Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - El Centro, CA (8 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes! I was there today. I spoke briefly to CBL mall management staff member. No construction has started. It has yet to be determined which parking spots will be used. It has yet to be determined where power will be pulled from to feed the site. The stalls will probably be near an entrance that is near the food court. We are probably two to four months away from completed supercharger stalls in El Centro CA at the earliest.

I have a trip from San Diego to Phoenix in April and am really hoping this is working. Otherwise a bit of range anxiety getting to the Yuma SC.

I'd be more annoyed than worried on the return route, having to take the time to do a near range charge on a Supercharger, always annoying. EVTripPlanner says 206 rated miles driving the speed limit in an 85 with 19" wheels, La Jolla to Yuma Supercharger. Just do a range charge the night before you leave to Yuma; with that, the drive to Yuma should be a no brainer. Have fun! :biggrin:

San Diego to Yuma is totally doable - I left La Mesa in my 60 earlier this month and rolled into Yuma with a decent cushion left, even on a 90 degree day. The only concern would be if you had strong Santa Anna winds blowing out of the west and you were trying to go faster than the speed limit. Happy desert travels!

San Diego to Yuma is totally doable - I left La Mesa in my 60 earlier this month and rolled into Yuma with a decent cushion left...

What was your cushion? I am coming from the coast, about 17 miles west of La Mesa, and will be doing the drive to AZ in March. Since the El Centro SC most likely wont be up by then I am concerned about making it to Yuma in my 60.

Well..... some minor progress has been made. The site parking spots are almost decided upon. There will be ten of them. They will either be on the southeast side of the mall by the food court entrance or on the southwest side of the mall by the food court entrance. It is dependent on the transformer location and length of run to the supercharger equipment. Consideration for an animal's habitat was also in play so time was needed to engineer around that. Mostly new plans have to be drawn up and agreed upon by all parties prior to submission to the city for approval. Once approved, scheduling a contractor, getting the work crew on site, we may see a shovel in the ground in June 2014 and completion in August 2014. YES!!... they were hoping to have this site completed by November 2013 but odd things occurred as site evaluations took place. It's just the nature of a supercharger installation. I was glad to learn there will be ten charging stalls. That is forward thinking. Forward thinking as in Gen3! Many people travel between San Diego CA and El Centro CA, Yuma AZ, Phoenix AZ and even route through LA>SD>ELC>YMA>PHX>etc. in the coming years. Better to get it right the first time. At least it will be near the food court and the rest rooms:smile:

Just went to Yuma in my P85...Left with 250, arrived with 50 miles...Easy drive....

Now that's the good kind of data. Speed limit or about?

We'll be doing this from PHX almost weekly, starting in 3 weeks. With Buckeye I don't even have to worry about state of charge before leaving here.

It's great that an inter-city, cross-desert electric car trip is now as easy as selecting the right podcast to listen to. Just one year ago it was not! Awesome.

I took a drive out to El Centro on Saturday (2014-May-31) and had a look around. No signs of construction yet, however I did see these little guys perched on and near a transformer. Perhaps they too are waiting? :)
IMG_0282.jpg
IMG_0283.jpg

Now that's the good kind of data. Speed limit or about?

We'll be doing this from PHX almost weekly, starting in 3 weeks. With Buckeye I don't even have to worry about state of charge before leaving here.

It's great that an inter-city, cross-desert electric car trip is now as easy as selecting the right podcast to listen to. Just one year ago it was not! Awesome.

Didn't see your question about speed. I drove the speed limit or perhaps a mile or two under during the uphill portion...

Site selection is complete and plans have been approved by the utility and mall management. The parking spots will be rear lot spots by Sears on the west side not far from the food court entrance. Plans are now at The City of El Centro for review and approval. Ground breaking will be in late July or August with the site up and operational by mid-late September if all goes along smoothly. Once City approval is complete we may see a little more action; although sometimes from city approval to ground breaking can be a while.. ref: YUMA, where the plans were approved for 3 months before construction began. Let's all hope this site moves along more quickly! The above information is as of today 6-4-2014!! I'll post more as soon as I am made aware!

Last edited:
Site selection is complete and plans have been approved by the utility and mall management. The parking spots will be rear lot spots by Sears on the west side not far from the food court entrance. Plans are now at The City of El Centro for review and approval. Ground breaking will be in late July or August with the site up and operational by mid-late September is all goes along smoothly. Once City approval is complete we may see a little more action; although sometimes from city approval to ground breaking can be a while.. ref: YUMA, where the plans were approved for 3 months before construction began. Let's all hope this site moves along more quickly! The above information is as of today 6-4-2014!! I'll post more as soon as I am made aware!
Any updates on El Centro? Is groundbreaking still on target to occur within next couple weeks? Sadly, it seems it won't be online in time for a desired trip to SD.

Any updates on El Centro? Is groundbreaking still on target to occur within next couple weeks? Sadly, it seems it won't be online in time for a desired trip to SD.

You should be able to make it from Yuma to SD alright if you slow down a little. If you get to El Centro and feel like you need a charge, Sunbeam RV Resort is very EV friendly. They'll charge you $10, but it's worth it. They have bathrooms, a swimming pool, and some other facilities to use.