Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Edson, AB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

[B]Xelloss99[/B] just posted on the Western Canada Supercharger thread (Western Canada Superchargers) that National Resources Canada has updated their website with an address for the supercharger location at Edson Alberta. Looks like Edson will be getting eight (8) charging stations at 4523 4 Avenue, Edson, AB. No note on whether those stations will be all Tesla Superchargers or if that will include Chadimo/CCS chargers too.

Electric Vehicle and Alternative Fuel Infrastructure Deployment Initiative - Successful Applicants – Phase 2

No note on whether those stations will be all Tesla Superchargers or if that will include Chadimo/CCS chargers too.
All sites that receive NRCan funding are limited under the terms of the grant to a maximum of 75% of the charging stations using proprietary charging standards (i.e. Tesla). So, if the station has 8 chargers total, there could be 6 superchargers max and a minimum of 2 universal (i.e. CCS/CHAdeMO) chargers.

Reactions: Chuq and XHabjab
Edson, AB

Along National Highways: YH/AB-16
Along Provincial Highways (<=8km): None

YH/AB-16/BC-16

To: Vegreville, AB - 294 km
Diversion: 0.8 km
To: Lloydminster, AB - 449.1 km
(Edmonton, AB is a significant diversion, so not included as being on the Yellowhead Highway, although really, beggars wouldn't be choosers.).

To: Edmonton, AB (YH/AB-16, AB-216, AB-2) - 206.9km

All sites that receive NRCan funding are limited under the terms of the grant to a maximum of 75% of the charging stations using proprietary charging standards (i.e. Tesla). So, if the station has 8 chargers total, there could be 6 superchargers max and a minimum of 2 universal (i.e. CCS/CHAdeMO) chargers.
I can see them doing eight (8) Superchargers and three (3) universal chargers similar to what they are doing in Jasper.
I am honestly surprised that they don’t have plans for another sight between Edson and Edmonton, that is along gap without chargers in the winter. I would not be surprised it they put in a sight at Entwhistle/Evensburg to reduce the distance between chargers. Time will tell if they will need one in between. Now to impatiently wait for them to be built and come on line, would love to be able to take the Y to Jasper for a vacation once it is safe to travel again.

Reactions: bpjod
Edson, AB

Along National Highways: YH/AB-16
Along Provincial Highways (<=8km): None

YH/AB-16/BC-16

To: Vegreville, AB - 294 km
Diversion: 0.8 km
To: Lloydminster, AB - 449.1 km
(Edmonton, AB is a significant diversion, so not included as being on the Yellowhead Highway, although really, beggars wouldn't be choosers.).

To: Edmonton, AB (YH/AB-16, AB-216, AB-2) - 206.9km
It would definitely be nice if they put one along the Yellowhead in Edmonton, but it would not surprise me it they hold off until the freeway conversion plans are finalized before picking a spot to build them. Kingsway Mall might be a okay choice, lots of services around and not too far off the Yellowhead and would avoid the majority of the disruption from the freeway construction.

I can see them doing eight (8) Superchargers and three (3) universal chargers similar to what they are doing in Jasper.
Sure, but the NRCan grant explicitly lists the Tesla Edson location as having 8 charging stations total, which means it'll be 6 superchargers and 2 CCS/CHAdeMO. If they did 8 and 3, the grant would list the location as 11 stations total which is what is listed for the Jasper location.

Jasper is a special case where due to being in a national park with tightly controlled development permits, the municipal council had to be involved in the decision and required that Tesla install Universal DC fast chargers in addition to the Superchargers to avoid giving Tesla preferential treatment on government lands. Tesla requested 8 Superchargers, and the town wanted equal opportunity for other electric vehicles, and it was decided that an 8 Tesla to 3 non-Tesla ratio of chargers approximates the Tesla to non-Tesla vehicles on the road at the time of the application.

Since Universal chargers were mandatory for Tesla to install any Superchargers in Jasper, and the NRCan funding was available, this probably started this whole round of NRCan funded Tesla chargers with this unique Tesla & Universal requirement, since if they had to do it for one, they might as well do it for more.

You can read up on this in the Jasper thread - the municipal council meeting minutes is interesting reading and the video conference had some good insight to the reasoning for the decisions made. The behind-the scenes information with the planning and costs of DC charging are especially eye opening.

In any case, the following are my thoughts for the reasoning of 6+2 here and 8+3 in Jasper.

As an example for previous Supercharger installations, the Trans-Canada 1 Supercharger installations are mostly 6 stall V3 locations, leaving two spots open for expansion without having to add new transformers or cabinets.

Trans-Canada 16 has less traffic then TC-1, so likely doesn't need any more than 6 stall V3 chargers either (at least to start with), which makes sense with the 8 stall locations for most of them - 6 as Tesla Superchargers and 2 as Universal chargers for funding eligibility.

There may be a few reasons Jasper has 8+3 rather than 6+2:

1. Due to the unique location in the tightly regulated national park, the approvals required, and the lot being on municipal lands, likely Tesla was concerned that starting with 6 now and trying to add 2 more to fill out the cabinets later might not get approved or at least will be difficult to approve later, so they may have wanted the maximized end count in their proposal so they don't have to come back later to add more.

2. Jasper is a tourist centre, so will, in addition to the through traffic on TC-16, will also have traffic through Icefields Parkway AB-93, and also tourists staying in town needing Supercharging for their visit, hence they may have anticipated more initial use than the rest of TC-16.

3. The remainder of the TC-16 locations are all on private lands and will likely be a lot easier to add on later when it merits expanding the number of Supercharger stalls. Also, they can add just the additional Supercharger stalls and not be required to add additional Universal stalls at that time.

Just my thoughts on this and why the 6+2 makes a lot of sense on most of the new sites.

It would definitely be nice if they put one along the Yellowhead in Edmonton, but it would not surprise me it they hold off until the freeway conversion plans are finalized before picking a spot to build them. Kingsway Mall might be a okay choice, lots of services around and not too far off the Yellowhead and would avoid the majority of the disruption from the freeway construction.
I imagine a SC at Evansburg or Entwistle would be the best spot between Edmonton and Edson. A SC between Spruce Grove Anthony Henday Drive would be great too.

Edson, AB.jpg

I would say that they started work this week some time, here are some pictures I took tonight while waiting for the car to charge.

Attachments

• 34E679EC-E0F7-4DA5-A8C7-25C3609D6D6D.jpeg
    34E679EC-E0F7-4DA5-A8C7-25C3609D6D6D.jpeg
    932.2 KB · Views: 88
  • 3FA189FC-9FDC-42BB-B902-14840D8AE18F.jpeg
    3FA189FC-9FDC-42BB-B902-14840D8AE18F.jpeg
    669.7 KB · Views: 98
  • ABD6779F-3AA2-4C8D-9C80-9D6CC21D7EA9.jpeg
    ABD6779F-3AA2-4C8D-9C80-9D6CC21D7EA9.jpeg
    942.7 KB · Views: 76
  • E2B6A837-2F77-4A85-B9C7-3A1AB04E2364.jpeg
    E2B6A837-2F77-4A85-B9C7-3A1AB04E2364.jpeg