Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Los Angeles CA - Francisco Street (LIVE 6 Mar 2019, Hotel Indigo, Valet Only!)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No doubt about it, this is no "mistake" on the part of Hotel Indigo in not revealing that this is valet and labeling it as a super charge. These guys are known for the bait and switch. Go on yelp and even before this, you'll see stories (especially recently) about false advertising online for room prices that weren't honored after people booked and arrived at the hotel, false charges or unexpected charges for things that would normally be free at a 4 star hotel. They are also being investigated by the FBI for bribery (and maybe fraud?). I've been a victim of them in the past, and recently I think they may have stolen my credit card info, though I'm still researching that, but either way, on the safe side, if you decide to go, pay with cash! Has anyone contacted Telsa about this? I would be curious to know what they have to say...

I contacted Tesla to complain yesterday. I told the person, please make a note of this.

Her attitude was that she will not make a note and that many charging garages charge their regular fee. Tesla puts up Superchargering stations where they get permits to do so.
Also, sat at the bar and only ordered a tea. I was not hungry and it was the kiddie of the afternoon. I felt bartender was very rude.

A lot of the anger expressed in this thread seems misguided. If you don't like the parking fee or using valet, then don't use this supercharger. Everyone is acting as though Tesla chose to put a supercharger here in lieu of putting a supercharger some place else when the reality is probably that the hotel came to them and wanted to put a supercharger in their valet area. From Tesla's perspective, they have a willing host property so why wouldn't they use it?

I do agree that this type of supercharger should be avoided by the navigation system, but that is a small bug that can be fixed easily (soon hopefully).

I agree that the customer service with Tesla is hit and miss. Compared to Apple who would be politely dismissing your problem as an issue with you.

Since it was only my third supercharger I tried going to, I didn’t even realize there was hotel in garage ones until now. It does say Valet only...but it was not promineny displayed with an icon, dollar sign next to it and you have to click on it to see that “Parking fees apply. Valet Only.”

Tesla has to somehow ramp up there customer service game though. Having also had a hard time myself with their reps with the Tesla service department and on a current solar install with them, it is clear that customer service is not on their list of priorities. I know that automation is coming and that they are fearful of losing their jobs, but still it should be their job, if they don’t like it they can find another one..

Moderator note: please stay on topic. The topic of this thread is the specific Supercharger at the Hotel Indigo. The topic is not Tesla customer service or Tesla Energy solar installs. Thank you.
I agree that the customer service with Tesla is hit and miss. Compared to Apple who would be politely dismissing your problem as an issue with you.

Since it was only my third supercharger I tried going to, I didn’t even realize there was hotel in garage ones until now. It does say Valet only...but it was not promineny displayed with an icon, dollar sign next to it and you have to click on it to see that “Parking fees apply. Valet Only.”

Tesla has to somehow ramp up there customer service game though. Having also had a hard time myself with their reps with the Tesla service department and on a current solar install with them, it is clear that customer service is not on their list of priorities. I know that automation is coming and that they are fearful of losing their jobs, but still it should be their job, if they don’t like it they can find another one..

I was there yesterday. Definitely not a travel charger. I hate going Downtown LA because of the traffic. The hotel is very nice if you have to stay in the downtown area for some reason.It's right by the Staples Center.
The valet people were very friendly and knowledgeable about charging and idle fees. But I agree it is basically a destination charger. It should be moved from the navigation screen as a supercharger and placed under destination chargers.
Unless you are staying at the hotel, do not go there! Every other alternative around Los Angeles is better.

• Informative
Reactions: Curb71
I was there yesterday. Definitely not a travel charger. I hate going Downtown LA because of the traffic. The hotel is very nice if you have to stay in the downtown area for some reason.It's right by the Staples Center.
The valet people were very friendly and knowledgeable about charging and idle fees. But I agree it is basically a destination charger. It should be moved from the navigation screen as a supercharger and placed under destination chargers.
Unless you are staying at the hotel, do not go there! Every other alternative around Los Angeles is better.
So it looks like idle fees don’t apply at this location? Valet would rack up a bunch of fees if so.
i saw that too. I wonder of Model 3 owners have to pay to charge. If no, this seems like a destination charger, except it charges at 72 kWh and shows up on the nav screen list as a supercharger.

One good thing is the spaces won’t be ICEd.

• Love
Reactions: Dangerous Fish
I believe they do, but I don't know for sure. The valet guy said it would. I was charging there for 5 minutes and left again.
Ok, now I'm imagining how the valet staff is scratching their heads over these Tesla weirdos who keep stopping by to have their cars plugged in for a brief few minutes and then leave, just so that they can add this particular location to their "Superchargers Visited" list. :D

• Funny
Reactions: bmah
It's not a destination charger. It's an urban supercharger.
I think they're aware of what type of actual hardware is installed. I believe they were talking more in terms of the usage case/philosophy or ConOps. That putting it behind the valet gate with such a high cost ($11 fee with validation; possibly more without validation, depending on length of stay) effectively turns it into the equivalent of a very high powered (72 kW) destination charger. Meaning for most people they'd only be interested in using it if they were already going to be going there and spending the money needed for validation anyway.

