Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Decatur, GA - East Ponce de Leon Ave

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is currently showing the address of the planned Supercharger in Decatur, GA

118 East Ponce de Leon Avenue
Decatur, GA 30030

Screen Shot 2022-10-06 at 1.34.36 PM.png

Reactions: DangerRuss
That's the center of downtown, literally in front of the courthouse. The site will absolutely not be going there. It looks like Tesla doubled-down on their policy of dropping their "coming soon" pins at the center of the municipality and are now including a bogus address. This also looks to be the case on the other sites you posted about.

A dozen new threads created, @jcaruso ? Many (most?) of these have existing threads. Can you go find them and then ask admin here to merge each of these new threads that you created with the existing one? Find the existing thread, then use the "report" function to request the merge. If it was just one or two threads then I'd do that legwork for you, but a dozen? Fuggedaboudit.

That's the center of downtown, literally in front of the courthouse. The site will absolutely not be going there. It looks like Tesla doubled-down on their policy of dropping their "coming soon" pins at the center of the municipality and are now including a bogus address. This also looks to be the case on the other sites you posted about.
Nah I think he’s right. Marco has been tweeting about it all day. It was a big leak by Tesla on accident and now it’s back to the way it was with no addresses being shown. I looked up a bunch of the other ones and they seem legit. Could there be a few wrong? Sure.

For this one, satellite view of the address shows a few empty lots that could house a SuC.
A dozen new threads created, @jcaruso ? Many (most?) of these have existing threads. Can you go find them and then ask admin here to merge each of these new threads that you created with the existing one? Find the existing thread, then use the "report" function to request the merge. If it was just one or two threads then I'd do that legwork for you, but a dozen? Fuggedaboudit.
I did this already for the ones I could remember (report and merge).

JulienW, that spot is the default center of Atlanta. I will bet you one Elon delivery date promise* that there will never be a supercharger there or anywhere close to there even. (* actually worthless, of course :) )

Thanks Jeremy for researching and requesting the merges.

Back to the 118 E Ponce address in Decatur, that is a parking deck that totally COULD be a supercharging location. It's in downtown Decatur, which would be annoying for through-travel drivers, but Decatur is very green / lefty and Teslas are quite popular. As is higher density housing where owners might not be able to charge and so this would be for locals. And finally, Decatur city govt is quite EV friendly (it took them a while but it happened) so I could see them helping out by offering that deck.

So, OK, maybe this address is real ... I'll start driving by it.

Last edited:
JulienW, that spot is the default center of Atlanta. I will bet you one Elon delivery date promise* that there will never be a supercharger there or anywhere close to there even. (* actually worthless, of course :) )

Thanks Jeremy for researching and requesting the merges.

Back to the 118 E Ponce address in Decatur, that is a parking deck that totally COULD be a supercharging location. It's in downtown Decatur, which would be annoying for through-travel drivers, but Decatur is very green / lefty and Teslas are quite popular. As is higher density housing where owners might not be able to charge and so this would be for locals. And finally, Decatur city govt is quite EV friendly (it took them a while but it happened) so I could see them helping out by offering that deck.

So, OK, maybe this address is real ... I'll start driving by it.
I don't live in Decatur so I will rely on locals knowledge here, but I was also thinking about all this dead parking lot space right next to the parking garage. Perhaps it could be on one of those surface lots? Plenty of space it seems for 8 or 12 stalls.

1665172121524.png

I stopped by the site this afternoon. Indeed, as I remembered, the two tracts of land north of the parking deck have completely changed since that aerial imagery was taken. The first photo shows them as seen from the northeast, facing southwest. The BofA site now has a proper branch building, not just the ATM surrounded by parking lot. The parking lot in between is now occupied by a condo development. I don't see the SC site going into either of those (the BofA site is quite cramped), so it looks like it'll be the parking deck.

And of course that address IS for the parking deck. The second photo shows the top level of the parking deck, looking northeast (opposite direction from the first photo). I didn't see any signs of any construction or even surveying anywhere in the deck, but I didn't look super hard.

20221013_180756.jpg

20221013_181154.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome! And that conduit poking out of the ground is for the (pending) utility transformer. While the parking spots could theoretically be outside the deck, there really isn't any space there, and I think they'll be just inside. At that row, you'll see them as soon as you enter the (pay) deck's gate, but you'll need to loop all the way around the deck to get to them. Then exiting will be trivial :) I'm assuming Tesla will work out a code or something to exit without paying, as they've done in the past with similar pay locations.

I was driving a block away from there yesterday but decided not to swing by because my wife is already annoyed enough with my EV charging construction detours :)

@Chuq please add to SC.info and set to u/c.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: corywright
Ohhh, this site is iiiinteresting. It looks to me like:
- 4 cabinets
- 8 dispensers on bottom level of deck
- 8 dispensers on top level of deck
- note deck entry is at middle level

There's a transformer onsite, but it had been there already; dunno if they'll need another one. Trenching was done, concrete forms were in place, and the conduit work was in progress. Some equipment is staged on TOP level of deck, probably the dispensers.

