Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Reno, NV - Rancharrah Parkway (24 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Over the past few days, the pad was poured, and the switchgear cabinet placed on it.
The 6th V3 cabinet is still hanging out in the dumpster enclosure, because - why not?
Transformer pad still empty, though nobody has walked off with it.

Looking SouthEast
IMG_5118.JPG

On a quick drive by earlier today the 6th and final V3 cabinet was in position and some workers were moving big spools of Brown, Orange, Yellow, Gray and green wire around. (the colors for the 3 phases of 277/480 volts ac, it's neutral, and ground wires).

Just after sundown I was able to head over with time to take pics (sorry about poor contrast and fuzziness), found the electricians working there, either collecting overtime and/or taking advantage of cooler temperatures.

TLDR: wires appear pulled, now wiring up AC input (about halfway done), next await an inspection then the transformer.

Looking North, 6th V3 cabinet to right, back of switchgear open with brown/orange/yellow wires hanging out.
Electricians' trucks had Utah plates.

IMG_5119.JPG

Looking South, front of end bay of switchgear open, 6 big breakers for the 6 V3 cabinets (24 pedestals), plus a few small ones for powering communication stuff, etc.
Almost halfway done, top 2 breakers fully wired, has back row of wires on lowest breaker.
Just after I took this picture, the other electrician came back with a fresh bottle of anti-oxidant compound for aluminum wire.

IMG_5120.JPG

Looking South, one of the V3 cabinets open, looks fully wired: larger red and black on left for inter-cabinet DC bus, brown/grey/orange and just the lug showing for yellow for the AC input, bunch of black wires (marked with tape at end) for DC power to pedestals. Blue cables look like some kind of communications link.

IMG_5121.JPG

Cabinet to left of above, prepping this end of the AC input wires.

IMG_5122.JPG

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: vlee and Acps110
Drove by at 11:00 am, not expecting much. Wasn't disappointed. But the electrician from Utah was back, a few V3 cabinets open, and the switchgear doors open. No meter in switchgear cabinet. Dumpster by shipping container used by this project swapped out for a smaller one, and the rolls of smurf tube by shipping container gone, as were fencing segments.
Transformer pad still being held down by a piece of plywood and a few rocks ;)
There are a lot of Teslas in this parking lot, and a Kia EV6 in front of the bakery.
Has been nice to see minimal ICEing, even without any signs up.

I suppose the wait for the transformer begins in earnest.

Drove past on my way home from a shopping trip, not expecting anything.
But soon after turning down Rancharrah Pkwy I saw some yellow caution tape down about the transformer pad and got my hopes up.
However, getting closer, it was just a concrete slab in front of the transformer pad.

Well, it's some progress.

Would be nice to know if this was always in the plan, or did some NV Energy supervisor drive by to do a site check before scheduling transformer install and request this? (Implying a transformer is somewhere close-ish in the pipeline).
If I were a lineworker, on a dark and stormy night, with nothing between me and oblivion except my gloves and hotstick, I would certainly prefer to have a nice level surface to stand on. If something untoward happened, it would be more comfortable to receive CPR or easier to sweep up my ashes.

Looking East - fresh concrete and I just noticed the double lenticular cloud - it's got to be aliens is why there's a transformer shortage!!!
IMG_5146.JPG

Looking West - still need some pavement markings for handicap stalls.
Didn't think to look to see if the other stalls need markings too - did notice there are no signs yet.
All the junk outside the shipping container is gone, including the construction dumpster - more signs of progress.
IMG_5147.JPG

Reactions: Matsayz
Thursday late morning drive by.
Caution tape and safety posts removed.
The ATT fiber optics utility markings in spray paint on ground nearby refreshed.
A full spool of large pull tape (3/4" or 1" wide) was sitting on transformer pad leading into one of the output conduits heading to switchgear (plywood pushed over a bit).
Utah plates pickup pulling an air compressor trailer parked nearby in front of the 4 stall row. No workers around at the moment.

So - they're blowing the pull tape into conduits between transformer pad and switchgear - this needs doing before the utility will come out to install transformer.

Pavement markings on North row of charging stalls pretty faded but look reasonably well aligned, they could use a refresh when handicap stalls get marked.

Cruised past late afternoon, they had just top-coated the pavement, and done fresh markings.

No transformer yet.

Looking NorthWest.

IMG_5157.JPG

Looking North East.
Pedestles are looking centered, and no signs on bollards.

IMG_5158.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: NV Ray
The tiniest bit of progress, someone took down the warning tape and neatly stacked the traffic cones over by the dumpster enclosure.

So if the permit was accepted 12/20/22, and transformers are about a year out, one would think Tesla has talked to NV Energy before drawing up the permit (and paid NV Energy for the connection/transformer then), then anytime between now and about Christmas we'll see the transformer show up.
This location is not on Tesla's findus map, so no estimate from them - for what that would be worth.

Miracle of miracles - a big ol' transformer has appeared. It's humming (meaning energized), and there's a meter inside the switchgear cabinet, tho' it's flashing all 8's, so not setup yet.

Looking East
IMG_5175.JPG

No specification plate I could find, can't find an online catalog to decipher the catalog number,
though I think it's 2,000 kVA from this link at irbyutilties,
but it weighs 15,827 pounds (7179 kg).
Was expecting 2,500 kVA and 6 tons instead of nearly 8 tons.

IMG_5181.JPG

Well, glad to see the transformer show up, now we wait on commissioning.

I can't wait for this location to start up. The 6 chargers at the Atlantis are almost always full. I had to wait for 12 minutes a few days ago.
You might not have to wait long.
I drove by on my way home from grocery shopping at 11:20 am.
All the V3 cabinet doors were open, and a guy in a black model Y was sitting there studying something intently.
By the time I had done a U-turn in the parking lot, he was out and looking intently inside the Eastern-most V3 cabinet.

Looks like some kind of commissioning activity to me.

• Informative
Reactions: corywright
Drive by Wednesday, August 30 at 5:40 pm.
Only the Westernmost V3 cabinet in the row of 5 was open,
a camp chair was set up nearby,
two guys peering inside.
Switchgear cabinet doors open.
(Same?) black model Y parked in Westernmost spot of the line of 20 charge posts,
Blue model Y in one of the spots in the line of 4, charging cable hooked to car.

Could open soon.

• Informative
Reactions: NV Ray
Thursday, August 31, 11:15 am drive by - one black model Y parked there, not plugged in, about 4 stalls down in row of 20 charge posts.
Guy walking around, taking pictures, only the small doors on the V3 cabinets are open.

Is he documenting the commissioning, about to turn it on and button up and head to the next site?

Not on the app yet.