Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

supercharger locations I-95? crapola

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Crappy is such a ...flexible... word. I'm not sure what you're trying to tell us here.

Are you saying that you're not happy with the amenities available at the stations that currently exist?

Or that you're getting low charge rates from the stations?

Or that you feel the gaps between them are too large?

Or that there are too many cars for the number fo stalls available?

It's been a while since I drove through there, but I did fine in my X75D a couple years ago.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Crappy is such a ...flexible... word. I'm not sure what you're trying to tell us here.

Are you saying that you're not happy with the amenities available at the stations that currently exist?

Or that you're getting low charge rates from the stations?

Or that you feel the gaps between them are too large?

Or that there are too many cars for the number fo stalls available?

It's been a while since I drove through there, but I did fine in my X75D a couple years ago.

so you're last trip through this route was b4 the Model 3's hit the road?

a few of the charger stops have 6 or less chargers

10 mins off the interstate

usually 2 - 3 of the chargers are not pulling anywhere close to supercharger rates......actually closer to level 2 charging. it's like a game or musical Tesla's going on as each driver is looking for the SUPER charger!!!!

the airport stations at the Georgia airport??? when there is a shopping factory outlet with tons of eating options right off the interstate.....

ya....it all sucks.. but I'll do it again, cuz I'm a sucker for punishment

• Disagree
Reactions: doghousePVD
The Savannah Airport SC in GA leaves something to be desired. Several of the SC's seem to have an issue and don't provide more than 20-25kW.

We were recently returning to FL from a Charlotte NC trip and we pulled up to find all SC's occupied. Several folks were in and out of their cars unplugging and plugging in their cars since they were having charging rate issues. As we waited, 2 more Teslas pulled in behind us. When the first spot opened up (after 15 minutes) we were getting less than 20kW (almost 4 hours estimate before we could continue our trip). Our battery had less than 50 miles range when we plugged in. After the 2 cars behind us eventually got to a charger, another Tesla finished charging and left. We moved to their spot and immediately starting seeing 80+ kW rates of charge and was able to leave after charging for 35 min or so. That location has always given us trouble with charging rates. Add in the fact that it's within a parking garage that requires you walk into the airport for ticket validation (to park for free while charging) and all food options close at something like 8 or 9 pm, and this location is far from ideal when making a long trip up I-95.

We were using our old P85 for this latest trip since the weather was suspect in Charlotte and our new Raven Model S only had Summer tires. Hoping to be able to bypass this location with the new car in the future. I would expect to see Tesla add a few more I-95 SC's in GA, SC and southern NC in the future, especially as Model 3 sales are taking off.

The Savannah Airport SC in GA leaves something to be desired. Several of the SC's seem to have an issue and don't provide more than 20-25kW.

We were recently returning to FL from a Charlotte NC trip and we pulled up to find all SC's occupied. Several folks were in and out of their cars unplugging and plugging in their cars since they were having charging rate issues. As we waited, 2 more Teslas pulled in behind us. When the first spot opened up (after 15 minutes) we were getting less than 20kW (almost 4 hours estimate before we could continue our trip). Our battery had less than 50 miles range when we plugged in. After the 2 cars behind us eventually got to a charger, another Tesla finished charging and left. We moved to their spot and immediately starting seeing 80+ kW rates of charge and was able to leave after charging for 35 min or so. That location has always given us trouble with charging rates. Add in the fact that it's within a parking garage that requires you walk into the airport for ticket validation (to park for free while charging) and all food options close at something like 8 or 9 pm, and this location is far from ideal when making a long trip up I-95.

We were using our old P85 for this latest trip since the weather was suspect in Charlotte and our new Raven Model S only had Summer tires. Hoping to be able to bypass this location with the new car in the future. I would expect to see Tesla add a few more I-95 SC's in GA, SC and southern NC in the future, especially as Model 3 sales are taking off.
The Savannah supercharger at the airport is really strange indeed. Having to pull in instead of back in is awkward. My rates have also been slow here.

Just an FYI I’ve never walked inside and got the ticket validated. I just leave and give the parking attendant the ticket and they ask if I was charging. No cost or issues.

• Informative
Reactions: gnxs
I thought with the final few SC in Maine, there were SC about every 120 miles the whole I-95 from S. Florida to Canada.

Last March I drove Maine to Miami, a lot on I-95, no problems, never had a full SC, always got a good, fast charge.

The Georgia stretch has two consecutive >100 mile gaps That's inflexible. Tesla's generally been filling in between those bigger gaps. Finding something between Santee, SC and Savannah, GA would be particularly helpful.

The Georgia stretch has two consecutive >100 mile gaps That's inflexible. Tesla's generally been filling in between those bigger gaps. Finding something between Santee, SC and Savannah, GA would be particularly helpful.

Your car has a range of (well) over 200 miles, and you are complaining about about a SC every 100 miles? It doesn't even snow in Georgia, so you could probably skip Savannah and go Santee to Kingsland non-stop if you are careful.

Reactions: Rocky_H
The Georgia stretch has two consecutive >100 mile gaps That's inflexible. Tesla's generally been filling in between those bigger gaps.
Your car has a range of (well) over 200 miles, and you are complaining about about a SC every 100 miles?
Um, yeah. We've still been waiting a few years for a couple of 250+ mile routes in eastern Oregon to get coverage. Cutting things down to even less than 100 miles elsewhere because they are "inflexible" would be pretty irritating.

Reactions: doghousePVD