Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Las Vegas, NM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am charging at Trinidad right this moment. Itexists. Very shiny and new. Onepull-forward space, and five back-in spaces. Getting 368mi/hr. Wendys snd Shell Food Mart on premises. Guy inFood Mart said it opened last week. Dunno,maybe Iam first to charge?

Photos later when I'm home.

By the way, stopped at Las Vegas NM and the crew was there and they're well underwsy with consttuction of the chargers there.

Cross post from Trinidad SC thread. Las Vegas construction has started?

Las Vegas NM construction has indeed started. It's well underway, in fact. I stopped by today on my way to doing a photo recon mission for Trinidad, CO. You can see the Trinidad recon report starting here.

Some photos:

If you look carefully to left of the tree, there are some construction workers in a pit. They told me that there's been a ton of rain in LV NM of late, and the pit and the trenches all filled with water, and that shut down construction work for a while. Thankfully the rain is gone for a bit, and they're back at it.
tsc-lvnm02.png

Note how the charging spaces are located right near the registration / welcome area of the hotel. You know what this means. Imagine in a few months from now. Tired travelers pulling in to check in, not caring about any sign, just wanna get out of the car, stretch legs, go to bathroom, etc., and so they just pull right in to the supercharger spots. Oh, this is going to be one big ICEfest you just know it.
tsc-lvnm03.png

All the equipment seems to be there.
tsc-lvnm04.png

The crew were on site, working away. They estimated 2 more weeks, but then PNM, the local power company, has to dig a 100+ yard trench and run the big power line to a transformer that will be situated closer to freeway. Why I have no idea.
tsc-lvnm05.png

The view from the freeway. A lot of progress since last time I was here.
tsc-lvnm08.png

One more shot:
tsc-lvnm09.png

Last edited:
WOW... that's an even worse location than Gallup; Why.... why do they keep putting these >1 mile from food? Well.... I need to charge for ~40min... guess I'll go.... Guess I'll just sit here and wait :cursing:

Wasn't the idea to stop, charge and get a bite to eat? There must have been an unspoken '...walk a mile...' in there somewhere...

Is is easier to get permits at a hotel? What's the deal?

WOW... that's an even worse location than Gallup; Why.... why do they keep putting these >1 mile from food? Well.... I need to charge for ~40min... guess I'll go.... Guess I'll just sit here and wait :cursing:

Wasn't the idea to stop, charge and get a bite to eat? There must have been an unspoken '...walk a mile...' in there somewhere...

It is odd. I spoke with two hotel employees who were hanging out near the construction site. One told me that Tesla had approached the Comfort Inn's owner to see about the hotel being a Supercharger site, and the owner was all enthusiastic and agreed to the deal. I have no facts, just a guess, but it wouldn't surprise me if the owner proposed to situate the charging stalls right in front of the hotel, for bragging rights / show-off purposes.

But yeah I agree, there is no food or other services nearby. It's a hotel stop. All the food and stuff is down the road.

And yeah, it'll probably be like Gallup. Which means: ICEing. Gallup is awful for ICE infestation. Big Texas pickup trucks, backed in to charging spots. Infuriating.

Maybe because:
(a) the site is right by an Intersection
(b) they're paying a very small rent
?

I guess people will be eating pizza delivered to the Comfort Inn lobby. Don't forget to call ahead.

Last edited:
There must be at least some food service there, if not a restaurant: the Comfort Inn sign reads "Now Serving Hot Breakfast Sausage and Eggs," among other things. Maybe you just need to time your trip to show up during the hours they're serving the continental breakfast.:biggrin:

Alternatively, since it's exactly 124 miles to both ABQ and Trinidad SCs (but you've got to cross Raton Pass south of Trinidad), you shouldn't need to stop for all that long in Las Vegas if you charge to well in excess of what you need in either of the other two.

