Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger-Coral Gables, FL?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW, I drove by yesterday (Friday, Sept 8) on my last pre-Irma supply run. The rear parking lot (where the chargers will be installed) was paved with concrete curbs completed. All heavy equipment and supplies had been cleared away (probably taken into the service bays - the doors were closed). There were a number of workers securing the site, cleaning away any lose debris and construction material. Given that it was constructed at current code, the bldg should be fine during the storm, but I'm not so confident about those new palm trees planted along the Bird Road frontage.

September 15th Photo Update:

The construction site looks relatively unaffected by the Hurricane Irma. Supercharger sites look ready to receive their covers. Not sure if these are going to be traditional superchargers or the new urban style ones. Anyone have insight on this?

Attachments

• IMG_20170915_080649.jpg
    IMG_20170915_080649.jpg
    527.8 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_20170915_080637.jpg
    IMG_20170915_080637.jpg
    486.9 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_20170915_080540.jpg
    IMG_20170915_080540.jpg
    472.6 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_20170915_080534.jpg
    IMG_20170915_080534.jpg
    535.2 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_20170915_080508.jpg
    IMG_20170915_080508.jpg
    671.2 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG_20170915_080503.jpg
    IMG_20170915_080503.jpg
    626.3 KB · Views: 148
Reactions: Acps110
I don't know what the inside of City Superchargers look like, but those look like HPWCs. I don't see any supercharger cabinets in the photos either.
For regular (non-Urban) here's what Supercharger terminals look like prior to installing the terminal cabinets: The photo below is of Pinellas Park.

pinellas-supercharger-construction-4-jpg.240124

Versus this installation:

img_20170915_080508-jpg.247767

Larry

September 22nd photo update:

I could not get very close to the construction site today due to road closures. I was close enough to the supercharger sites to see that the enclosures are not up yet. Lots of activity at the site as usual. They seemed to be paving the road for the parking lot entrance. Maybe after doing some electrical work underground?

Attachments

• IMG_20170922_104358.jpg
    IMG_20170922_104358.jpg
    425.3 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_20170922_104243.jpg
    IMG_20170922_104243.jpg
    545 KB · Views: 117
September 22nd photo update:

I could not get very close to the construction site today due to road closures. I was close enough to the supercharger sites to see that the enclosures are not up yet. Lots of activity at the site as usual. They seemed to be paving the road for the parking lot entrance. Maybe after doing some electrical work underground?
Driving by today, it looked like the showroom is nearly complete!

September 24th Photo Update:

Those large wooden boxes that were seen by @GoCanes the other day are no where to be found. I was hoping they were the supercharger stalls but there is no evidence of their arrival yet. There has not been much activity outside other than the work on the street asphalt. Shot of the showroom shows it is almost complete as @GoCanes mentioned (sorry for glare in photo).

Attachments

• IMG_20170924_153954.jpg
    IMG_20170924_153954.jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_20170924_153938.jpg
    IMG_20170924_153938.jpg
    500.3 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_20170924_153921.jpg
    IMG_20170924_153921.jpg
    608 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_20170924_153918.jpg
    IMG_20170924_153918.jpg
    552.4 KB · Views: 102
Reactions: viperboy
I arrived in Miami today so went by the site. I had a conversation with the site supervisor. According to him all the transformers, conduits and infrastructure has been completed. There are eight Supercharger cabinets inside the building ( I saw them but could not take photos). He said Tesla have become concerned about Supercharger traffic and that the decision has been made to NOT have Superchargers at this location, despite the already complete electrical work and the equipment already in place. Further, I was shown the owners lounge which has been built and has the external entry set up for codes already so owners can have 24 hour access.

It is possible that the site supervisor is wrong; maybe there is more to this story. However, if he is correct there will be no Supercharger for public use at this location.

I have posted photos and more comments in the Service Center thread.

I appreciate the update, and I’m not saying I don’t believe you or the supervisor.

However, simply having congestion at Superchargers in general is a terrible excuse for not opening more locations. Other than walking to Merrick there isn’t a ton to do around here, so I don’t imagine people parking and leaving it for hours. But that’s just imo.....

Good pics btw

Reactions: jbcarioca
That would suck if they don't put chargers there.
Agreed, but if they put them elsewhere in the immediate area that would be fine too. It might be better located at Dadeland or another nearby mall location anyway, since travelers really would not find the Coral Gables Sales and Service Center an ideal location anyway. Time will tell.

