Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger completed notice?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First time using supercharger, kept checking how long until it would be finished but never got any notice it was done. Last time I checked it said it was would be finished in 5 minutes so I headed back to the car. Got an email that I had idle fees for 10 minutes (but waived b/c first time) but shouldn't I have received a notification??
If I was supposed to but didn't what am I doing wrong or do I just have to sit in the car while charging to avoid idle fees?

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
The time to completion counts in 5 min increments, so it’s possible that when you saw 5 min left it has been displaying that for the past 4 minutes. You obviously don’t have to stay in the car, but on the other hand you shouldn’t try to cut it that close— nor do you need to wait until completion before you leave. When you have the charge to continue on your trip plus a suitable buffer, move on.

The time to completion counts in 5 min increments, so it’s possible that when you saw 5 min left it has been displaying that for the past 4 minutes. You obviously don’t have to stay in the car, but on the other hand you shouldn’t try to cut it that close— nor do you need to wait until completion before you leave. When you have the charge to continue on your trip plus a suitable buffer, move on.
Actually it was first time charging and I was partly trying to see if the alert worked (not trying to hog it) - so I guess my memory that I would be notified is wrong?

Are you sure you gave the Tesla app permission to send notifications?

Yes and it's set to "high importance" so should send a sound. I guess I know not to count on this, I'll give it a try again in a few weeks - but somehow it doesn't seem fair to charge if the app doesn't work :( I was really hoping it would b/c then I could shop while charging and not get idle fees (I agree with the reason for them as the chargers where I live are quite busy, just wish the app notification worked)

You can still shop while charging— you have a reasonable estimate of how long supercharging will take when you start, you can check the app at any time to see how many miles of range your car has, and you’re given a 5 min grace period. Just don’t cut it so close.

Reactions: KerryOH
You can still shop while charging— you have a reasonable estimate of how long supercharging will take when you start, you can check the app at any time to see how many miles of range your car has, and you’re given a 5 min grace period. Just don’t cut it so close.

Well maybe not in my case, I surely hadn't taken 15 minutes to get to my car from when the charging was complete and the email said

"Idle fees (up to $1.00 per minute) are applied to cars occupying a Supercharger after completing a charging session. Idle fees only apply when at least half the station is in use. Learn more"
It says nothing about any grace period - I just wish I could rely on the app being accurate (not 5 minutes behind as someone said) and notifying me at any time (never got any notification neither timely nor later and no issue about strength of signal). But now at least I know what to expect (hadn't charged at home yet so no clues from that)

Well maybe not in my case, I surely hadn't taken 15 minutes to get to my car from when the charging was complete and the email said

"Idle fees (up to $1.00 per minute) are applied to cars occupying a Supercharger after completing a charging session. Idle fees only apply when at least half the station is in use. Learn more"
It says nothing about any grace period - I just wish I could rely on the app being accurate (not 5 minutes behind as someone said) and notifying me at any time (never got any notification neither timely nor later and no issue about strength of signal). But now at least I know what to expect (hadn't charged at home yet so no clues from that)
Yes, even in your case. See this line in the email you linked to:
"If the car is moved within 5 minutes, the fee is waived." It's always been 5 minutes, I don't know where you got 15 minutes from.
That's been the policy ever since idle fees were started, and is clearly explained on the supercharging section of Tesla's web site. Search grace period here for lots of posts about it. If you leave the space within 5 minutes of completing the charge, no penalty. If you leave at 6 minutes, the penalty is 6 X the per minute fee. But like I said, just don't cut it so close, best to head to the car before you expect charging to be finished. You should know approx. when that will be without depending on a notification telling you that.

There is a notification setting within the app in addition to the notification settings in the phone OS. Both need to be enabled for notifications to occur. In the app, you can set when you want notifications to occur (charging started, charging completed, etc.). The app settings button is the wheel icon on the upper left of the screen.

Unfortunately text messages are not 100% timely. Sometimes there can be a several hour delay especially in an area with low signal strength.

Ain’t that the truth. There was a period where I wasn’t getting the notifications or sometimes Only I would get the notification that charging was done and not my husband, who’s car was charging at work. So as a doublecheck If I saw it I would call him to make sure he knew. You can always set an alarm shorting the time remaining a bit so your reminded a bit earlier. Also believe there are situations depending on phone usage where you might not hear of see a notification. Lately our notification have been better.

I have noticed at our end that we get the charging completed and the idle fees will apply messsge one right after the other.

Reactions: RobC
There is a notification setting within the app in addition to the notification settings in the phone OS. Both need to be enabled for notifications to occur. In the app, you can set when you want notifications to occur (charging started, charging completed, etc.). The app settings button is the wheel icon on the upper left of the screen.
I just looked at the app and found that those notifications are for 240V charging. Below the notification choices it says "Supercharger notifications are always ON."

• Informative
Reactions: TexasEV
I just looked at the app and found that those notifications are for 240V charging. Below the notification choices it says "Supercharger notifications are always ON."

Well the idle fees would naturally be for supercharging. We get completion notifications however when my husband’s charging at work with ChargePoint L2 or at home with our NEMA 14-50 outlet. In fact I start charging at home at 11pm (get notified it started) and almost always get slightly awoken (did last night) by the notification chime around 4 or 5am when it’s done.

Well the idle fees would naturally be for supercharging. We get completion notifications however when my husband’s charging at work with ChargePoint L2 or at home with our NEMA 14-50 outlet. In fact I start charging at home at 11pm (get notified it started) and almost always get slightly awoken (did last night) by the notification chime around 4 or 5am when it’s done.
That is because you have charging notifications turned on in the app. If you turned them off, those 240V charging sessions would not wake you in the middle of the night.

But Supercharger notifications are always on and you cannot turn them off. Unfortunately, they sometimes come late or not at all.

You don’t need those notifications when charging at home. Turn them off. It will not affect supercharger notifications as others have said.

I have found Supercharger notifications to be very unreliable. At home charging notifications work great. Unfortunately I don’t really need the at home notifications to work.

On Friday I got my first notification alerting me to the charging being nearly complete. This is after nearly 1.5 years of ownership.

I think the problem is that as soon as the trip target is met it starts to charge to the set limit. So, once I have enough charge to continue the trip it immediately has a new charge target. I have been in the car and the only thing that changes is it will stop indicating 5 minutes remaining but instead shows the amount of time required to charge to my preset level.

Yes, even in your case. See this line in the email you linked to:
"If the car is moved within 5 minutes, the fee is waived." It's always been 5 minutes, I don't know where you got 15 minutes from.
That's been the policy ever since idle fees were started, and is clearly explained on the supercharging section of Tesla's web site. Search grace period here for lots of posts about it. If you leave the space within 5 minutes of completing the charge, no penalty. If you leave at 6 minutes, the penalty is 6 X the per minute fee. But like I said, just don't cut it so close, best to head to the car before you expect charging to be finished. You should know approx. when that will be without depending on a notification telling you that.

I was quoting from the email which said nothing about a grace period (but hadn't looked on the website about it). So it is possible it took me 10 minutes to notice it was finished and walk to the car (I got 15 from 5 minute grace plus the 10 I would have been charged for - but your explanation of how it works makes sense).

I got NO notification telling me anything just was looking at the app frequently to see when it would be done - I'm on a learning curve since this was my first time charging,