Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Lake Charles, LA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
09_iOS.jpg
11_iOS.jpg
42_iOS.jpg

Oh yeah. Seeing these full-size reminded me of a small curiosity.
A week ago, the 5th and 6th QC (Quiddich Connectors) were without wiring hooked up, because (according to my contact) of the 3rd-cabinet delay. I told him that puzzled me, because I thought usually Tesla does not place a charger's A/B pair next to each other. He did not know about cabinet A/B pairing, but said that TM is very detailed in the conduit routing instructions and their instructions were followed.
I have to deduce that the Tesla crew is who applies the "1A 1B 2A 2B" labels during commissioning, and that we won't know for sure until then.

I would love to hear from those more schooled in charger "pair mixology." Why are they usually mixed out of sequence? Or am I imagining this and it's not a standard either way? Am I as obsessed as I sound to myself right now? :biggrin:

Rick

Edited to add: Looks like it does occur; I saw this on the Denver thread:
Looks like the pairs stalls (1A/1B, 2A/2B, etc) are next to each other. Tesla should make up its mind on these layouts.

Last edited:
SW2Fiddler said:
I have to deduce that the Tesla crew is who applies the "1A 1B 2A 2B" labels during commissioning, and that we won't know for sure until then.

I would love to hear from those more schooled in charger "pair mixology." Why are they usually mixed out of sequence? Or am I imagining this and it's not a standard either way? Am I as obsessed as I sound to myself right now? :biggrin:

Rick
I've seen it done both ways. There doesn't seem to be a standard. That's why you have to look at the labels at each supercharger station-- you can't assume how the pairing works.

Edited to add: Looks like it does occur; I saw this on the Denver thread:

I'm thinking the charging pairs should be adjacent to each other (i.e., the 2 pedestals coming off the same charger should be adjacent to each other). My reasoning is that when you pull into a supercharger that is not full you are likely to leave an empty space between you and the car next to you (reducing the likely hood of door dings, etc.). This would mean that if 3 cars pull into a 6 stall station and everyone left a space between them and the next car they would all be on separate chargers and getting full current.

Mike

I'm thinking the charging pairs should be adjacent to each other (i.e., the 2 pedestals coming off the same charger should be adjacent to each other). My reasoning is that...

There are often two designated "ICEing allowed" spots marked by "General Parking..." (instead of "EV Parking") signs. If it makes sense to put the ICE stalls next to another, it's better to separate the pairs so all the cabinets can still be used when the "General Parking" spots are indeed ICEd.

I suppose a call to Sonic or to Buffalo Wild Wings after sunset could go something like:
"Hi, would you mind looking out the window at the Tesla stalls and tell me if they are glowing red?"

LOL. I thought it was your turn to check on them this weekend...

Since it appears delivery of my P85D has been delayed, I'm still optimistic they will be operational by the time I have to make the round trip to Houston.

Mike