Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Kirkwood, NY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just saw this from MarcoRP on Twitter. I’m so happy about this site. There was a huge gap for V3 charging between Tully and Tannersville.
There's an even bigger V3 gap along I-81 at the moment, essentially from Tully NY to Hagerstown MD. (Mechanicsburg PA is an option but pretty far from 81.) Kirkwood NY and Wilkes-Barre PA will both help in that regard.

• Informative
Reactions: BagheeraNY
Kirkwood, NY

Host Type: Grocery Store
Host: Schneider's Market
Along Primary Interstates: I-81, I-86E
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-11
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

I-81

To: Binghamton, NY (v2) - 8.5 miles
Diversion: 2 miles
From: Wilkes-Barre Township, PA - 73.9 miles (Construction)
To: Tully, NY - 59.8 miles

I-86E

To: End (NY79 at Windsor, NY) - 9.7 miles
Diversion: 1 miles

US-11

To: Binghamton, NY (v2) - 9 miles
Diversion: 0.5 miles
From: Wilkes-Barre Township, PA - 78.3 miles (Construction)
To: Tully, NY - 62.3 miles

V3 on I-81 and I-86E. Also on US-11.

Even though it is in a good spot, and close to the highway, I'll probably stick with Binghamton (which is sometimes overcrowded, so I can see this). Why? It is the 1/2 way (well 1/3-2/3) point in my trips to Rochester (from Queens) and has a good diner to fuel and take care of the human exhaust... (was there both Friday and Yesterday)

With this site dropping off the Tesla Find Us page, I was expecting an empty parking lot, but was pleased to see this. I asked an employee and they weren’t sure on the timeline for completion. Very easy on/off I-81, will be great to have online.
IMG_8889.jpeg
IMG_8890.jpeg

The problem of course is that the Bing charger has The Spot, where this one doesn't - restrooms and food make a big difference IMHO
This will be my go to stop - quicker on and off I-81, food/restrooms at the Schneider's Market if needed and (depending on the vehicle) quicker charing too. That said, the original Binghamton supercharger is great as well for the reasons you mentioned. The Spot is ideal if you want a complete meal and I just saw that a new Byrne Dairy location opened up close by to the Binghamton Supercharger as well!

Wow! I guess we can expect to see it pop up on the Tesla page again soon. I've never seen one get deleted despite construction efforts being underway. Ha!

My guess is it will be online by Thanksgiving.
You must be new here. :p

Good guess for Thanksgiving. They normally have a rush of openings around then. I assume it's just the way they set up the contracts and schedule things with the utility. Of course, with some of the general transformer supply problems, it could be held up.

• Informative
You must be new here. :p

Good guess for Thanksgiving. They normally have a rush of openings around then. I assume it's just the way they set up the contracts and schedule things with the utility. Of course, with some of the general transformer supply problems, it could be held up.
True - if NYSEG can't get the transformer there, it's just going to be stagnant... The Electrify America station in Kirkwood sat for a few months before a transformer showed up IIRC.

• Informative
True - if NYSEG can't get the transformer there, it's just going to be stagnant... The Electrify America station in Kirkwood sat for a few months before a transformer showed up IIRC.
Maybe, but Tesla is much better than EA and other networks in scheduling their equipment to arrive on site closer to the arrival of a transformer, rather than months or years in advance. If the transformer wasn't due to arrive for another 6 months, Tesla would just deploy that equipment to another site. EA, on the other hand seems to order their equipment from the manufacturer to be shipped to the site at the same time they request the service drop/transformer without the possibility to redeploy to other sites that are ready. That's the kind of difference you see between a company that's installed several thousand sites over 10+ years versus a company just getting started that's being forced to spend a few $billion each year, regardless of whether the utilities are ready for them or not.