Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Los Angeles CA - Francisco Street (LIVE 6 Mar 2019, Hotel Indigo, Valet Only!)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Tesla in-car nav and Find Us page info for this location should clearly state this is valet only and what the valet cost is!

I doubt that there are idle fees at this location. And again, this should be clearly stated.

I wonder if the hotel paid for this Supercharger. It’s not very useful to Tesla owners who aren’t staying at the hotel.

I agree that this location is DOA for 99%+ of Tesla owners. Only those who are desperate for a charge or already staying at the hotel will use this location. If you are passing through LA on a road trip (not sure why you'd come down the 110 instead of the 5 or 405) there are 3-4 free superchargers within 15 miles in each direction. For locals there are plenty of other options that are free. You'd have to fail at planning to need to use this location.

Also, $11 for 3 hours after validation is not a great deal. There are garages a couple blocks away that are $16 for all day with no validation required. The only time it would make sense to park here is if you were already going to visit DTLA and eat at the mediocre restaurant in the hotel lobby.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jay Massaro
Ah man. I saw this pop up on my map this morning and it's right near where I work. I finally get a supercharger downtown and now I'll never use it. Lame. It should absolutely be noted on the map that this is only accessible via paid valet. I'm guessing the hotel paid for and installed this charger which is why I don't remember ever seeing it on the Tesla map before (they list the planned superchargers on the map).

Reactions: MarcoRP
The Tesla in-car nav and Find Us page info for this location should clearly state this is valet only and what the valet cost is!

I doubt that there are idle fees at this location. And again, this should be clearly stated.

I wonder if the hotel paid for this Supercharger. It’s not very useful to Tesla owners who aren’t staying at the hotel.

i would assume this is a
Ah man. I saw this pop up on my map this morning and it's right near where I work. I finally get a supercharger downtown and now I'll never use it. Lame. It should absolutely be noted on the map that this is only accessible via paid valet. I'm guessing the hotel paid for and installed this charger which is why I don't remember ever seeing it on the Tesla map before (they list the

I think you’re correct. I looked at the supercharger info on my car’s navy and it does not indicate idling fees. That would suggest the hotel and not Tesla owns these 10 72 kWh chargers, and the valet could monitor the charge status.

I don’t recall ever seeing a similar arrangement before: non-Tesla owned superchargers showing up on the nav screen.

According to the hotel website, the least expensive room looks to be $255 a night before tax and license. It’s family close to the Staples Center and Microsoft Theatre, and basketball/concert goers often stay downtown (I have) after their event. It makes sense for Indigo Hotel to pay for these 10 72 kWh supercharges as a way of competing with other local hotels. Currently there seem to be 3 hotels with 1 or 2 destination chargers.

If the primary purpose was to attract hotel guests, why wouldn't they just install the much-cheaper HPWC and charge the cars overnight? Or a J1772 so they can include non-Tesla EVs. Unless they think they will be charging dozens of Tesla's every night it doesn't really make sense to make them superchargers.
Good question. Maybe they’re going after the many condo owners nearby who might stop for a quick bite in one of the restaurants.

Just spitballing here.

When asked if I could take a photo of them, the valet declined my request stating a liability with having customers walk into the valet only area. The in car nav and online website state very clearly though that these are 72kw max. Also, cars with pay per use supercharging state this location as $0.31/kwh which would be impossible for a destination charger to bill.

Any chance these are really destination chargers and just mislabeled/miscategorized as superchargers?

Did anyone actual use this yet or has anyone actually seen the charger?

Because this supercharger makes no sense.

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9
What a joke. I can’t believe Tesla did this. Makes no sense. What a waste.
It makes no sense to call this a waste when you don’t even know the details of the arrangement.
Maybe the hotel purchased these Superchargers, in which case tesla just made a quick buck while at the same time installing more charging options. And yes this is an option, maybe not the best option but it’s still there for those that want to use it.

Easy fix: don’t tip. The valet drivers work on tips. If they stop getting tips from Tesla’s that come to charge, they’ll eventually revolt against management and refuse to valet those cars. Perhaps they’ll have to make them self park/charge!

Read on Facebook that someone’s wife took her four YOUNG kids there to charge. They told her they all have to get out of the car and it’ll take 3 hours. She had to leave (and running low on juice!) because she had no ability to take 4 little
Kids around downtown LA by herself. This is a major fail on the part of Tesla. PLENTY of self park garages in downtown where this could go, not to mention flat surface lots!

I went there yesterday, I had a conference downtown, and needed a full charge before heading back to San Diego. I tried to life-hack it as well as possible: 1. stayed two hours to get full charge, 2. went at lunch time, with laptop. many good under-$15 food options at bar, and easy wifi hookup if you are IHG member. Talked to the valet for quite a long time. He quoted $11 an hour, and I had to tell him that he should also tell people "or $11 for three hours with validation". He told me that so far most Tesla owners have been very unhappy about the valet charge. Also that they have a club there that "goes off" every weekend and he wonders what is going to happen at those times when things are crazy crowded at valet stand. Either way, I tipped him cause it's not his fault that Tesla made this asinine decision. He said they have been warned not to expect it from Tesla owners. Either way, it was nice not having to wait in line like I always do at Culver City and I enjoyed having lunch and working at the Indigo bar for a couple hours.