Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - El Centro, CA (8 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
you think its possible in a 60? I'm also concerned about wind factoring into the equation.

thanks for the info about the RV park. It provides an option. Chademo adapter would be great potentially also. but who knows when that will be available.

Yeah, I think you can. You just can't do 75, and as you said, it'll depend on the headwind.

Any updates on El Centro? Is groundbreaking still on target to occur within next couple weeks? Sadly, it seems it won't be online in time for a desired trip to SD.

Permit information is available here if you click on Application / Permit Lookup and search for 3551 S Dogwood Road. If you look at review information, it indicates that one review was done January 21st, but three others have been pending since the permit application was submitted 12/17/2013. I've attached screenshots below - there must be something more to the story since it seems unlikely it's just been sitting in someone's inbox for the last 7 months.

Attachments

• El Centro Permit.jpg
    El Centro Permit.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 367
  • El Centro Review.jpg
    El Centro Review.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 357
you think its possible in a 60? I'm also concerned about wind factoring into the equation.

thanks for the info about the RV park. It provides an option. Chademo adapter would be great potentially also. but who knows when that will be available.

I would not try to go straight from Yuma to San Diego in a 60kwh without planing on a reasonable long stop at the RV park and/or some drafting.

Definitely check out evtrippper.com as it takes into account the altitude changes (but not the wind)

Even going the speed limit (70mph) on the I5, it's about 186RM Yuma to El Cajon. 10mph winds are fairly normal through the mountains /desert there, so it's like driving 80mph.

Yes, I've mapped it on EVTripper. It's why I think I'll pass til El Centro is online. I'd either have to drive painfully slow, or have a long stop at the RV park. Neither something I want to do, esp. With the family.

Plus, if I got to SD bone dry, where would I charge up there. And of course, we'd go to the beach, it's all the way to coast!

Until either the Chademo adapter or El Centro, or a proper SD SC exist, not something I going to try.

Yes, I've mapped it on EVTripper. It's why I think I'll pass til El Centro is online. I'd either have to drive painfully slow, or have a long stop at the RV park. Neither something I want to do, esp. With the family.

Plus, if I got to SD bone dry, where would I charge up there. And of course, we'd go to the beach, it's all the way to coast!

Until either the Chademo adapter or El Centro, or a proper SD SC exist, not something I going to try.

The Indio Supercharger is a lot closer to being online than El Centro. Going that way adds 45 miles to your drive, but it's not too bad. You can spend some time in Palm Springs while there.

You could charge at the San Diego Service center (they have around 6 HPWCs available) when you get here, then head to the beach.

The Indio Supercharger is a lot closer to being online than El Centro. Going that way adds 45 miles to your drive, but it's not too bad. You can spend some time in Palm Springs while there.

You could charge at the San Diego Service center (they have around 6 HPWCs available) when you get here, then head to the beach.

The Indio SC is another option I've looked at. It make a it more feasible, but not much more comfortable.

Side note: I'm very happy with our 60. Honestly, I haven't needed an 85 but once maybe, and it'll be really good once a few more SCs are open (Cordes Junction, El Centro, Indio, Casa Grande, all 'coming soon'). But if we do trade in our S for an X, I'm pretty sure we'll go for an 85.

It is interesting, I've been there before and I recollect it being a road as well. For what its worth if you look at google maps it has it as a road as well, but since they might be talking about the loop around the mall it might be an Ave. I notice all the permits for the mall have Ave instead of Rd.

Any way the good news is it is still on track. According to the posts earlier construction is to being this month.

Did you go to the permit address of 3451 S Dogwood Rd in El Centro?

Oops. Sorry for the lack of precision. Here is what I did:

1 - Used Google maps to help me visually locate the permit address.
2 - Monitored the discussions on this forum regarding suspected location

The above led me to Imperial Valley Mall. I cruised around the south end near the Sears and food courts, but found nothing. I then drove the peripheral road that encircles the mall, and noticed several already installed transformers (perhaps anticipating future commercial real estate), but nothing that looked like supercharger construction.