Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Etiquette: Queuing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not really, it depends on the location and layout of the chargers and whether there's space to actually form a cue line. A lot if times cars will just park in view of the station and it's up to you to notice who was there before you and just grab a spot when those before you have gotten a spot. I've never had an issue with this self regulation system.

Upvote 0
When all the supercharger stalls at a station are in use, is there a norm/process for queuing up for the first available stall?
There is a simple but undocumented rule at all Tesla Superchargers. You might want to print this page and keep it in your glove box.

Stall priority is tied to model and color. A Model Y has priority over other models and a white MY has priority over other colors.

If you need to jump the line in front of me, late for an appointment, family emergency, your required to show up with a fresh Double Double animal style, fries and a Diet Coke (I’m on a diet). If you don’t know what a Double Double is… Go to the end of the line behind the Ford Lighting requiring two stalls, do not pass go, do not collect anything.

Honor those rules and we’ll never have an issue.

IMG_3303.png

Upvote 0
Before I got my Model 3, I rented one for a weekend through Turo.com (Jan 2018). When I went to recharge the car at the Mountain View station (Computer History Museum), there was a line of cars waiting to charge (Sunday mid-afternoon). It was obvious in that situation on how the cars were lined up waiting for an open slot:

mountain_view_supercharger_queue.jpg

However, for the clueless drivers, there was a volunteer sitting at the position of the star in the photo above who was directing traffic. It's the first and only time I've seen somebody keeping order on the waiting process. I think that there was about 7 or 8 cars ahead of me when I arrived. I have since encountered one other time where all the stations were occupied and I had to wait:

truckee_supercharger_queue.jpg

This is the Truckee, CA Donner Pass Rd. Supercharger location. There, there was an obvious place to wait (red circle) and confer with the people who were already there to see "who's next" (@GHammer self regulation example).

Upvote 0
It’s very location dependent. I was at a charger yesterday in Cupertino, CA and there was a Tesla branded sign posted that said “please form queue starting here.”

No queue when I arrived so not an issue.

Other sites have their own protocols/norms and it mostly depends on the physical constraints of the location. If the site is completely full, it’s usually pretty easy to see if someone (or someones) are waiting and where to get in line. Be respectful and observant is really all it takes - I’ve never had a problem.

Reactions: GHammer
Upvote 0
I've seen a few instances where it all got a bit tense. Last time was Tebay South. I think there's 12 SCs (circled in red) and there are parking spaces opposite (ish). But those spaces are not just for EVs, let alone Teslas. So if it's all in use, you may not even be able to wait anywhere within sight of the SCs. One MY was parked opposite and waiting his turn, when another approached and decided not to park but to wait on the road. When I was done and exited my SC the guy who had decided not to park in an actual parking space went for it. The poor fella waiting patiently in a parking space had to get out of his car and explain to the other guy what he had just done. Lot's of raised voices as you would imagine:

1718640093364.png

Upvote 0
I believe ettiquette should:
  • Read signage before pulling in. Some places has the two sides to parking. However, only one side is correct. It annoys me so much that many owners just pull in, but, charge on the side that doesn't have the signage. Example, West Lebanon, NH
  • If it's 150k charger the one with shared stalls (Unit A and B), try to use every other charger please. However, when it's full, you can start sharing power.
  • If you have a trailer attached, remove it before charging.
  • Opening up a door at a site or putting personal property that uses Shared Charging (150k) to garuntee that space is occupied so that you get the highest power output is a "no-no"

Upvote 0