Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Fort MacLeod, AB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You would think, but not a lot of Tesla’s come up into Canada at this border. Even pre covid this charger was never full, and I doubt it was even at half capacity. I expect that to be different this year. Still don’t understand why fort McLeod instead of Lethbridge was chosen. Lethbridge would be better for people coming up the sweet grass border. I don’t think we will see anymore Superchargers in this area. One in Calgary south would be lovely

Still don’t understand why fort McLeod instead of Lethbridge was chosen. Lethbridge would be better for people coming up the sweet grass border.
Fort MacLeod also covers Highway 3 Westbound to BC and South to Waterton Lakes National Park / Cardston / Glacier National Park, while still serving Highway 3 through Lethbridge then Highway 4 to Sweetgrass, and Highway 3 Eastbound connecting to Highway 1 through Lethbridge then Taber then Medicine Hat. If they had a choice for a single site for Supercharger, this covers a lot more routes than just the two routes through Lethbridge. Also with the combination of Fort MacLeod and Shelby, they cover East/West through northern Montana through Montana Highway 2, also providing US coverage of Glacier National Park East gate (St. Mary & East Glacier Park Village).

Annual daily 2019 traffic counts (picked 2019 for latest pre-pandemic figures)
from Traffic volumes at points on the highway - Open Government

Counts that could be served by Fort MacLeod only
Highway 3 Eastbound to Crowsnest/Fernie: 4910 (Brocket), 4980 (BC border)
Highway 2 Southbound to Cardston/Carway: 2730 (North of Cardston), 510 (Carway border)

Counts that can be served by Fort both MacLeod and Lethbridge
Highway 4 Southbound to Lethbridge/Coutts: 2460 (North of Warner), 1780 (Coutts border)
Highway 3 Eastbound to Lethbridge/Taber/Medicine Hat: 4340 (Fincastle)

Having one site cover all these routes as opposed to one site covering less than half the traffic of these routes is fairly obvious.

The only drawback is no local Supercharging for the metro Lethbridge area (4th largest in Alberta at 87572 population in 2016). But Supercharging at least in Alberta is not currently optimized for local urban charging, but filling in long distance routes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lightbulb
Sort of related: Looking at the population listings for cities in Alberta and correlating to current/future Superchargers:

There are Superchargers in
1. Calgary (also close to 8. Airdrie)
2. Edmonton (somewhat close to 11. Leduc)
3. Red Deer
6. Medicine Hat
10. Lloydminster
21. Strathmore
25. Canmore (close to 34. Banff)
33. Edson
48. Vegreville
54. Jasper
67. Fort MacLeod
113. Bassano

Top cities without Superchargers
4. Lethbridge
5. Fort McMurray
7. Grande Prairie

You would think, but not a lot of Tesla’s come up into Canada at this border. Even pre covid this charger was never full, and I doubt it was even at half capacity. I expect that to be different this year. Still don’t understand why fort McLeod instead of Lethbridge was chosen. Lethbridge would be better for people coming up the sweet grass border. I don’t think we will see anymore Superchargers in this area. One in Calgary south would be lovely
The Flo charger in Milk River came online in early 2020 and the supercharger in Great falls in June 2020. Fort Macleod is going to get busy when the border opens.

The Flo charger in Milk River came online in early 2020 and the supercharger in Great falls in June 2020. Fort Macleod is going to get busy when the border
If that’s true, then they won’t be too happy since this charger only does 134kwh for about 3-4 min then drops down to 72kwh for the remaining. This super chargers is always getting vandalized. They may have fixed the broken stations so it looks functional now, but it’s the worst supercharger I’ve been too, but it’s also one fo the oldest in Canada I believe

This station is always slow now. Doesn’t matter what percentage I come with I usually don’t get more than 80kw. This last time I showed up 16% and preconditioned and it only took 68kw max. even after charging for 10 min

Attachments

• CFC48EA7-BCDA-40C3-A05C-8F3A5E4B67A2.jpeg
    CFC48EA7-BCDA-40C3-A05C-8F3A5E4B67A2.jpeg
    460.1 KB · Views: 85
This station is always slow now. Doesn’t matter what percentage I come with I usually don’t get more than 80kw. This last time I showed up 16% and preconditioned and it only took 68kw max. even after charging for 10 min
I just charged there this evening. Started at 40% and it ramped up to 120 kW no problem. Picked one of the middle units.

Well I have been there twice in the last week, started off at around a 1/4 charge, and all I got was 60 odd kw. I shoulda moved. So next time I went to a different charger (not one of the 3s) and it was better. A guy in a Y came by and was only getting 60KWs I suggested to moving to one of the 1s or 2s. He plugged into a 2 and was getting 144kw. It's def. not just me. I also felt that first night, that the handle was quite warm. Somethings up.

I've sent Tesla suggestions for a new location at either Aldersyde Petro Canada (hwy 7 & hwy 2) or at High River (hwy 23 & hwy 2) for those traveling southwest from Calgary to go through Crowsnest Pass. Most people take the 540 across to the 22 then South. The 533 from Nanton is good in Summer, but goes over a high pass and often has heavy/blowing snow in Winter which the 540 avoids. I could see Aldersyde being appealing as it would also serve people from Okotoks going into Calgary potentially, but I'd assume they'd not need charging so close to home. High River could serve people traveling from rural areas along hwy 23 SE of Calgary like Vulcan as well as hwy 22 travelers. This would also add another stop between North of Calgary and Fort Macleod where there seems to be a bit of a gap.

Tesla supercharger suggestion page:

Gas stations/service area possible locations linked below.

I posted this in the South Calgary supercharger thread as well so hopefully Tesla can get more suggestions for this area from other users that are interested.

I've sent Tesla suggestions for a new location at either Aldersyde Petro Canada (hwy 7 & hwy 2) or at High River (hwy 23 & hwy 2) for those traveling southwest from Calgary to go through Crowsnest Pass. Most people take the 540 across to the 22 then South. The 533 from Nanton is good in Summer, but goes over a high pass and often has heavy/blowing snow in Winter which the 540 avoids. I could see Aldersyde being appealing as it would also serve people from Okotoks going into Calgary potentially, but I'd assume they'd not need charging so close to home. High River could serve people traveling from rural areas along hwy 23 SE of Calgary like Vulcan as well as hwy 22 travelers. This would also add another stop between North of Calgary and Fort Macleod where there seems to be a bit of a gap.

Tesla supercharger suggestion page:

Gas stations/service area possible locations linked below.

I posted this in the South Calgary supercharger thread as well so hopefully Tesla can get more suggestions for this area from other users that are interested.
I really like that suggestion. Living in Lethbridge and going up for service or to visit Calgary I have to either go up to the mall to charge or zoot over to strathmore (usually my go to) to be able to make it home. I just really don’t see them adding another one there, especially when Edmonton only has one

Well I have been there twice in the last week, started off at around a 1/4 charge, and all I got was 60 odd kw. I shoulda moved. So next time I went to a different charger (not one of the 3s) and it was better. A guy in a Y came by and was only getting 60KWs I suggested to moving to one of the 1s or 2s. He plugged into a 2 and was getting 144kw. It's def. not just me. I also felt that first night, that the handle was quite warm. Somethings up.
I guess we need to make a mental note of which ones work and which ones are slow. The one furthest west is usually my go to but seems to be one that’s slowed down now