Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(following post is made as myself and does not represent TMC, nor my role as a moderator. This is my own personal opinion and does not impact my role as a moderator)
========================================================

What @Nickage87 has proved, beyond a shadow of a doubt is that at the very least, they have no idea how to road trip in their car. I am not going to say they didnt have those experiences (although, with all of the people here who have examined the exact route they were posting about, it looks like it would be difficult as heck to duplicate their experience).

What I will state without a doubt though, is that there are obviously much better ways to do it than they apparently did it. They also fall into the category of "name calling" the minute they get called on their data. Calling someone a "fanboi" is like saying 'i know you are, but what am I" on an elementary playground, when one doesnt have any other information to back up their claims.

As I said when I was made a moderator, I firmly believeTMC is for all people, those that love tesla, those that hate them, and those who are somewhere in the middle (which is most of us). What I find irksome, however, is people who try to use data to try to tell some story that isnt quite the real thing.

Saying "it takes somewhat longer to road trip in my tesla" = True story for most. Many would trade because they feel better when they get there. Some wont. Thats a fair discussion. See post from @run-the-joules for someone making a fair statement for discussion. Saying. "it takes 2 hours to charge for every 5 hours driven, there isnt any real way that I or anyone else can see to make that happen, unless someone is trying to do that. Statements like "but you have to drive to the superchargers" are somewhat silly, because last I checked, you have to drive to the gas station too.

On a side note, people in general should know that TMC is one of the WORST places to try to post up some data that isnt "quite all there" because of the nature of the membership. People WILL pick it apart, and WILL find any holes if there are any. Not a great thing to try here in my opinion.
Haha, moved my point of view, because this forum is for "Tesla lovers", here goes your inability to accept different views aka freedom of speech, such a childish move, you are locking yourself to the views which will not hurt your feelings, it is going to be difficult to live in real world.

Haha, moved my point of view, because this forum is for "Tesla lovers", here goes your inability to accept different views aka freedom of speech, such a childish move, you are locking yourself to the views which will not hurt your feelings, it is going to be difficult to live in real world.

No, it's because you made it personal. Anyone you disagree with must be a stock shill? You can check that stuff at the door.

That said - and I really mean this - I hope you and yours have a great holiday. We all need a break from 2020, that much I think we can all agree on.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia

No, I didnt move your point of view. There is more than one moderator for this section. I marked your post disagree because you made an assumption I did something I didnt do.

I haven't experienced this. Are you "Navigating to the Supercharger" using the car's NAV, so that it pre-conditions the battery prior to charging? If not, something like what you described could happen.

Could also be that the charge rate changed while charging, potentially due to another car connecting to the same Supercharger's circuit...

I always nav to the charger and I've always made sure to space myself out from other cars. This morning it was an urban supercharger so the one other car shouldn't have mattered right? Regardless they were still several spots away.

Reactions: israndy
I always nav to the charger and I've always made sure to space myself out from other cars. This morning it was an urban supercharger so the one other car shouldn't have mattered right? Regardless they were still several spots away.
Correct. Urban Superchargers aren't paired, nor are v3 Superchargers. Also, it's good you are attempting not to use a share set of Superchargers but you can't just rely on spacing. You need to pay attention to the actual numbers on the v2 stalls. Sometimes they are 123123. Other times, they are 112233. If you want the best charging speeds, try to use a Supercharger where both A & B Superchargers are still open.

Okay, found some more time to try a few ideas in ABRP to figure out what you might have done, since you won't tell us.

Here's my latest attempt:
by default 2020-12-21 at 4.49.48 PM.jpg

Not too far off your post:
by default 2020-12-21 at 12.49.10 PM.jpg

As you can see, the charge times are fairly close, and at the same SCs. And, the travel time is also fairly close. The following are the assumptions I had to make to get that result:
ZERO Fahrenheit
Recharge and Destination SOC: 25%
Departure SOC: 80%
Speed: 105% of speed limit, max of 70mph
Charge overhead: 5 mins per stop.

If that's anywhere near what the OP did, then it's nowhere near optimal or best practices or how anyone should do the trip. 25% SOC at recharge is way too much. I would set it at 10 to 12%. And up the speed to 115% of limit. And don't travel when it's Zero F. At 20F, making the changes will reduce your trip time by 45mins.

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker

Hmmmm, how long were you driving before arriving at the Supercharger? Fully pre-conditioning the battery can take 30 minutes or more in cold temperatures...