Last edited:
Looking at the satellite image, the Comfort Inn is a much larger hotel than the nearby hotels near Mountain View Dr. and North Grand. The Comfort Inn has a huge truck area about the same size as the entire hotel and auto parking area on the south side. Parking appears extensive near the rooms so any icing may only occur during peak arrival or departure times. The proximity of the lobby will be handy for a quick bathroom stop and for the desk manager to help if icing is an issue. On the down side is another truck park on the north side that will create some truck traffic in front of the chargers. Should be better than Needles, CA where truck stop traffic is 24/7. Note that the train tracks are much closer than the hotels about a half mile to the south.

If you enjoy Mexican food, you could walk about .6 mile (12 minutes) to Pino's Family Restaurant at 2221 N Grand Ave near the Super 8. The 4 lane highway does NOT have sidewalks where safety would be a concern. There are good food reviews on Yelp: Yelp Captcha

The Alta Vista Regional Hospital a bit closer to the Comfort Inn and has a cafeteria that is open only for lunch from 11 to 1 PM. Same lack of sidewalk safety concerns as the walk to Pinto's.

Most of the fast food locations appear to be two miles away. A Wal-Mart Supercenter is 1.5 miles away. I agree with others to plan ahead to get your food before your charger stop to optimize your travel time.

Hopefully the Comfort Inn will offer coffee to the Tesla folks as occurs at the Gallup Supercharger. That Hampton Inn has the friendliest staff and rolls out the red carpet to the Tesla drivers. Always a pleasure to charge there and skip dining for that one stop. Their hospitality makes me want to plan an overnight stay. That is the attitude that every "hotel only" location needs to have!

Last edited:
Yeah it's the kind of town where all the usual food/gas places are away from the freeway. If you're coming from the south, best thing to do is get off on the exit with all the signs for McDonalds etc... then of course they pull a gotcha when another set of signs for the fast food and gas stops, but with numbers and mileage underneath each logo...

The Comfort Inn is at the extreme north of the LVNM area, basically the last piece of civilization before you get back on the freeway and back to the boonies. There does seem to be a nice town area but I didn't venture into it.

But once you're at the Comfort Inn it's basically all there is.

The Comfort Inn is at the extreme north of the LVNM area, basically the last piece of civilization before you get back on the freeway and back to the boonies.
Having made the voyage both directions through Northern New Mexico plenty of times over the past decade (though not yet in my Model S), this is pretty much the best description I've ever seen.

After our first official meeting Tesla owners of NM, I headed over to Las Vegas to checkout the site. Here is what I found.
LasVegasNM_SC_stalls_all_cropped.jpg

There are six charging stalls with their assigned parking cones :).
LasVegasNM_SC_stalls_unique.jpg

All looks standard except for the last stall. And note the "Telsa Vehicle charging Only" sign - no time limit!
LasVegasNM_SC_300KVA_transformer_front.jpg

As far as supplying power to the super charger, here is the standard 300 KVA transformer.
LasVegasNM_SC_300KVA_transformer_side_no_meter.jpg

But alas, there is still no meter installed.

I talked to Andrea at the front desk and she said that PNM came out last week but doesn't know when they will be out again install the meter.
Based on what I am seeing I think "tinm" is correct about the September timeline.

As a side note Andrea had not seen a Tesla before, so I gave her and co-worker the 5 cent tour. The where wowed by the experience and are looking forward to getting one in the future. Andrea is currently studying to become an Registered Nurse. She's got plans. Best wishes to her.

That 300 kVA transformer would seem to seriously limit charging when more than two slots are full - 6 slots with 135 kW max shared between two, and 120kW max. for one. That's a theoretical max. draw of 405kW, or 360 kW with three A or B slots. I guess they aren't expecting all that much traffic, or else that's all the distribution network could handle.

Thanks for the update and pictures, @Berkut!

Anybody want to make a friendly wager on which SC will be open first, Albuquerque or Las Vegas, NM? I'd pick Las Vegas, all things considered.

Just left Las Vegas
The meter is in , transformer is humming! Pluged in but still not active.. Hopefully soon. Going to have to head to Albuquerque next to check the status on that one.

20150904_103111.jpg
20150904_103122.jpg