Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Lake Charles, LA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is wrong with people in Lake Charles? I have seen other EV chargers iced, but this is a first for a Supercharger. I have used Superchargers all across the nation and some in Canada.

Attachments

• WP_20160811_18_25_04_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160811_18_25_04_Pro.jpg
    332.4 KB · Views: 227
. Me thinks 6 spots will not be enough very soon along I-10.

Wow. I know I have been lucky here in Texas that I have NEVER been at a location with more than 50% of the stalls occupied. Truthfully, when jaunting to Florida, the same has held true. California would only dream of being so lucky.

I guess the idle tax (idle fee) will help with this to some degree, but don't expect results immediately, as it is my understanding that the tax will be levied during the next service center visit ... whenever that would be.

Wow. I know I have been lucky here in Texas that I have NEVER been at a location with more than 50% of the stalls occupied. Truthfully, when jaunting to Florida, the same has held true. California would only dream of being so lucky.

I guess the idle tax (idle fee) will help with this to some degree, but don't expect results immediately, as it is my understanding that the tax will be levied during the next service center visit ... whenever that would be.

Thing is, this was not abuse - I believe everyone was actively getting the charge they needed to travel. I know the X was because when I plugged in to the shared charger I only got 35kW so he was sucking up the juice. Once a second one pulled out I moved to an unshared charger and got an amazing charge rate (115kW) for a much longer time than I ever did on my P85D.

It was a busy travel day. The traffic was very heavy along I-10 the whole way from Houston to New Orleans. The X had temporary Georgia tags and most of the rest were Texas tags.

Mike

On my way back from Houston to New Orleans this afternoon in the new Model S and pulled in to find I was the the 5th Tesla at the 6 stall Lake Charles location (!). Me thinks 6 spots will not be enough very soon along I-10.

Snapped this shot after one had left.

View attachment 208368
Hopefully they'll put a charger in Beaumont, which appears to be on the 2017 map. Lafayette would be great just for more options.

Good morning. I just happen to drive by the superchargers yesterday evening and noticed it was well iced. I live near by and when I was looking at the NAV, it mention 2 stalls were being used. I thought oh, a great time to meet some Tesla owners since I'm new to the family. Here's what was parked there. Interesting enough how the nav knew there were someone parked there. So, now the question is, what is the best approach to report such behavior? Now granted, the parking lot across was packed but still, there was plenty of parking left.

20170914_191936.jpg 20170914_191656.jpg 20170914_191647.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: TexasDuke
Good morning. I just happen to drive by the superchargers yesterday evening and noticed it was well iced. I live near by and when I was looking at the NAV, it mention 2 stalls were being used. I thought oh, a great time to meet some Tesla owners since I'm new to the family. Here's what was parked there. Interesting enough how the nav knew there were someone parked there. So, now the question is, what is the best approach to report such behavior? Now granted, the parking lot across was packed but still, there was plenty of parking left.

View attachment 247779 View attachment 247780 View attachment 247781
the nav might have been reporting cars that were there, the system is far from being accurate or fool proof.

Elevation 10 ft. Cabinets might be slightly elevated at 12 ft. or so. We'll see if this one survives the surge. It's a 203 mile gap between Channelview and Lafayette so this one remains fairly essential.

Roads being impassable due to storm surges and 12" to 20" of rainfall sort of preclude even making it to these Superchargers, much less possibly continuing their journey.
Operational or not, I suspect getting there will be the more daunting task.

From reports of weather I have been watching, my conclusion is Parts of US-10 will probably be under water, maybe for days.

North Texas hotels currently are filling up with people fleeing the LA and TX Gulf Coast areas.

Stay tuned for landfall.