Did you happen to notice the peak charging rate, and what was your arrival SOC (state of charge)? Charging is far faster at low SOC (like below 50%)

Correct. Urban Superchargers aren't paired, nor are v3 Superchargers. Also, it's good you are attempting not to use a share set of Superchargers but you can't just rely on spacing. You need to pay attention to the actual numbers on the v2 stalls. Sometimes they are 123123. Other times, they are 112233. If you want the best charging speeds, try to use a Supercharger where both A & B Superchargers are still open.

I always make sure to check that, too. I'm really thinking it's the cold New England weather

Hmmmm, how long were you driving before arriving at the Supercharger? Fully pre-conditioning the battery can take 30 minutes or more in cold temperatures...

Did you happen to notice the peak charging rate, and what was your arrival SOC (state of charge)? Charging is far faster at low SOC (like below 50%)

This morning it was probably right about 30 minutes on the highway of driving, and it was above freezing actually. The peak rate was close to 65 and my arrival SOC was around 40% and I was only trying to get it up to 50%. The car estimated 10 minutes, it took closer to 20

This has become quite the thread. In my week of ownership and the few times I've supercharged the one thing I've learned is the "time remaining" for the charge displayed on the screen is almost never accurate. For example, this morning what was supposed to be a 10 minute charge turned into something close to 20. The other night when told a charge would be 35 minutes, an hour plus later I was still sitting there looking at "15 minutes remaining." Granted, it's been below freezing most of the last week so maybe that causes this? I'm hoping to make my first long trip that will necessitate using ABRP this week, we'll see if it keeps doing this.!

2 things happen:

(1) If someone plugs into a neighboring paired stall, it will reduce your charging power.

(2) If your battery goes above 70, 80% or so, the charging power reduces. Im not sure if the initial estimate takes that curve into account or not - because it's atypical to top up to 90,100% at SCs, and that's not suggested by onboard trip computer or 3rd party planners as the optimal strategy.

...The peak rate was close to 65 and my arrival SOC was around 40% and I was only trying to get it up to 50%. The car estimated 10 minutes, it took closer to 20

Did you see a notification on the screen about pre-conditioning being in process?

65 KW is kinda slow, but that could be related both to insufficient pre-conditioning and to the relatively high SOC.

Okay, found some more time to try a few ideas in ABRP to figure out what you might have done, since you won't tell us.

Here's my latest attempt:
View attachment 619868

Not too far off your post:
View attachment 619869
As you can see, the charge times are fairly close, and at the same SCs. And, the travel time is also fairly close. The following are the assumptions I had to make to get that result:
ZERO Fahrenheit
Recharge and Destination SOC: 25%
Departure SOC: 80%
Speed: 105% of speed limit, max of 70mph
Charge overhead: 5 mins per stop.

If that's anywhere near what the OP did, then it's nowhere near optimal or best practices or how anyone should do the trip. 25% SOC at recharge is way too much. I would set it at 10 to 12%. And up the speed to 115% of limit. And don't travel when it's Zero F. At 20F, making the changes will reduce your trip time by 45mins.
You were quite close. My consumption was ~330. SR+ doesn't have locked battery buffer, so my max charge is 80%, and almost never go beyond 20%, 10% is asking for trouble if something is wrong with the charger.
Turnpike speed limit is 70, everyone drives 80-85, its two lane high speed highway, (I tried)driving at 70mph it seems like it increases chances of being rear ended a lot. Temps were about 0C in Philly -10C in Pittsburgh, not sure about wind, it was snowing closer to Pittsburgh.
Charge overhead is probably correct, takes about 5 minutes to get off and back on turnpike.

You were quite close. My consumption was ~330. SR+ doesn't have locked battery buffer, so my max charge is 80%, and almost never go beyond 20%, 10% is asking for trouble if something is wrong with the charger.
Turnpike speed limit is 70, everyone drives 80-85, its two lane high speed highway, (I tried)driving at 70mph it seems like it increases chances of being rear ended a lot. Temps were about 0C in Philly -10C in Pittsburgh, not sure about wind, it was snowing closer to Pittsburgh.
Charge overhead is probably correct, takes about 5 minutes to get off and back on turnpike.
B14F760F-3A85-4891-90DE-D95F560F427E.jpeg

Unfortunately, a combination of extremely cold weather and conservative personal choices has created an unsatisfactory travel experience.

