Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Hamilton Township, NJ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thread bump....

I'm in Cherry Hill NJ with 45 rated miles on the clock. Hamilton Marketplace is 30 miles away according to the Nav.. And I'm getting warnings like "drive slow to destination" and range will be reduced if it gets colder. The energy app says I should arrive with 6% charge remaining. I've never run my battery this low... Can I trust that I'll make it to Hamilton without running out of charge? I'll probably take Rt 70 to 295n to 130n to Hamilton. I just wan to make sure the charge usage is linear on the way down and won't be surprised half way there. Thanks.

Thread bump....

I'm in Cherry Hill NJ with 45 rated miles on the clock. Hamilton Marketplace is 30 miles away according to the Nav.. And I'm getting warnings like "drive slow to destination" and range will be reduced if it gets colder. The energy app says I should arrive with 6% charge remaining. I've never run my battery this low... Can I trust that I'll make it to Hamilton without running out of charge? I'll probably take Rt 70 to 295n to 130n to Hamilton. I just wan to make sure the charge usage is linear on the way down and won't be surprised half way there. Thanks.

It's not too bad. Drive ~65 or less on 295 and 130 or 195 and you should be OK. It's mostly flat.

Edit: There is a J1772 Chargepoint right off of 295 at Rutgers Eco Center if you need it. Exit.... 56 I think? Been a while.

But I think you'll be fine if you don't drive like a maniac. ;P

IMG_9767.JPG
Stopped here with the wife coming home from our South Jersey to Boston trip. We managed to explore five different supercharges on this trip. Great to know what amenities are where for those last-minute trips!

Hamilton was a little out of the way between the NJ turnpike and 295. Its in an open-air set of shops, right behind the Barnes and Nobles. If you are there during business hours, bathrooms and a Starbucks are available right inside. Looked very lonely when we were there, with ours being the only Tesla in the six marked spots.

• Informative
Reactions: acarlos1000
That's the sad 'forgotten' supercharger.

Once upon a time, that was the only place to get a charge between Greenwich, CT and Newark, DE. It was really popular. There was a huge opening day ceremony and everything. Life was good.

But then these new young kids came to town along the Turnpike and Edison and Paramus, with their new and cool charging stalls, and poor Hamilton Marketplace just wasn't hip anymore. Sure, a few cars stop by here and there, but it's not like the good ol'days anymore.

• Funny
Reactions: fallen888

Once upon a time, that was the only place to get a charge between Greenwich, CT and Newark, DE. It was really popular. There was a huge opening day ceremony and everything. Life was good.

But then these new young kids came to town along the Turnpike and Edison and Paramus, with their new and cool charging stalls, and poor Hamilton Marketplace just wasn't hip anymore. Sure, a few cars stop by here and there, but it's not like the good ol'days anymore.

But, although they are very convenient, the stops along the turnpike are pretty unpleasant in terms of food selection and general cleanliness. That said, you are right and I haven't ventured off the beaten path to Hamilton since the others opened.

My observations have been completely opposite, whenever we stop in Hamilton there are always a couple other Teslas charging. It still seems very popular. The ones on the turnpike are frequently empty or have a lone tesla charging. The B&N in hamilton is a great place to stop and do some shopping, or just browsing.

I only ever stop at the turnpike ones if I just a bathroom break or a few extra miles.

Sure, for people traveling east-west into PA the HM SC makes sense and is a nice stop. Panera is right next to it for food, drinks, and a nice place to wait.

But if you're traveling N-S o the NJTP, it's just way to far out of the way for the few niceties it has over the turnpike stops. Stopping there easily adds 30 minutes just going on/off the NJTP at exit 7A.

For many of our DC / NJ trips, we take I-295 instead of the southern part of NJTP and stop at Hamilton, in part because we like the amenities (Panera, B&N) better than the turnpike or I-95 rest stops. More than anything it depends on traffic patterns and our schedule, though.

I definitely wouldn't call it "forgotten" -- last couple times we stopped, I think it was full enough we had to share power with another car (i.e. at least one car charging on each pair of 1/2/3). In any case, it's nice to have options.

I travel this way frequently and will sometimes stop at the NJTPK ones but far more frequently stop at the Hamilton one. It takes an extra 5 minutes to get to, but being right next to Barnes and Nobles is great. I frequently need to do some shopping there anyway. There are also a ton of good food options in that shopping center too. In general the only reason I use the NJTPK ones is if I just need a little bit extra to make it home.

The Hamilton one is always much more crowded than the NJTPK ones, I don't know that I've ever seen it completely full, but its not unusual to see 3 or 4 other cars there.

Sure, for people traveling east-west into PA the HM SC makes sense and is a nice stop. Panera is right next to it for food, drinks, and a nice place to wait.

But if you're traveling N-S o the NJTP, it's just way to far out of the way for the few niceties it has over the turnpike stops. Stopping there easily adds 30 minutes just going on/off the NJTP at exit 7A.

Hank, I thought you mentioned this SC is less than 5 minutes from the NJTP? Am I better off going to Cranbury? (I did that last year and it was fine although I missed the entrance ramp and had to go down a one way lane the wrong direction!).

It depends on what you want. If you want a nice place to stop with kids, it's good and worth the extra time. If you want to minimize stopping time only to charge, go to Cranbury. Not sure why I said 30 minutes (which is 15 minutes each way). On a map it does look like 5 minutes, but there's a very long traffic light at the jughandle that adds a few minutes.

But don't over-analyze it too much. Either one will work. Just enjoy the ride.

• Love
Reactions: mbhforum
Hank, I thought you mentioned this SC is less than 5 minutes from the NJTP? Am I better off going to Cranbury? (I did that last year and it was fine although I missed the entrance ramp and had to go down a one way lane the wrong direction!).

If you're already on the NJTP and don't intend on getting off; I'd recommend charging in Cranbury; especially if it's a quick stop and go (15-45min) If you're looking for a place to do an extended stop (shopping, sit down meal, walk around, 45min+) then I'd take the detour to Hamilton.

On paper it's 5min 3 miles, but it generally takes me 15-20min round trip when I stop here; not including charging time.
- NJ Turnpike exit 7A to 195W
- 195W to exit 5A
- Then a jughandle into the shopping center, get caught at the light and it's easily 5 minutes waiting for the same light twice.

Reactions: EdA