Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Guilderland, NY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thruway Exit 45 would be a perfect location for a SuperCharger. Half way between Buffalo and Syracuse with a mall and shopping center just off the exit on I-490, NY 96. Binghamton I-81 Exit 5 has the best connections to all the interstates. It would be a nice alternative to have SuperChargers along I-86 west. With SuperChargers in Binghamton and Rochester the Finger Lakes touring becomes possible.

I spoke to Ungerman again this morning as they finished up at my house, and the contractor managing the SC installs is negotiating with them over Rochester and Binghampton. No deals signed yet.

Totally agree that Binghamton is better than Ithaca, and I wonder if they would eliminate Buffalo in favor of one in Rochester, one in Erie, and then one on I-86 near Hornell. That would cover all of NY state pretty much, except for the Adirondacks and Northern Tier.

- - - Updated - - -

One vote for the Binghamton, NY location! While i love Ithaca, it's more a destination than a thru-point, while Binghamton is the crossroads of 3 interstates, and would make soooo much more sense for a Supercharger.

So very true. I would love to see one in Ithaca *also*, but Binghamton makes much more sense from a travel standpoint. My only problem will be that I usually cut across the bottom of the Finger Lakes from Bath/Hammondsport to get to Ithaca, and hitting Binghamton to charge makes for a long way around!

Weird, looking at the map the future stations look like Syracuse and Ithaca. Nothing near Rochester or Binghampton. But that's what the guy said.

They've always said the map is for general placement only - i remember several (Danbury, CT, Richmond, VA, one in NC) that weren't geographically precise either.

- - - Updated - - -

So very true. I would love to see one in Ithaca *also*, but Binghamton makes much more sense from a travel standpoint. My only problem will be that I usually cut across the bottom of the Finger Lakes from Bath/Hammondsport to get to Ithaca, and hitting Binghamton to charge makes for a long way around!

I've been driving from Rockland County to the Finger Lakes area for the past year, and it's amazing what a barren area that part of Upstate is for chargers - thank heaven for the Nissan dealers, but it's obvious that we're not their desired market and since it's only during dealer hours you really can't rely on them. So Binghamton, Ithaca or even Norwich - wherever it is that'll be on my route! Come to think of it, the Rongovian Embassy would be perfect - food, drink & live music while you supercharge!

I've been driving from Rockland County to the Finger Lakes area for the past year, and it's amazing what a barren area that part of Upstate is for chargers - thank heaven for the Nissan dealers, but it's obvious that we're not their desired market and since it's only during dealer hours you really can't rely on them. So Binghamton, Ithaca or even Norwich - wherever it is that'll be on my route! Come to think of it, the Rongovian Embassy would be perfect - food, drink & live music while you supercharge!

The Rongo! You must be a fellow Cornellian? '92 here.

I agree that Binghamton makes more sense than Ithaca. However, I think Syracuse makes more sense than Rochester because it is at the intersection of the North South highway, I-81 and East West I90. I believe there are many Canadian Tesla owners who would want a charger off of I81 near Syracuse. Chargers at Buffalo, Syracuse and Albany make sense to me for crossing the state East to West or West to East.

I agree that Binghamton makes more sense than Ithaca. However, I think Syracuse makes more sense than Rochester because it is at the intersection of the North South highway, I-81 and East West I90. I believe there are many Canadian Tesla owners who would want a charger off of I81 near Syracuse. Chargers at Buffalo, Syracuse and Albany make sense to me for crossing the state East to West or West to East.

Yah good point, Syracuse has the I-81 tie-in. What the heck, I say put one in all of these cities. Just give me I-86 coverage as well!

I was sent this picture of the Albany location. Sure looks like it's working.
IMG_8163.jpg

Hey terrific!! I will also travel from Buffalo to this ribbon cutting!! I cannot wait for the syracuse charger (that makes more sense in my mind than Albany since it is central and will enable easy travel between the western and central parts of the state.) I also think Binghamton makes more sense than Ithaca, but either would work.

Ron

- - - Updated - - -

I meant to say Syracuse makes more sense than Rochester (sorry)