of construction.

I did see the Tesla (leaked) locations for Coming Soon.

Its a bit confusing. The second location was University and Texas Avenue.

4 Corners of that intersection are occupied;

1. World of Bob Brewery and Grill, 5 story building, sidewalk space only, no parking
2. Exxon station, very tight high traffic, no room for a parking spot
3. U-Haul lot full of Student moving vans and very busy, no room for idle parking
4. University Property Marker and greens, sidewalks.. but zero opportunity for even pouring concrete

Unless they take out the Exxon Station or the U-Haul,

I just don't see anyway realistically they could squeeze in even a small Supercharger there.. those properties are highly profitable and very busy.

The other two are no-go, you would have to tear down an Apartment Block of Buildings or get the University to change a landmark.

I do recall several years ago that location was on an (old Map); it was kind of a Pipe dream even then.. the U-Haul was less busy and that was the only place practical.. today.. they just can't afford the space.

I believe based on this (the Leak, is of Past.. wishful thinking or plans.. perhaps all of the Leaked locations were.. like it was a confluence of old database data overlayed with current for "testing" purposes?)

It just doesn't make any sense.

I keep an eye on City Hall building permits, and Tesla has one for the HEB Fuel lot from three months ago, but not the proposed location in the Leaks.

Last edited:
If the EV Connect App didn't request access to bluetooth, require touching the charger, or connect to a special WiFi... It likely did not connect directly to the charger. The app probably talked to the central server and that talked to the charger.