Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Escanaba, MI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

I'll still see if my FIL can get some more photos but the village of L'anse posted a photo of the charger to their Facebook page.
62037354_2298611136844839_718793825304182784_n.jpg

Reactions: Big Earl
I am hopeful that this is a 2nd quarter cost containment that will go live after the 2nd quarter closes. All the new Michigan Superchargers stopped in early May. So I’m hopeful for mid July.

No trips for me to Wisconsin or Minnesota until the Escanaba supercharger is done....

We make the trip from Minneapolis to Indian River area 3-4 times a year. We've taken our Tesla twice, and we have to spend the night at the Quality Inn in Escanaba in order to make it. We left home with a full charge, hit the SC in Wausau to get back to about 260 mile range, then to Escanaba and overnight at the destination charger there. Then the next morning it's an easy 175 mile drive to our place on Burt Lake where we have a 50 amp connection in the garage. Once the SC is running in Esky, we can make it all in one day... I'm hoping its done by Labor Day so we won't have to spend the night in Esky again on the way home.

I am hopeful that this is a 2nd quarter cost containment that will go live after the 2nd quarter closes. All the new Michigan Superchargers stopped in early May. So I’m hopeful for mid July.

No trips for me to Wisconsin or Minnesota until the Escanaba supercharger is done....

Seems more like a nationwide component shortage. Several sites across the country are waiting for pedestals.

Seems more like a nationwide component shortage. Several sites across the country are waiting for pedestals.

Interestingly there are sites waiting for initial excavation, sites waiting for pedestals, sites waiting for transformers. I think there is a cost freeze on any postponable expenses until the third quarter. That way Tesla can have a better chance for 2 quarter profit.

Interestingly there are sites waiting for initial excavation, sites waiting for pedestals, sites waiting for transformers. I think there is a cost freeze on any postponable expenses until the third quarter. That way Tesla can have a better chance for 2 quarter profit.

Sure looks like they’re going full speed ahead on construction, aside from the pedestals. Lots of construction being reported on supercharge.info ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

We make the trip from Minneapolis to Indian River area 3-4 times a year. We've taken our Tesla twice, and we have to spend the night at the Quality Inn in Escanaba in order to make it. We left home with a full charge, hit the SC in Wausau to get back to about 260 mile range, then to Escanaba and overnight at the destination charger there. Then the next morning it's an easy 175 mile drive to our place on Burt Lake where we have a 50 amp connection in the garage. Once the SC is running in Esky, we can make it all in one day... I'm hoping its done by Labor Day so we won't have to spend the night in Esky again on the way home.
I am staying at that quality inn at Escanaba tonight. I am glad they have a charger. Just drove from Duluth and going back home thru Gaylord tomorrow.

So May start came and went. A June start came and went. Now July might be the month! On the other hand, maybe waiting for V3 in Michigan would be a good resource in the Upper Peninsula. I hope for a July start under all options.

Wouldn’t count on it there. Been at the permit stage for over a year. I’d love to be proven wrong though.

Question for any Michigan folks: What is it about Grand Rapids that would compel Tesla to install four SuperChargers within a 50 mile radius?
(And meanwhile, the UP has nothing.)

Population density, number of Teslas that “live” there and importance of the route. Same reasons why the entire state of North Dakota doesn’t have any... there are higher locations on the priority list. But they’re coming!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SO16
Question for any Michigan folks: What is it about Grand Rapids that would compel Tesla to install four SuperChargers within a 50 mile radius?
(And meanwhile, the UP has nothing.)
Just to put numbers to it.

Grand Rapids has a population of 198k.
The entire U.P. has a population of 311k.
The Grand Rapids Metro area is over a million.

But a lot of people pass through the UP, especially on US 2. And if you are coming from Wisconsin to northern lower Michigan, it's about 4-5 hours shorter than going around through Chicago, the only viable route with a Tesla at the moment without an overnight stay in Escanaba. By the way, has anyone checked the Meijer's parking lot in the past couple weeks? I made the last reported check on June 24 so maybe something has started...