Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Laurel, MD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on my experience, it takes about 15-20 minutes to get from I95 to the mall where the Superchargers will be located. With traffic (such as during the holidays), it will be much longer. Then, add the time to get out of the mall and back on the highway. I'm glad to hear they are building a site in Laurel, Maryland, but for me, I'll skip this location (unless I want to get a meal) and charge at the Newark Supercharger in Delaware. For the same detour time reason (that is, the time it takes to get off the highway and get to the charging location and then back to the highway), I prefer to do a full range charge and skip the Woodbridge, VA location and instead charge at Glen Allen, Virginia.

This will be the route to take from SB 95 to the Laurel SC. Six minutes in no traffic.

SBramp.png

Google Maps

Lanny

This will be the route to take from SB 95 to the Laurel SC. Six minutes in no traffic.

View attachment 104916

Google Maps

Lanny

I would not take that route to the charger from 95. The right turn on 10th street takes you through the residential neighborhood. Make the right on Van Dusen then left on Cherry lane, then left into the town center. Be careful of the speed camera on Cherry Lane.

I've lived and shopped on this northwest side of PG county for 17 years. Never had any problems and would not expect any as this part of the county improves and gets built out with new homes and shopping areas.

Our 3rd real supercharger - we have Hagerstown and Salisbury, too. Check events section of the forum to see pix of last year's Roadtrip - we had over 60 Teslas (including Roadsters!) at Salisbury SC for the night, and then paraded on the boardwalk in OC.

CatB,

Have you met loganss? He's an early Tesla owner in Maryland and has been to lots of local Tesla events over the years. He and his family were in the boardwalk parade in OC, just four cars behind you. :) He's a great guy!

Lanny

Last edited:
This looks like a great location to me, lots of stuff to do while waiting, and it effectively acts like a duplicate for newark! Even if its a little more off the beaten path it should still make a good alternate, if you're in a hurry you can do Newark, but if you want a little more stuff to do while you're waiting you can go to Laurel.

Our 3rd real supercharger - we have Hagerstown and Salisbury, too. Check events section of the forum to see pix of last year's Roadtrip - we had over 60 Teslas (including Roadsters!) at Salisbury SC for the night, and then paraded on the boardwalk in OC.

Lol I probably got so excited that there is one between DC & Baltimore and closer to me that I didn't think about those. :biggrin:

I can't wait for the supercharger void in the middle of PA to be filled.

That is good news. It doesn't help me a whole lot--from the Jersey suburbs its a 200+ mile run, which means it's a bit of a risk even in an 85, especially in the winter--but I do hope it will relieve some of the burden on Newark. At the same time, I can see a lot of folks being tempted to bypass this one in favor of Newark, since access from the highway in Delaware is so much easier.

Would very much like to see one in White Marsh or similar at some point.

One google review of this place says "Impossible parking and traffic. I can get to the adjacent Laurel Shopping Center, make a purchase and get back home within 20 minutes. Took over an hour at Towne Centre. I can't imagine what it will be like between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Not enough parking. Gridlock getting in and out from Cherry Lane or Route 1. When the theaters open, it should get worse." https://www.google.com/search?q=Towne+Centre+at+Laurel,+Laurel,+MD+20726

Also, the developers called this place "Laurel Towne Centre" -- Any place in the US called "Towne Centre" is bound to be pathetic.

Last edited:
I lived in one of the high rises across 4th street. The trek from I-95 is not that far, but sometimes 'traffic tedious'. Definitely use Cherry Lane (watch speed camera and school zone).
Crime? Not bad for the DC area - this is the northern edge of PG county, touching Anne Arundel and Montgomery Counties. The figures listed by Xeno are closer to the southern part - PG county goes south, surrounding the east side of DC and to the Potomac river.
This mall and the adjoining mall are known for the scene of the Gov George Wallace shooting.

Hopefully Tesla mapping will give accurate directions. For drivers heading up 95N you will need to get into the local lanes at the exit for the ICC (Rt 200) about 3 miles prior to the exit for 198. In addition, there are many alternatives that will provide shorter mileage (and maybe time) depending on the traffic on 95. From the south, a option would be to exit north on the BW parkway from the DC beltway and take the exit onto 197 (about 4 miles shorter than following I95). From the north, again taking the BW parkway south from the Baltimore beltway and exiting onto 198 will be about 3 miles shorter.

I lived in one of the high rises across 4th street. The trek from I-95 is not that far, but sometimes 'traffic tedious'. Definitely use Cherry Lane (watch speed camera and school zone).
Crime? Not bad for the DC area - this is the northern edge of PG county, touching Anne Arundel and Montgomery Counties. The figures listed by Xeno are closer to the southern part - PG county goes south, surrounding the east side of DC and to the Potomac river.
This mall and the adjoining mall are known for the scene of the Gov George Wallace shooting.

Not sure if you've been to the area in the last 2 years, but the indoor mall is gone and it's now an open air town center. The old Laurel Shopping center is still next door with the same sign from ~1956.