I arrived in Miami today so went by the site. I had a conversation with the site supervisor. According to him all the transformers, conduits and infrastructure has been completed. There are eight Supercharger cabinets inside the building ( I saw them but could not take photos). He said Tesla have become concerned about Supercharger traffic and that the decision has been made to NOT have Superchargers at this location, despite the already complete electrical work and the equipment already in place. Further, I was shown the owners lounge which has been built and has the external entry set up for codes already so owners can have 24 hour access.

It is possible that the site supervisor is wrong; maybe there is more to this story. However, if he is correct there will be no Supercharger for public use at this location.

I have posted photos and more comments in the Service Center thread.
I appreciate the update, and I’m not saying I don’t believe you or the supervisor.

However, simply having congestion at Superchargers in general is a terrible excuse for not opening more locations. Other than walking to Merrick there isn’t a ton to do around here, so I don’t imagine people parking and leaving it for hours. But that’s just imo.....
That would suck if they don't put chargers there.

Agreed, but if they put them elsewhere in the immediate area that would be fine too. It might be better located at Dadeland or another nearby mall location anyway, since travelers really would not find the Coral Gables Sales and Service Center an ideal location anyway. Time will tell.

Currently the Find Us map still shows the Coral Gables Supercharger Station to be completely by the end of 2018. However, it also shows an amazing coverage of new "Coming Soon" Superchargers in the Miami - Fort Lauderdale region. With so many "Coming Soon" Superchargers in the region it is hard to make the case that the area is not being adequately served if the Coral Gables Supercharger Station were to be cancelled or deferred.

Miami Ft Lauderdale Coming Superchargers.jpg

We need to recognize that this location's primary function is a service center and it's parking lot is very limited. It would not surprise me that the Service Manager has some very legitimate concerns about congestion at this location. Personally, if I were the Service Manager, the first thing I would do is make sure that there were a couple of Superchargers installed to support my service operations. Then I would defer the timing of making his location a public, 24/7 Supercharging Station until the other "Coming Soon" Miami Supercharger Stations were operational. I think that those other Superchargers are in better locations and once they are operational they would greatly reduce the public Supercharger traffic at the Coral Gables location.

Larry

Currently the Find Us map still shows the Coral Gables Supercharger Station to be completely by the end of 2018. However, it also shows an amazing coverage of new "Coming Soon" Superchargers in the Miami - Fort Lauderdale region. With so many "Coming Soon" Superchargers in the region it is hard to make the case that the area is not being adequately served if the Coral Gables Supercharger Station were to be cancelled or deferred....

[

We need to recognize that this location's primary function is a service center and it's parking lot is very limited. It would not surprise me that the Service Manager has some very legitimate concerns about congestion at this location. Personally, if I were the Service Manager, the first thing I would do is make sure that there were a couple of Superchargers installed to support my service operations. Then I would defer the timing of making his location a public, 24/7 Supercharging Station until the other "Coming Soon" Miami Supercharger Stations were operational. I think that those other Superchargers are in better locations and once they are operational they would greatly reduce the public Supercharger traffic at the Coral Gables location.

Larry
I agree with your comments with one exception. The CG location as built is clearly both sales and service with the positioning strongly in favor of sales. Frankly, it looks a lot like traditional car dealerships in the same area, in that the public positioning favors sales. I am still confident they'll have a Supercharger in the CG area, but probably located more towards a shopping center, as otherwise mentioned here. As you say, if all those other Supercharger locations open the need for one in South Miami might be somewhat mitigated, but there are probably hundreds of Model 3 reservations in this area as well as a rapidly growing S and X concentration. That concentration is another good reason to NOT colocate with the sales and service function. Anyway, they already have the electrical infrastructure in place so they'll probably have lots of chargers, Super- or not, to deal with service and sales.

I agree with your comments with one exception. The CG location as built is clearly both sales and service with the positioning strongly in favor of sales. Frankly, it looks a lot like traditional car dealerships in the same area, in that the public positioning favors sales.
Hi JC,

Whereas I agree that this location is the closest Tesla has to a traditional car dealership, we disagree if you believe that the primary purpose of this location is sales over service.

Larry

Why would a service center need 2 Superchargers dedicated to them?

There are plenty of service locations with no Superchargers. Are they not able to perform tasks that require a Supercharger present?

I do understand that having Superchargers present in a small parking lot could cause an issue if you have all stalls in use and then people lined up waiting to charge. That is a valid concern. But holding off on installation because the service department needs Superchargers seems nonsense.

In fact, this is one of my major complaints about the West Palm Beach Superchargers... The sales/service team tie them up frequently as they have customer cars charging during peak times when traveling customers need them. This causes unnecessary waits or slower charging.

I vote no Superchargers to be installed at any Tesla sales/service centers as it just seems they are used for customer goodwill. Or if they install them they are installed for that purpose alone and aren't listed on the in car map as a charging option.