Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Harrisburg, PA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I posted on another forum today about cross country trips with a Tesla. I picked some locations at random off the map and made 3 cross country trips from the east coast to petaluma, ca (also a random city) and ironically 2 of the 3 trips I picked needed the Harrisburg, PA supercharger to shorten the trip.

For an example Sagamore Beach, MA 02562 to 401 Kenilworth Drive Petaluma, CA 94952 is EV Trip Planner

• Distance 3,443.1 miles
  • Driving Time 52:59
  • Charging Time 22:34
  • Total Trip Time 75:34
There is an inconvenient detour around Harrisburg that would be sped up by using chademo once or twice or by Tesla building a supercharger in that region but the rest of the trip is pretty tame. The Harrisburg supercharger is in construction and should be done before the end of this month.

Miami, FL to Petaluma, CA is EV Trip Planner

• Distance 3,292.2 miles
  • Driving Time 49:16
  • Charging Time 23:17
  • Total Trip Time 72:33
Takes you up from Texas to Oklahoma instead of taking a more direct route but still a nice comfortable trip.

Bangor, Maine to Petaluma, CA is EV Trip Planner

• Distance 3,567.6 miles
  • Driving Time 55:39
  • Charging Time 23:50
  • Total Trip Time 79:29
Gotta have your passport handy for crossing in and out of Canada or wait for the Harrisburg, PA supercharger to open up and take the southern route.

You might argue that Massachusetts and Maine aren't that far apart but just eyballing a reasonable couple of far eastern points to start from they both stood out to me.

I'm just going to put this out there for convenience/planning sake.
It won't be finished THIS weekend, for sure (4/16-17). It may be finished NEXT weekend (4/23-24) but we probably won't know that until very close to the weekend, so trying to coordinate a ribbon-cutting could be problematic.
It should be finished by THE FOLLOWING weekend (4/30-5/1) as even Tesla's supercharger team said so according to someone up-thread. And, we'll have the benefit of the next few weeks that pass to lock that in.
Want to tentatively drop 4/30 at noon on the calendar for a proposed grand-opening? We can meet, cut some ribbon and go over to the Texas Roadhouse for food/social? I say Texas as that looks like the best near food option but I defer to any locals with a better suggestion. I picked 4/30 for selfish reasons as I'll be coming through town that day anyway so it'll save me a trip, but I ought to be able to do 5/1 also if that's better for the majority.
Weigh-in while you're waiting for the next batch of pix :) And speaking of which, can someone get a closer shot of those pole transformers? It looks like there's an extra smaller can that's not part of either the Allentown or Tannersville installations. Thanks in advance.

Hmm. Harrisburg is only a couple hours away.

If you all do decide to do something on the 30th I might just have to drive over - assuming a long time Volt owner who hasn't ordered a Tesla yet because he can't get answers about when a CPO AP car might be available is welcome... :)
Walter

These pictures were posted on April 10th on the Tesla Forum by cchost. I have his permission to repost here.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Note the concrete box on the far side of the wooden forms. That is a transformer pad. I do not think the cans on the pole are for servicing the Supercharger.

Reactions: InTheShadows
Still working on the right side. Guys were messing with the cabling/wiring coming off of the right pole. I feel awkward getting up close and taking pictures while they're working. I prefer the spy approach. I'll try to go after work soon and get some up close pictures of the transformer. Not sure if this means anything but the wiring comes directly off the transformer to the pole on the right.
View media item 114708View media item 114707View media item 114706View media item 114705

Reactions: Hodginator
I think there might be 12 stalls here, not 10 like I originally thought. Look at the Google Maps photo. There are 5 stalls on the left and space for 7 on the right before the next concrete divider. Time will tell.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-04-14 at 2.44.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-04-14 at 2.44.54 PM.png
    340.7 KB · Views: 70
Not sure if this means anything but the wiring comes directly off the transformer to the pole on the right.

The transformers on the pole have secondary's feeding the building, they are not for the Supercharger.
The new pole to the left will probably feed the new transformer which will be placed on that concrete box next to it. The wire coming across to the pole on the right is the high voltage primary.

Thank you for the frequent pictorial updates, it is nice to see the work progressing!