Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Harker Heights, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Harker Heights, TX

Host Type: Mall
Host: Market Heights
Along Primary Interstates: I-14
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-190
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

I-14

To: End (I-35/US-190 near Belton, TX) - 13.6 miles
Diversion: 2.3 miles

US-190

To: Madisonville, TX - 140.7 miles
Diversion: 2.9 miles
To: Huntsville, TX (v2) - 166.7 miles

I learned something today. There is an I-14. It's currently only 25.1 miles long and has Harker Heights, TX on it.
It may ultimately extend from I-10 or I-20 further West in Texas to another Interstate in Georgia.

Anyway, also a good splitter on US-190.

This one makes no sense. I live about 14 miles away. The Temple charger is about 25 miles away. While there are Teslas here, I do not think anyone around here will use it and there is not traffic passing through for it to be viable, because not many folks travel through Lampasas to get go anywhere west or north

• Disagree
Reactions: XHabjab
This one makes no sense. I live about 14 miles away. The Temple charger is about 25 miles away. While there are Teslas here, I do not think anyone around here will use it and there is not traffic passing through for it to be viable, because not many folks travel through Lampasas to get go anywhere west or north
Just curious - would it have anything to do with Ft. Cavazos? Teslas on post? Visitors?

Tesla seems to be opening a corridor between I-10 and I-20. Look at the new permits on supercharge.info in west central Texas.

As a practical matter for me, I live in Abilene, and I make trips to Temple and Waco areas several times a year. I would definitely like to use this one. Also, as said above, this (along with some other west central area permits) will open up more direct travel from certain parts of west Texas and the panhandle to central and east Texas while bypassing the DFW area.

Never going to complain about a new DCFC site. Remember, these also support locals that can’t charge at home or at work. Having a local Superchargee might be all that is needed for some people to buy a Tesla (or any other SV).

Last edited:
Just curious - would it have anything to do with Ft. Cavazos? Teslas on post? Visitors?
As far as I can tell there are less than 100 teslas in the Killeen area which includes Copperas Cove and Harker Heights. They are still a fairly rare sight around here. I doubt many on base have one since they can not install home chargers there. The average household income around here is less than $50,000/ year.

As far as I can tell there are less than 100 teslas in the Killeen area which includes Copperas Cove and Harker Heights. They are still a fairly rare sight around here. I doubt many on base have one since they can not install home chargers there. The average household income around here is less than $50,000/ year.
Duh! Of course. I had not thought of the fact that folks could not install home chargers on post housing. Tnx.

The other thing to remember when additional SCs show up is that also give great alternatives when we start seeing full locations. That will start to become a thing with NACS becoming more widespread.
Just drive on to the next one

Since Temple has chargers just 20 miles away, it would seem that Lampasas would be a better place for chargers. It is on 190 still but is about 60 miles from temple it is also on 281 which leads south to Johnson City or north to Hamilton City. It is also on 183 leading north west to Brownwood and AbIlene

I learned something today. There is an I-14. It's currently only 25.1 miles long and has Harker Heights, TX on it.
It may ultimately extend from I-10 or I-20 further West in Texas to another Interstate in Georgia.

The I-14 designation is fairly new and also known as the 14th amendment highway. The I-14 designation was approved in 2015. The segment in Killeen/Harker Heights was only just signed in 2017. This was the first signed section of the new interstate, mostly because it was already up to interstate standards.

The entire Texas segment of I-14 is planned to mostly follow the current US-190. Based on some initial plans I've seen; it's going to run East/West between I-10 and I-20 starting in west Texas to somewhere near Fort Gordon in Augusta GA.

Reactions: PStewart
This makes perfect sense! The nearest Tesla Superchargers are the 48 stalls in Temple TX at Bucee's. There are only a few Level 2 chargers at a few dealerships in the area and a 8 plug Graviti Level 2 station located at 4310 Clear Creek Rd in Killeen. Fort Cavazos will have several Level 2 ChargePoint charging stations at the West Fort Cavazos and the Nationsl Mounted Warrior Museum.

IH-14 expansion was included in the Infrastructure Bill and is planned to stretch from El Paso, TX to Georgia connecting to several military installations along the way.
IH-14 Explainer:

1694098362303.png

Reactions: XHabjab
I stopped by there this past weekend. The stated address is the Panda Express. This is a very busy location and would be terrible for Superchargers. They would always be ICEd and would cause dissent from non-Tesla drivers. If this really is the address, I hope the chargers will be placed well to the rear. This is still a busy spot but not "always occupied" like the front of the Panda Express.