In two of the photos, note the holes that have been cut into the top level's wall. All four of the cabinets will be installed on the ground, but I think two of them will be serving charging spots on the top level of the deck.

I was wrong above about the stations being visible right in front of you as you enter the gate. You will need to loop around the deck, up a ramp OR down a ramp, to get to the stations.

Parking is free for 30 minutes. We'll see what kind of deal Tesla sets up.

Attachments

• 20221128_144611.jpg
    20221128_144611.jpg
    813.6 KB · Views: 94
  • 20221128_144225.jpg
    20221128_144225.jpg
    627.4 KB · Views: 77
  • 20221128_144105.jpg
    20221128_144105.jpg
    636.7 KB · Views: 76
  • 20221128_143522.jpg
    20221128_143522.jpg
    537.1 KB · Views: 87
  • 20221128_143431.jpg
    20221128_143431.jpg
    407 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Decatur, GA

Host Type: Mall
Host: Decatur Town Center
Along Primary Interstates: None
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-23, US-29, US-78, US-278
Along Auxiliary Interstates: I-285

US-23

To: Peachtree Corners, GA - 18.8 miles
Diversion: 1.8 miles
To: Duluth, GA - 21.7 miles

US-29

To: Athens, GA (v2) - 58.2 miles
Diversion: 1.9 miles
To: Piedmont, SC - 152.3 miles

US-78

To: Athens, GA (v2) - 58 miles
Diversion: 1.8 miles
To: Augusta - Belair Frontage Rd, GA (v2) - 159.1 miles

US-278

To: Lithonia, GA (v2) - 11.2 miles
Diversion: 0.8 miles
To: Madison, GA - 55.2 miles

Supercharging returning to Decatur.

Decatur, GA
Host Type: Mall
Host: Decatur Town Center

I think Decaturites would be horrified to hear their downtown referred to as a "mall" :) This is simply a parking deck (likely owned and operated by the City of Decatur, but I'm not sure) to serve the downtown district. Which is fantastic, by the way. Lots of very cool restaurants, literally a dozen plus within two blocks, including south down Church Street and all around the courthouse plaza. No chains.

The plot thickens... They cut more holes in the upper level, and started running conduit there, and I now think all 16 stations are going to be on the top level. The fenced off area on the bottom level is just to protect the trenching work.

First photo shows BOTH conduit riser penetration locations -- the metal boxes in distance are covering the first set that they cut.

Second photo is a particularly sporty pallet delivery. How is that even possible? :)

Attachments

• 20221130_172703.jpg
    20221130_172703.jpg
    268 KB · Views: 94
  • 20221130_172525.jpg
    20221130_172525.jpg
    472 KB · Views: 129
I stopped by at 6pm on Sunday and there was WORK happening. Guys must be behind on a deadline, or chasing a bonus or something like that. They were finishing the four big fat conduits up to the northern segment of stations. Otherwise no change to the above. The pedestal hardware is still all boxed up.

As far as I could count (staying far away from the workers), there are 15 spaces along the long wall from the corner to a pedestrian walkway, so I expect they will put 15 stations there and then one more next to them, probably across the corner. As you all know, that one oddball pull-in station is typically for people towing a trailer (or who have something big mounted on the back), but this could not be a worse location to pull a trailer into :) But maybe they'll put that oddball there out of habit anyway. Of course this site is also nowhere near an interstate so not going to see trailer-towing traffic transiting ...

Weekly check today -- conduit is mostly done and they pushed some dirt around, filling up the big trench. They still need to fill up the deep hole under where the cabinets will go, and then they should be able to pour concrete. There are four mature trees right there that have been getting their root plates trampled by machinery; I hope they survive.

The dispensers were being installed today, and will be in a 4+12 configuration, and 1 of the 4 will be for pull-in use. I took just one picture, and didn't show all of the pedestals, because there were workers active and I keep them out of photos.

Attachments

• 20221212_140443.jpg
    20221212_140443.jpg
    439.8 KB · Views: 116
Weekly check today -- conduit is mostly done and they pushed some dirt around, filling up the big trench. They still need to fill up the deep hole under where the cabinets will go, and then they should be able to pour concrete. There are four mature trees right there that have been getting their root plates trampled by machinery; I hope they survive.

The dispensers were being installed today, and will be in a 4+12 configuration, and 1 of the 4 will be for pull-in use. I took just one picture, and didn't show all of the pedestals, because there were workers active and I keep them out of photos.
That Looks WEARD and WRONG. It looks like angled pull in parking with the pedestals in the front. Is it an optical illusion and parking spaces are straight so you can back in?