Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Manitowoc, Wisconsin

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I charged my 20 MYLR there the day it went live (Nov 4th). My battery was low and I was the only one there and I was getting lower-than-normal charge speeds (lower even than a 150kw charger). I chalked it up to being brand new. Can anyone confirm that they've gotten normal/fast charging speeds there since? I live in Minneapolis but take my Tesla to visit family in Manitowoc a few times a year and this will really help.

Also, is there any way to see if there are any other planned supercharger installs along Highway 29 in WI? I feel like nobody knew about this sneaky Manitowoc charger until it began getting installed. One more supercharger between the Menomonie charger and the Wausau charger would make winter travel feasible for me.
If you went there the day it went live, it wouldn't have showed up as a charger in the car's nav. So, the car wouldn't have preconditioned the battery. The battery needs to be quite warm to get max charging speeds, so this might explain your experience. I was also there the day after it went live (it went live on 11/02 - I was there on the 3rd), and it still wasn't showing up in the nav, so I got a fairly low charge rate.

• Informative
Reactions: MattChristian
If you went there the day it went live, it wouldn't have showed up as a charger in the car's nav. So, the car wouldn't have preconditioned the battery. The battery needs to be quite warm to get max charging speeds, so this might explain your experience. I was also there the day after it went live (it went live on 11/02 - I was there on the 3rd), and it still wasn't showing up in the nav, so I got a fairly low charge rate.
That makes sense. I actually charged on the 4th when it wasn't in the car's nav (so no preconditioning) and then again the morning of the 5th (after it was live in the app). I navved to it on the 5th, but it's a short drive away from where I was staying that weekend, so it wouldn't have had enough time to really precondition there that time either. Good call, thanks. Until this charger, I've only ever supercharged on long road trips so my battery has always been preconditioned.

I charged my 20 MYLR there the day it went live (Nov 4th). My battery was low and I was the only one there and I was getting lower-than-normal charge speeds (lower even than a 150kw charger). I chalked it up to being brand new. Can anyone confirm that they've gotten normal/fast charging speeds there since? I live in Minneapolis but take my Tesla to visit family in Manitowoc a few times a year and this will really help.

Also, is there any way to see if there are any other planned supercharger installs along Highway 29 in WI? I feel like nobody knew about this sneaky Manitowoc charger until it began getting installed. One more supercharger between the Menomonie charger and the Wausau charger would make winter travel feasible for me.
Yeah, all the community sleuths that keep an eye on Supercharge Installs had no idea this one was coming. The Johnson Creek one was a bit of a surprise as well. Tesla doesn't publicly disclose when/where they are putting things. You just have sleuths that have contacts and know where to search for public records to try and find where some may be going.

• Informative
Reactions: MattChristian
Yeah, Tesla seems to be pulling back on public disclosure of new “Coming Soon “ locations. The last new Find Us “grey pin” in WI was Stevens Point. Since then, Johnson Creek, Manitowoc and Elkhorn were discovered, but not publicly disclosed by Tesla as future locations. Disclosure of Ashland as Targeted Coming Soon location was due to it being arbitrarily selected by Tesla as a Bonus winning location for a future site targeted for 2025. It was far from a top voted location where they announce the Top 5 voted locations.