Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Gastonia, NC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And while I haven't stopped at Old Fort personally, it seems like traffic at that SC would be pretty much zero concern!
Ya zero traffic. They are doing a little construction between the gas station and the highway. Looks like a little infrastructure but doesn't really slow you down. I was there yesterday. Just wish there were a few food options other than DQ and the gas station. Marion would have been my pick instead of Old Fort. Again splitting Hickory and Asheville more equally. Charging in the mountains is definitely needed.

Voted for Sylva in the new Supercharger voting program. Obviously a bit biased. If the put the location in the city limits I think this will be a great location. Close to highway (74) and close to food options. Both are required to be a good location in my opinion.

Reactions: Drucifer
Ya zero traffic. They are doing a little construction between the gas station and the highway. Looks like a little infrastructure but doesn't really slow you down. I was there yesterday. Just wish there were a few food options other than DQ and the gas station. Marion would have been my pick instead of Old Fort. Again splitting Hickory and Asheville more equally. Charging in the mountains is definitely needed.

Voted for Sylva in the new Supercharger voting program. Obviously a bit biased. If the put the location in the city limits I think this will be a great location. Close to highway (74) and close to food options. Both are required to be a good location in my opinion.
I agree about Marion, NC. I actually voted for that one as a future site in the online poll. Its also really useful for anyone going down 221 into SC after visiting the Boone area.

• Disagree
Reactions: MyEarHurts
Wait, you voted for Marion? I did this all wrong! I only voted for locations that had markers on the map.
That's good, but there also another option to suggest sites for future rounds. I only did that, as I literally didn't care about any of the ones they are having us vote for in this round.

TBH, I'd also like to see a new site on I-22 in MS. Tupelo is a bit of a detour and had a couple of failed stalls when I visited it last.

That's good, but there also another option to suggest sites for future rounds. I only did that, as I literally didn't care about any of the ones they are having us vote for in this round.

TBH, I'd also like to see a new site on I-22 in MS. Tupelo is a bit of a detour and had a couple of failed stalls when I visited it last.
I wish the voting allowed you to weigh-in once a general location has been picked. Maybe not the exact parcel, since that would be really difficult. But for instance my hesitations for the Gastonia location. Or the fact that there is a second location in Mt Airy, because the first location isn't ideal. Feel like that's where the local knowledge is really beneficial. Local owners know the areas better than distant project managers. Oh well. We already have plenty of locations for my needs, so anything else is just gravy!

Reactions: jsight
I wish the voting allowed you to weigh-in once a general location has been picked. Maybe not the exact parcel, since that would be really difficult. But for instance my hesitations for the Gastonia location. Or the fact that there is a second location in Mt Airy, because the first location isn't ideal. Feel like that's where the local knowledge is really beneficial. Local owners know the areas better than distant project managers. Oh well. We already have plenty of locations for my needs, so anything else is just gravy!
Yeah, I used the old Mt. Airy location. That place was so busy it took a long time to just get out of the parking lot. Not to mention that it was a huge detour off of I-77. The three new sites they've added on I-77 in NC and SC since then are really nice improvements.

TBH, the Gasonia location isn't great, but it will still be better for me than the existing CLT locations. I do hope something eventually comes near Gaffney, though.

The Piedmont location is only a couple hundred yards from the interstate, if that. It's the closest supercharger to the interstate I've seen.

The next supercharger going south from the Piedmont one, Fair Play, is better still. It's right off the service road which the northbound off-ramp runs into, and you can see if from the tops of the exit. Big parking lot with a large gas station/convenience store, and a nice local restaurant that's open for breakfast and lunch six days a week. There's even a CCS/CHAdeMO unit beside it, as a backup option, if you have the appropriate adapters.

Reactions: CapsEngineer
The next supercharger going south from the Piedmont one, Fair Play, is better still. It's right off the service road which the northbound off-ramp runs into, and you can see if from the tops of the exit. Big parking lot with a large gas station/convenience store, and a nice local restaurant that's open for breakfast and lunch six days a week. There's even a CCS/CHAdeMO unit beside it, as a backup option, if you have the appropriate adapters.
Is that CCS/chademo unit still there? I no longer see it on Plugshare.

• Informative
Reactions: vanjwilson
Is that CCS/chademo unit still there? I no longer see it on Plugshare.

Wow! I was just down that way back in the summer--don't remember the exact date--and I think the CSS/CHAdeMO was there then, but I don't see it in Plugshare now, either. That's really odd.

No one answered the phone at the convenience store for me to ask. We'll be down that way before Christmas to visit my wife's family in Georgia, and I will see for myself then.

Wow! I was just down that way back in the summer--don't remember the exact date--and I think the CSS/CHAdeMO was there then, but I don't see it in Plugshare now, either. That's really odd.

No one answered the phone at the convenience store for me to ask. We'll be down that way before Christmas to visit my wife's family in Georgia, and I will see for myself then.
I saw it when we were there back in March, so they must have removed it since then. Maybe the site has to pay the chargepoint and power fees? Its likely it wasn't profitable.

Still no activity at the Best Buy location. Looks like it’s delayed quite a bit.

0444A16D-1E6A-48CF-9EB5-CCBB52D79118.jpeg