Well, you can't get a full charge at a destination charger while you eat lunch. So I don't see the point in lying about what is actually available. Instead of misrepresenting what type of supercharger it is, it should just be clearly labeled as valet only and pay parking as was suggested previously.

Reactions: Doug Martoccia
Better would be to put "(Valet)" in the title that displays on the nav like they do for the valet portion of the San Jose - Santana Row supercharger. It's adequate that they've put it in the details section when you click on it. And people visiting any supercharger for the first time should definitely be looking at the details before they actually show up there so that they know what to expect, but putting it in a more prominent and easily seen area would, IMO, avoid/reduce the level of angst. Sometimes, you've got to do a bit extra to help out your oblivious customers even when it's really their own responsibility to know something.

Reactions: ScottRoberts33
The cost can change any time. I
Well, you can't get a full charge at a destination charger while you eat lunch. So I don't see the point in lying about what is actually available. Instead of misrepresenting what type of supercharger it is, it should just be clearly labeled as valet only and pay parking as was suggested previously.

I don't know how Tesla's navigation picks superchargers on a trip, but I would be really upset if I was on a trip going through Los Angeles and the navigation would pick this charger as a planned stop. That's the concern when it's part of the supercharger list in the navigation. That's why I think it should not be in a list of chargers considered for a stop by the navigation system by default.

The cost can change any time. I

I don't know how Tesla's navigation picks superchargers on a trip, but I would be really upset if I was on a trip going through Los Angeles and the navigation would pick this charger as a planned stop. That's the concern when it's part of the supercharger list in the navigation. That's why I think it should not be in a list of chargers considered for a stop by the navigation system by default.
I agreed with that already up thread. But that doesn't mean I think it should be misrepresented as a HPWC.

It can be listed among superchargers with a giant flashing VALET ONLY warning without being included in the suggested supercharger stops with the Nav. I literally never let the Nav pick supercharger stops for me so this would have never been an issue for me anyway.

It can be listed among superchargers with a giant flashing VALET ONLY warning without being included in the suggested supercharger stops with the Nav. I literally never let the Nav pick supercharger stops for me so this would have never been an issue for me anyway.
Yes, because the navigation would only have a catastrophic breakdown because it doesn’t understand why you are rerouting to every single Supercharger there is!

I literally never let the Nav pick supercharger stops for me so this would have never been an issue for me anyway.

Same. I do an initial estimate letting the car do the entire route and then I pick my stops based on what I prefer (and sometimes makes more sense). 2/3 of the current Tesla owners are relatively new and inexperienced with longer road trips. They are most likely to follow the car's suggestion. I hope Tesla will give this location lowest priority when routing people through LA.

I cannot believe that no one has mentioned this is a block from The Pantry, breakfast while Supercharging! This is big!

That being said, I found it difficult to locate, not as bad as when the Nav says "Your destination is on the right" and it's to your left. Just difficult to find as you cannot see the chargers as you pass.
And people visiting any supercharger for the first time should definitely be looking at the details before they actually show up there so that they know what to expect
Heh, heh. Yeah. No. I just do what the car says to do. If it says it's time to continue my trip, I get on the road. Doesn't mean I haven't been screwed by the car a few times. Just not so bad as to need to read ahead. I will read it when I get to the parking structure and don't see any chargers, or like I did at Glendale, see chargers and assume they are for me but find no way to get into the Valet area.
Ok, now I'm imagining how the valet staff is scratching their heads over these Tesla weirdos who keep stopping by to have their cars plugged in for a brief few minutes and then leave, just so that they can add this particular location to their "Superchargers Visited" list. :D
Yeah, they were about as happy with me as I was with them yesterday:

"I just want to plug in for a few minutes so this charger shows up in my account and I'll be on my way"

"The valet cannot wait with your car, you have to come back and pick up your car when you are ready"

"So is there cellular down there? I'll be able to control it with my phone and see when it's charged?"

"Yes, there is cellular down there."

Only there isn't. Not sure how Tesla gets its info to charge you when there is no signal at the Supercharger. Perhaps they cache it in your car and then sends it when it's online again. But since I couldn't query the car about charge status I raised a big fuss and they walked me down to the chargers.

They are standard urban stations, but unlike other Superchargers, they are built deep against a wall. If you pin another car it and leave they would be screwed, but the valet has all the keys so they can move cars around. It is a good way to get a full charge, but I do wonder what happens after your car charges. There is no way for your car to tell you it's done, do you start racking up $1/min penalties?

And what is valid as "validation"? I should have asked, I don't think they take the Pantry receipt as such, too bad as I would drive to LA from SF to have breakfast there. I think I have paid more than $11 at their lot. I usually find some on-street parking, but that trick only works if you get there for an *early* breakfast

-Randy

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett