Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Decatur, GA - East Ponce de Leon Ave

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Weekly check. Pedestals are installed but no wiring pulled yet. The first picture here is showing the four pedestals on the far left, not shown well in my earlier photos.

Dirt grading is done, rebar is in, and the cabinet pads should get poured any day now. There's still no sign of a new transformer or where they would put it, so maybe they will be able to use that existing one. Seems too small though.

There are two J1772 / Level 2 stations in the middle. They look like Tesla HPWCs but they definitely have J1772 plugs on them. This is probably per agreement with host (the City), like they've been doing at Target sites but without the Chargepoint hassle (and wild expense).

Replying to JulienW above, yeah they painted white over the old yellow stripes. I think it is meant to neutralize the old stripes, and they will restripe as straight-in, but we'll see.

Attachments

• 20221218_144407.jpg
    20221218_144407.jpg
    425 KB · Views: 168
  • 20221218_144558.jpg
    20221218_144558.jpg
    703.8 KB · Views: 101
  • 20221218_144505.jpg
    20221218_144505.jpg
    652.3 KB · Views: 108
Concrete has been poured.

Pedestals are all installed but no wiring yet. I think the cabinets have to be placed before they pull the wire.

I now see where the new transformer will go -- in the lower right corner of this photo, an overhead view from the deck's upper level.

Attachments

• 20221225_162457.jpg
    20221225_162457.jpg
    837.6 KB · Views: 122
All six cabinets have been placed (4 power conversion, 2 switchgear). No utility transformer yet. No wires pulled to pedestals yet, but I expect that's next now that the cabinets are in place.

Correction from earlier: there are 3 J1772 stations here, not 2.

Reactions: DangerRuss
Oh, I stopped by here on Sunday as usual and forgot to post this. The only (minor) progress to report was:
- conduit to Level 2 stations now in place
- large spool of Level 2 wire (I think) delivered
- new parking spot striping

The latter is going to be a problem, I think, and likely to get redone after Tesla inspects the work.

The spots are now diagonal in the other direction -- the old lines were first painted over with grey paint, and then ground away. With the new lines, you can now back in properly per traffic direction on that aisle. But with the pedestals STRAIGHT / FLAT against the wall, the car's port may be too far for the cable to reach. Either these parking spots should be straight in, or the pedestals all need to be angled. Surely they must have designed this properly, accounting for vehicle size and turn radius, so I think it's just the striping contractor who didn't follow the drawings. (also they kind of did a sh*tty, inconsistent job on positioning the curb stops)

Can anyone point to examples of Tesla supercharging sites where the parking spots are angled AND you back in AND the pedestals are all parallel at the back? I don't think so but I could be wrong.

The HORIZONTAL distance from the front edge of the curb stop (rear tire contact point) to the cable anchor point is exactly 6 feet. I think that's too far.

Attachments

• 20230108_153220.jpg
    20230108_153220.jpg
    466.8 KB · Views: 98
  • 20230108_153303.jpg
    20230108_153303.jpg
    539.5 KB · Views: 94
Oh, I stopped by here on Sunday as usual and forgot to post this. The only (minor) progress to report was:

The latter is going to be a problem, I think, and likely to get redone after Tesla inspects the work.

The spots are now diagonal in the other direction -- the old lines were first painted over with grey paint, and then ground away. With the new lines, you can now back in properly per traffic direction on that aisle. But with the pedestals STRAIGHT / FLAT against the wall, the car's port may be too far for the cable to reach. Either these parking spots should be straight in, or the pedestals all need to be angled. Surely they must have designed this properly, accounting for vehicle size and turn radius, so I think it's just the striping contractor who didn't follow the drawings. (also they kind of did a sh*tty, inconsistent job on positioning the curb stops)

Can anyone point to examples of Tesla supercharging sites where the parking spots are angled AND you back in AND the pedestals are all parallel at the back? I don't think so but I could be wrong.

The HORIZONTAL distance from the front edge of the curb stop (rear tire contact point) to the cable anchor point is exactly 6 feet. I think that's too far.
I general you don't back into ANY angled parking. It should be head in if angled and back in if perpendicular. That is so messy, obtuse and CRAP looking.

If you drive past angled parking and they are against you then you automatically see yourself as going in the WRONG direction.

EDIT: Guess my previous post on questioning the parking was applicable. They don't seem to know what the hell they are doing.

Here is correct way to do angled parking Superchargers.

IMG_2192.jpeg

Last edited:

Man, is that going to work? It looks like your bumper is going to be really close to the wall bc you'll have to get your rear tires pretty darn close to the parking spot curbs in order for the cable to reach.

Man, is that going to work? It looks like your bumper is going to be really close to the wall bc you'll have to get your rear tires pretty darn close to the parking spot curbs in order for the cable to reach.
The ONLY way is if you back in straight and then able to jump over the curb stops. So NO there is no way you can use them since the cable would not even come close to reaching.

Yeah, again I think this was simply done wrong and the striping will get reworked. But I thought maybe I'm wrong and there was another SC site out there where they'd made this work. Sounds like no :)

It'll be funny to have yet another set of abandoned stripes there :) And I feel a little sorry for the subcontractor who probably made a dumb mistake and now lost all their profit margin... Anyway let's see what happens, clearly it's interesting!

Still working on pedestal wiring, with workers again onsite on a (rainy) Sunday afternoon. Still no transformer, but the three phase wires have now been pulled, so that is definitely where the transformer is going. The ground isn't quite level so I wonder if they'll need a pad there after all.

No change to the striping yet.

Pedestal wiring is complete, pretty much (one of the conduit lids was off). Everything really looks done, except for the transformer from the utility, so once that shows up then they should just need a week to do the final commissioning. And possibly extra time to restripe :)

Stopped by, no changes. The stripes are still wrong.

This time I looked for the meter and didn't see one, but I couldn't find an empty socket either. I asked the resident security guard and he said that they were waiting for Georgia Power -- yes the transformer is in, but maybe it hasn't been connected to the grid. They could also be waiting for something else (a Tesla component to swap out, final inspection from the City, who knows) and "waiting for Georgia Power" is just a convenient line.