Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Corning (6 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Charging here at Corning now. It was almost empty on the way up from the Bay Area but it’s filling up fast. Talked to a Model 3 owner who tried to charge on 2B and said it’s not working. So it’s still broke.

Edit: Called Tesla, they are aware of the problem.

Bruce.

Last edited:
Edit: Called Tesla, they are aware of the problem.

Good that you notified Tesla. Worse that they are aware of the problem and have yet to correct it. Worst that Tesla still refuses to provide timely information in our vehicles to steer us away from stall 2B at Corning or other stalls at other locations. If we knew which stalls were out of order or providing limited kilowatts, there would less need for us owners to spend time calling Tesla to tell them what they already know, and freeing up the attendants to do other tasks.

It...just...seems...so...simple.

Reactions: eprosenx and rpo
We charged there last Thursday, 6/20/19. All good. Two other Teslas. Faster than usual charging rate. Perhaps from the new software update. This temporary Urban charger set up was on the other side of the transformers from the permanent chargers. Have not seen 3 chargers on one platforn. Kinda' hard to get three Teslas in there at all let alone blocking each other.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    352.7 KB · Views: 97
Reactions: Araman0
We charged there last Thursday, 6/20/19. All good. Two other Teslas. Faster than usual charging rate. Perhaps from the new software update. This temporary Urban charger set up was on the other side of the transformers from the permanent chargers. Have not seen 3 chargers on one platforn. Kinda' hard to get three Teslas in there at all let alone blocking each other.

Only 2 work at a time

Reactions: mociaf9 and Blu Zap
Second in line here right now. Nav showed 4 available when were 5 minutes away so either everyone just arrived or the nav was wrong. Anyone’s guess.

Also: 2B is still out of service.

Also #2: I wound up in one of the 72kW "urban" stalls and I'm unable to draw more than 57kW. 90 minutes of Corning, coming up!

Last edited:
Reactions: bmah
Second in line here right now. Nav showed 4 available when were 5 minutes away so either everyone just arrived or the nav was wrong. Anyone’s guess.

Also: 2B is still out of service.

Also #2: I wound up in one of the 72kW "urban" stalls and I'm unable to draw more than 57kW. 90 minutes of Corning, coming up!

Re: 2B. Grrrr. I wanted to put a sign up when I was there a couple weeks ago, but I didn't have any tape to stick it to the pedestal. Hopefully nobody's wasting time trying to plug in there.

Re: temp chargers: I would speculate that the temporary urban chargers on the pallet might not be capable of putting out the 72kW that we might expect from permanent urban chargers. I've seen that elsewhere.

Is Chico an alternative for you?

EDIT: Nevermind I see you posted this a few hours ago. Hope you got on your way reasonably quickly.

Bruce.

Reactions: ohmman
Hope you got on your way reasonably quickly.
30 minutes of waiting followed by an hour and 20 minutes of charging thanks to my need for 100% to get to Vacaville. And in the end, that wasn't enough. I had to drop the trailer 4 miles from the Vacaville Supercharger because I was down to 10 miles of range and that was far too close for me. My 90D battery has degraded to the point that the Corning-Vacaville stretch isn't comfortably passable with my camper. It was always tight, but the next time I tackle that stretch I hope to have a newer X with more range. We'll see.

Corning definitely needs an expansion, though. And my history there gives me the impression that they have power issues as well - I have often run into situations where I get reduced rates of charge, even if I'm alone. I used to blame the heat but I'm starting to think it might be something with the location.

30 minutes of waiting followed by an hour and 20 minutes of charging thanks to my need for 100% to get to Vacaville. And in the end, that wasn't enough. I had to drop the trailer 4 miles from the Vacaville Supercharger because I was down to 10 miles of range and that was far too close for me. My 90D battery has degraded to the point that the Corning-Vacaville stretch isn't comfortably passable with my camper. It was always tight, but the next time I tackle that stretch I hope to have a newer X with more range. We'll see.

Corning definitely needs an expansion, though. And my history there gives me the impression that they have power issues as well - I have often run into situations where I get reduced rates of charge, even if I'm alone. I used to blame the heat but I'm starting to think it might be something with the location.

Yeah, Corning was one of the earliest sites. It is possible that there is some deterioration of the equipment with the enormous usage that location receives day in and day out, not to mention the heat from June through September.

While SR99 out of Red Bluff is slightly longer and slower, charging at Chico for 20 minutes (guessing) and Yuba City for 25 minutes (again, guessing) would let you reach Vacaville without an interminable wait or rock-bottom charging rates. Besides, the drive is much nicer, and there is less traffic. You can take the back door from SR99 to SR113 and reach Davis and I80 via Woodland. From my feeble memory, Chico to Vacaville is about 120 miles total.

:)

Reactions: ohmman
While SR99 out of Red Bluff is slightly longer and slower, charging at Chico for 20 minutes (guessing) and Yuba City for 25 minutes (again, guessing) would let you reach Vacaville without an interminable wait or rock-bottom charging rates. Besides, the drive is much nicer, and there is less traffic.
This was a consideration, but I was already facing an 11 hour day of driving with the full family. I also had some concerns about reaching Chico from Shasta, since it's 132 miles (though it would likely be fine with the 3000+ ft descent). In the end, it may have taken about the same amount of time anyway.

Just charged at Corning. 2B is still out of order. We took 2A, because who wants to be paired, right? However, it kept cycling between charging fine and then every 3 minutes to "unable to charge" and then starting charging again. It was fine just Monday as we hit Corning on our way to Seattle. Just now heading back through on our drive home. It did get us 130 miles added in 20 minutes, but was odd cycling between charging and unable to charge. Also, this older charger still maxes out at 120 kW, unlike most of the others we hit on our long trio that hit 140 or even slightly more. It wasn't full at 8:30 am when we arrived, but by the time we left around 8:50 all of the working V2 chargers were full. Nobody was at the portable urban chargers yet though.

I suggest using the portable charger rather than 2A, as they should deliver a steady 72kW.

It’s disappointing that the problem still isn’t fixed at this already-busy site.

There’s reason to believe the portable urban Superchargers don’t deliver more than about 50 kW. @ohmman reported that charger power upthread, and my one experience with this type of charger (which was admittedly not at Corning, but San Luis Obispo) delivered a consistent 50 kW over a 25 minute charging session. However, 50 kW is better than nothing, and might still be better than a charger that fluctuates.

Bruce.