When I was trying to decide what Tesla model to buy, I ran tons of simulations on ABRP, to see how a Chevy Bolt compared, and whether I could save some money and buy a MR instead of a LR. Trying a variety of common trips, to Boston, Philly, upstate NY, and NC; and less common trips, to Nova Scotia, Montreal and Quebec, I learned that there was a big drop off in convenience if I went with the smaller battery.

For me, there’s been no change in my common 340 mile trips to Boston. I make 2 stops just like I did in my ICE. And I stop for almost the exact same amount of time. 10mins each way for a toilet break and a coffee. Now, I plug in before going to the toilet and getting my coffee. 10mins on way there, and 15mins on way home, so maybe 5mins more, total. Of course that assumes I don’t get gas on the way, because then the ICE takes longer. And I still have to stop to get gas before and after the trip. Got to add those into a fair comparison. The truth is, with a LR, I save time compared to my ICE. Fortunately for me, the Superchargers are at the highway rest stop, I’ve stopped at for the last 40+ yrs. so no extra time getting off and on the highway.

In the above image, you can see with a LR-AWD, at zero F, 115% of speed limit, stopping at 12%, you can do the trip a LOT faster. That’s why most people were skeptical. We didn’t know you were driving a SR+ and refilling at 20% SOC. You’re far more conservative than most. If you’re concerned with broken Superchargers, you should consider a backup solution using generic DC fast chargers.

Your personal choices, unfortunately, are creating your lousy experience. Nothing to do with fanboys or stock shills.

I've tried the search function to no avail. Does anyone recall seeing recent discussion threads regarding owner experiences at superchargers? I am interested in how much additional time I need to factor in planning road trips. Also, what kinds of problems are people experiencing at superchargers?

For before trip planning use a better route planner or evtripplanner. Once in the nav and plot to your next supercharger. There are no issues with Superchargers but do you know how they work? Like how 1a and 1 b share power? Or the difference between a Gen2 or Gen 3 supercharging station? I would do a little more research before buying if you don't know anything about Teslas and how EVs work.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Forget all the better route planner and other *sugar*.

get in your car. Tell it where you want to go. That’s it.
While that works for shorter trips, it doesn't provide the best options for multi-day trips. The in-car navigation will usually lead to longer charging times which will make the trip take longer. Also, it's harder to plan ahead and know exactly where and when you'll be stopping for the night.

While we don't use ABRP on the actual drive, it's an invaluable tool for planning before a road trip. We recently did a multi-day road trip with an S and a LR 3 and ABRP allowed us to plan everything in advance and confirm the 3 would be able to make it to the same Superchargers as the S. Yes, we could've just used the in-car navigation but then our "convoy" wouldn't have lasted long since the in-car navigation would've suggested stopping and charging in different cities for each car on the 1000 mile drive back to Colorado.

While that works for shorter trips, it doesn't provide the best options for multi-day trips. The in-car navigation will usually lead to longer charging times which will make the trip take longer. Also, it's harder to plan ahead and know exactly where and when you'll be stopping for the night.

While we don't use ABRP on the actual drive, it's an invaluable tool for planning before a road trip. We recently did a multi-day road trip with an S and a LR 3 and ABRP allowed us to plan everything in advance and confirm the 3 would be able to make it to the same Superchargers as the S. Yes, we could've just used the in-car navigation but then our "convoy" wouldn't have lasted long since the in-car navigation would've suggested stopping and charging in different cities for each car on the 1000 mile drive back to Colorado.
What ever floats your boat.

Get in car. Tell it where your going. Done

I have found that ARBP well give me better info than just the nav. I did a trip from Las Vegas to my cabin in Sonora, CA and if I had left it up to the car it would have taken me to Reno from Gardnerville, across on 80, and then down 49, and finally back eastward on 108, instead I just took 108 west direct to the cabin because I saw it in ABRP. Half a day off my travel time.

When the new Tesla Nav waypoints feature arrives it will be interesting to compare the two again

Saying. "it takes 2 hours to charge for every 5 hours driven, there isnt any real way that I or anyone else can see to make that happen, unless someone is trying to do that.
Difficult for me to parse that. Clearly though, people *love* to talk about themselves -- it is its own motive force that keeps a forum running ;)

Engineering types find this discussion sleep inducing. It comes down (after the destination charge is exhausted) to average Supercharging being 100- 150 kW in the lower SoC range and driving 20 - 30 kW. The range of charging:driving time then spans 10:3 down to 15:2