Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Kearny/Harrison, NJ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was sitting at the supercharger. An SUV pulls up right by my car. Two women come out, motion to me. I wave no. They do it again, so I roll down the window 2 inches. They start asking about the car, I explain to them that it's electric, etc. They then ask how I get in the car, I say it's a key fob. Then then begin to push on the door handles, one of them goes around and pushes on the passenger side. (Car is locked). I roll up the window, she tries to put her hand but couldn't. They they jump in their car and drive off.

I did file a police report. Who knows. But right now I'm not really comfortable going to that location after dark.

That sounds pretty scary. Glad nothing happened and no damages to your car. That Wawa is a 24/7 location though and usually pretty brightly lit as well, was there no attendant there at the time?

Just curious ... this is New Jersey. Do you have to sit in your car and wait for a guy wearing a "T" Tesla uniform to plug in your car?

OMG.. you stole my thunder!! :D:)

I stopped here a couple of hours ago and was going to make this exact same joke. I was going to post:

"I pulled in to this SC location today -- I really like how it's laid out in a big "L" fashion... but I waited for like 10 minutes for the attendant to come plug in my car.. WTAF?"

Only 2 chargers (4 stalls) working right now. The other spaces are blocked by cones. Seems like someone from Tesla with CA plates is working on some of the supercharger cabinets. He actually asked me to move stalls so he could shut off the one I was at. Seems early for needing a repair. Hopefully it’s an upgrade.

You didn’t ask him for a status update on Parsippany or Rockaway??

Edit: Never mind, @GreenDarren has given an update in the respective threads.

Last edited:
I was sitting at the supercharger. An SUV pulls up right by my car. Two women come out, motion to me. I wave no. They do it again, so I roll down the window 2 inches. They start asking about the car, I explain to them that it's electric, etc. They then ask how I get in the car, I say it's a key fob. Then then begin to push on the door handles, one of them goes around and pushes on the passenger side. (Car is locked). I roll up the window, she tries to put her hand but couldn't. They they jump in their car and drive off.

I did file a police report. Who knows. But right now I'm not really comfortable going to that location after dark.

Oh wow.. I live close to this location and think Harrison/Kearny should be much safer than some areas nearby. Never thought this could happen here. Looks like I have to be more careful charging at this location from now on. :)

Drove here today (3/26/2019) to check it out and to compare it with the urban chargers in the Jersey City Newport Centre mall.

First off: super easy in/out access. Much better than dealing with the mall maniacs that drive somewhat recklessly looking for spots. Every time I go to Newport (which is weekly) I leave the car always worried about the possibility of a distracted driver clipping me, as connected cars do stick out into the car lane, which runs perpendicular to the parked Teslas.

Charging performance: not as good as expected. Stuck at 80 kW for a good while, then it made its way up to 90kW after 10-15 minutes, where it remained for a short while, and then it started to drop off fast. Quite honestly, the performance is bad. About the same or worse than the urban chargers in Jersey City.

Amenities: there’s Wawa, which is always good for coffee or a hoagie (if that's your thing) and there is a large Walmart (in case you need groceries and don’t mind slumming it) and a Taco Bell across the street. There’s free WiFi from Wawa (good performance!) and a smattering off stores in a tiny strip mall across the street.

Overal, decent place, but I will likely stick to the Newport Centre mall chargers. I rather have the option of having restaurants and shops or the mall WiFi.

• Informative
Reactions: KerryOH
Decided to give this place a second chance to validate, or refute, the previous experience. Alas, it was all the same: the charging rate was maddeningly slow (topping out somewhere between 80 and 90 kW) and it took a full hour to get 172 miles (arrived with 38 and left with 210.) So, the overall performance is only nominally better than the urban chargers at the Newport mall. Not sure I’ll be back here, unless the girlfriend has a craving for some Wawa goodies. ;)

I stopped there yesterday since I was in the area and the performance was really slow. It was only pushing out 60-70kwh.
I did notice that there was construction directly behind the Superchargers in the Walmart lot, of another charging setup. Could possibly be the PSEG chargers that I hav seen on the NJ TPK.

I stopped there yesterday since I was in the area and the performance was really slow. It was only pushing out 60-70kwh.
I did notice that there was construction directly behind the Superchargers in the Walmart lot, of another charging setup. Could possibly be the PSEG chargers that I hav seen on the NJ TPK.
What was your % state of charge? You'll only see the max kW when your battery is below 45% charged. It drops to about 60 kW when you are 80% charged.
Faster Tesla Supercharging - How does it actually perform?

• Informative
Reactions: zhu- and XHabjab

Did you use on the on-route battery warmup? I come here often and almost always hit 120-145kwh

QwDv0D8.jpg