Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Lake Delton, WI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe by next summer the Bucees planned for DeForest will be open, that would only be 35 miles away and was planned to have a 20 stall supercharger.
While it helps, it does not solve the problem. I argued and fought with Tesla back in 2013, BIG TIME, to put the supercharger in the Dells instead o Mauston. They would not. It cost Tesla a lot of $$$ (free supercharging) as people would drive past the dells, go to mauston, charge, then go back to the dells, then go back to mauston, charge again to go home effectively wasting 40+ miles worth of power. In-Route, yes it's nice, especially for travelers trying to PASS the Dells. But it does not solve the problem of people staying IN the dells. Planning needs to be done for the Long Term.

We were one of the first Destination Charging Locations in the world ( www.SandriftResort.com ) and were the FIRST Hotel/Motel/Resort in the state of Wisconsin to have Dedicated EV charging (not just a random outlet) since 2003 (Long time supporter!). Even with Mauston so close, Madison relatively close as well at ~45-ish miles, Our HPWC's were so busy, we'd actually need to take Reservations or them. Since the supercharger opened, demand for the HPWC's has dropped significantly of course, however, we still get a lot of people charging by us. The number of cars is exploding. Even 2 years ago, I'd see, maybe 1-3 Tesla's/Day driving around during the summer here (I'm not counting Locals with Teslas). This summer, Just driving from one end of the Dells to the other, I can usually spot 10, sometimes MORE in one single drive. Couple that with the fact Tesla is opening the network to the other brands.
Living and owning a business in the Dells, I see what Travelers & Tourists Don't. The V3 we got is great from the day after Labor day, until the day before Automotion Car Show end of May. But From Automotion/Memorial Day through Laborday, that V3 is HAMMERED during the day. Couple that with tourists with Bike Racks and trailers parking like absolute crap blocking multiple stalls (Very Frequent here), More Charging is 100% necessary.

Tesla tried the Destination Charging thing in the Dells. It did not go as well as they had hoped .

Last edited:
Just some action shots :cool: and one example of a MAJOR EV-hole. They didn't even stay with the vehicle. We measured with a Tape Measure, it would have fit if backed in.

Attachments

• IMG_8472.jpg
    IMG_8472.jpg
    532.3 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0699.jpg
    IMG_0699.jpg
    318.2 KB · Views: 30
While it helps, it does not solve the problem...
I suspect it will help quite a bit, if it happens. For folks going between Chicagoland or Milwaukee and the Twin Cities LD is an obvious stop right now - Mauston is 6 stalls @ 125kW max and the newer Madison locations are well off the interstate. DeForest would be a near perfect splitter between Tomah and Rockford.

Reactions: VikH
I suspect it will help quite a bit, if it happens. For folks going between Chicagoland or Milwaukee and the Twin Cities LD is an obvious stop right now - Mauston is 6 stalls @ 125kW max and the newer Madison locations are well off the interstate. DeForest would be a near perfect splitter between Tomah and Rockford.
I will admit, it will definitely help when I need to move my 24ft cargo trailer back and fourth from Milwaukee to Dells and Back. If I'm lucky, 75 miles at 100% charge, and thats at 45mph on county highways. I dread what it will be on the freeway. I'd need a 100% in Johnson Creek, 100% in Madison, and about a 80% in Deforest to make it without risk of getting stuck.

We use this charger almost every time we make the trek from IL to MN. It's a really great stop. Luckily we've never had to wait, but that's probably because of how we plan our drives. I'll usually let my daughter get a shake from the Culver's if we don't just get food there. Great location!

Reactions: islandbayy
@islandbayy Thank you for being an early supporter of EV owning customers at your local business. That really helps. Although I live nearby, I do look for hotels with L2 charging when on road trips, regardless of proximity to a Supercharger. It’s nice to just get up and go after an overnight charge.
Very Welcome! also, I agree 100% So convenient! Even 120v is better than nothing!

We use this charger almost every time we make the trek from IL to MN. It's a really great stop. Luckily we've never had to wait, but that's probably because of how we plan our drives. I'll usually let my daughter get a shake from the Culver's if we don't just get food there. Great location!
I'm pretty sure I was the only one of the seven or eight SC users that did not get any food at Culvers while charging. This was a busy SC, for sure, and I agree that there should be another SC built up there somewhere. DeForest might help when it is completed, but the Dells area is a big destination all summer long. I was charging in late September and I almost wasn't able to grab a spot. I can't imagine how long a wait it might have been anytime in mid-summer vacation time, much less near or on Labor Day. Can't believe Tesla waited until 2022 for this one.