Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Concord, CA - Diamond Blvd. (LIVE 15 Jan 2021, 16 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all!

I was charging @ Concord CA and decided to walk to Krispy Kreme (closed for walkins). I noticed a large EV construction project in the back parking lot (against the freeway) of Benihana’s. Looked up the permit-and it says supercharger!

Attachments

• 45FCDC9E-F60B-4376-8055-A5C485DBCA12.jpeg
    45FCDC9E-F60B-4376-8055-A5C485DBCA12.jpeg
    172.4 KB · Views: 282
It would be interesting to know if this is considered a separate Supercharger site or an expansion of the existing Concord.

Bruce.

I imagine it will have to be treated as separate in order to give accurate driving directions. Driving, it's half a mile out of one shopping center and into the other. Also, the site hosts may prefer not to encourage walking through the landscaping to visit the other center. (There is a proper walkway joining the lots, but it's 500 feet east of the existing charger.)

• Informative
Reactions: JeffnReno
Took some pictures tonight. I think they are gonna have to do 12 stalls first then move the construction cause right now I don't think they have enough room for 20 and a megapack

Attachments

• 78D89D3D-0E97-4ACB-B925-C62C020207DB.jpeg
    78D89D3D-0E97-4ACB-B925-C62C020207DB.jpeg
    513.8 KB · Views: 140
  • B5EC4329-23EF-4C09-9EC3-4C6E14854AB0.jpeg
    B5EC4329-23EF-4C09-9EC3-4C6E14854AB0.jpeg
    565.9 KB · Views: 143
  • F74642CB-CD24-4F4F-B4B9-BABB7D36AA4E.jpeg
    F74642CB-CD24-4F4F-B4B9-BABB7D36AA4E.jpeg
    559.6 KB · Views: 143
  • 9EA35BF7-D62A-469F-854D-F583CE3CAB1D.jpeg
    9EA35BF7-D62A-469F-854D-F583CE3CAB1D.jpeg
    646 KB · Views: 139
  • 0758011A-BEA6-44AB-ACA4-B2B51FFD20E0.jpeg
    0758011A-BEA6-44AB-ACA4-B2B51FFD20E0.jpeg
    541 KB · Views: 137
Wow, is this the first Megapack to be installed at a Supercharger? Have only heard of Powerpacks going in at Superchargers...

Link to the Supercharger permit:
Accela Citizen Access

Link to the Megapack permit:
Accela Citizen Access

Both were initially submitted in April 2020.
The Traver, CA supercharger currently in construction also has a permit for installing a Megapack. We'll have to see which one gets done first if you want to talk about primacy of actual installation.

EDIT: Link to Traver thread post with mention of Megapack addition. The next post has a link to the building permit.

Last edited:
This makes me wonder if the existing Concord one in the adjacent center (The Veranda) will removed. The Veranda center never has enough parking and perhaps the site owners want to utilize the existing space used by the Supercharger? Or, they may just be doing it similar to how the setup is at Mt. Shasta, CA with two Superchargers basically across the street from each other. It does make me wonder as someone who has struggled to find parking in The Veranda...

Do we have a lot of busy chargers on the I-680/580 corridor? I never thought it's busy at Concord or walnut creek urban. Dublin for sure is busy. San Ramon target is busy. San Ramon urban is not busy at all.
For people traveling up/down the coast, often nav systems will say taking 680/880 is faster than looping out to I-5 or 101/280. That's on top of all the locals who don't have home charging and use the SC network as their only charging source.

I was at the Concord Supercharger yesterday Sunday--interesting that many of the mall entrances were blocked off by security (concern for civil unrest after the elections). I walked uphill to the WIllows site. All of the pedestals are in and the stalls marked. Lots of Tesla cabinets/racks. 2 open concrete pads. I assume 1 for the transformer from PG&E, and ? 1 for the Megapack?

Nice to see a doubling of capacity as the Concord site is usually busy and charging gets reduced to 80% a lot.

Wonder how these 2 sites will be demarcated and how accurate occupancy will be.

Update: It looks like most of the visible work here is done. All 16 pedestals are in place as are the charger cabinets. Doesn’t appear to be any major construction left and all the barricades are gone (still a porta potty on site though).

The answer to the $64,000 question: No transformer on the pad yet.

Bruce.

B4B8A4AB-252F-436E-A177-6A6557469FB0.jpeg
28132193-FBE7-4061-9ED7-A5D2DE4312B4.jpeg

Update: It looks like most of the visible work here is done. All 16 pedestals are in place as are the charger cabinets. Doesn’t appear to be any major construction left and all the barricades are gone (still a porta potty on site though).

The answer to the $64,000 question: No transformer on the pad yet.

Bruce.

View attachment 611546 View attachment 611547

I was charging at the 'old' Concord Supercharger today and walked uphill to the new site. There are still 2 empty/open concrete pads there, I assume for PG&E transformer and ???.

• Informative
I was charging at the 'old' Concord Supercharger today and walked uphill to the new site. There are still 2 empty/open concrete pads there, I assume for PG&E transformer and ???.

I only noticed one empty pad when I was there earlier. You can see it in my second photo in post #16 above, with a small cluster of orange poles protected by yellow bollards. That to me looks like a pad for a transformer. Where did you see a second empty pad? (I didn't have a clear view because of the white Tesla van...also I didn't want to disturb the technician who was working on stuff.)

Bruce.

I only noticed one empty pad when I was there earlier. You can see it in my second photo in post #16 above, with a small cluster of orange poles protected by yellow bollards. That to me looks like a pad for a transformer. Where did you see a second empty pad? (I didn't have a clear view because of the white Tesla van...also I didn't want to disturb the technician who was working on stuff.)

Bruce.

2 pads--1 up front and easily visible in your photo. A 2nd pad tucked behind the white Tesla Cabinets in the far corner, and geographically closest to the big PG&E transformer just down the hill at the corner of the existing Supercharger. Both empty. So maybe the 'hidden' one for the transformer and the 2nd for switchgear, breaker panel, disconnect or the like. Maybe both waiting for PG&E. Getting a transformer or other heavy object behind the white Tesla cabinets will require a crane pick, but probably dropping any heavy transformer would be crane pick anyway.

• Informative
Reactions: bmah and JeffnReno
2 pads--1 up front and easily visible in your photo. A 2nd pad tucked behind the white Tesla Cabinets in the far corner, and geographically closest to the big PG&E transformer just down the hill at the corner of the existing Supercharger. Both empty. So maybe the 'hidden' one for the transformer and the 2nd for switchgear, breaker panel, disconnect or the like. Maybe both waiting for PG&E. Getting a transformer or other heavy object behind the white Tesla cabinets will require a crane pick, but probably dropping any heavy transformer would be crane pick anyway.
Referencing the pics in post #16. In the first picture, you can see the 4 Tesla V3 supercharger cabinets in the background to the left of the van. In the second picture, what you see is the switchgear and distribution cabinets and the empty pad in front of them that is protected by bollards is for the utility transformer. If there's another empty pad hiding behind the cabinetry, it's not clear what it would be for. Does it have conduit coming up through it? Guesses on what it might be for are hard to make without having a sense of its size/shape and the layout of any penetrations. A few things I can think of offhand that it might be, 1) pad for additional supercharger cabinet(s) to be added in a possible future expansion; 2) pad for a battery to be connected to the superchargers; 3) additional underground electrical vault needed for some reason; 4) not actually connected to the supercharger build.