Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Mojave, CA - 16870 CA-14 (Mojave Thai Cuisine, LIVE 24 Oct 2023, 20 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BTW, Tesla's site no longer shows any upcoming locations in Mojave. Just the two that we know about.
However, the permit status says "issued" as of 11/10/2022. That is recent, so I don't think a permit would be issued if Tesla had already abandoned this site.
I will be up Friday and will try to do a closer inspection (since I am on my own and won't be irritating my family if I stop)
Here is the Site Job Card. Interesting that permit was issued and work hasn't started yet. Also, $150k for 20 stalls and battery storage seems like the $150k is only for electrical work.

1680580576069.png

So, with the completion of this site, will the original site on Highway 14 north at Stater Bros. be slated for removal? It is a mash-up of V2, V3, and urban chargers. If memory serves, the original site was up and running in 2015 as I charged there on my way to Milwaukee in May. There are twelve stalls in total, six V2, 4 V3, and 2 urban chargers.

So, with the completion of this site, will the original site on Highway 14 north at Stater Bros. be slated for removal? It is a mash-up of V2, V3, and urban chargers. If memory serves, the original site was up and running in 2015 as I charged there on my way to Milwaukee in May. There are twelve stalls in total, six V2, 4 V3, and 2 urban chargers.
Anyone’s guess about the original site. My prediction is that it will be toast. First, it is old, and only 6 stalls. The other 6 are a combination of 4 pre-fab V3’s, and 2 portable Urbans. While the V3s are potentially permanent, the Urbans are definitely not. Also, the lot that encompasses these stalls, and several of the shops, including the Mexican restaurant, has been listed for sale. That may never happen. I know I wouldn’t buy it. Though, if I did, I would want the business that SCs bring.
Perhaps they will leave them until their contract is up, or no longer serviceable.

Anyone’s guess about the original site. My prediction is that it will be toast. First, it is old, and only 6 stalls. The other 6 are a combination of 4 pre-fab V3’s, and 2 portable Urbans. While the V3s are potentially permanent, the Urbans are definitely not. Also, the lot that encompasses these stalls, and several of the shops, including the Mexican restaurant, has been listed for sale. That may never happen. I know I wouldn’t buy it. Though, if I did, I would want the business that SCs bring.
Perhaps they will leave them until their contract is up, or no longer serviceable.
That is my thinking too. Eliminating this site will save on the demand charges assessed by SCE. If they signed a ten-year lease that would mean that it will hang around for another two years. It might be a location that Tesla will keep turned off except during peak travel periods if their algorithms predict that this location will be necessary. Or maybe they remove the six V2 and temporary urban chargers and keep the V3 as a prudent back up.

Ok. I think I see the problem. My photos above appear to be for the 4th Supercharger site in Mojave that is just east of the Thai place. The link to this forum at supercharge.info is to the Thai place site, not Workz. Workz isn’t on supercharge.info as far as I can tell.
Did you see signs of construction completed two doors west at The Workz?

I think this forum started for Thai but shifted to Workz when construction started there first. There are permits for both posted up thread.

Moderator commentary: Confusion hopefully alleviated by splitting the posts in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you see signs of construction completed two doors west at The Workz?

I think this forum started for Thai but shifted to Workz when construction started there first. There are permits for both posted up thread.
I didn’t even check over at Workz since that site wasn’t identified on the Supercharger map. I may hit it on the way home

Reactions: Mrbrock
Moderator note: I have split the posts in this thread. This thread remains for the site at 16870 Hwy 14 ("Mojave Thai"). Posts for the site at 16862 Hwy 14 ("The Workz") can be found in the following thread:

Bruce.

Last edited:
Thanks @bmah. This has been a very unusual build-out of Supercharging in the little oasis of Mojave. At the end of this construction there will be four separate sites with a total of 56 stalls, unless they decommission some or all of the original site. For those confused, here's the sequence:

Location #1
  • Mojave, CA (thread link)
  • Outside of Anthony's Grill, a restaurant now closed, in the Stater Bros parking lot
  • Completed March 2015
  • 6x 150kW (V2)
  • In December 2021, added 4x 250kW (V3) and 2x 72kW (Urban)
Location #2
  • Mojave, CA - Sierra Hwy (thread link)
  • Next to Wienerschnitzel and Denny's
  • Completed August 2022
  • 12x 250kW (V3)
Location #3
  • Mojave, CA - 16862 CA Hwy 14 (thread link)
  • Next to The Workz
  • Complete Q3 2023?
  • 12x 250kW (V3)
Location #4
  • Mojave, CA - 16870 CA Hwy 14 (this thread)
  • Next to Mojave Thai Cuisine
  • Complete Q4 2023?
  • 20x 250kW (V3)
Screenshot 2023-08-05 at 4.07.35 PM.png

Last edited:
Moderator note: I have split the posts in this thread. This thread remains for the site at 16870 Hwy 14 ("Mojave Thai"). Posts for the site at 16862 Hwy 14 ("The Workz") can be found in the following thread:

Bruce.
Thanks Bruce! I’m driving through Mojave again today and will look for the new thread 🧵

This is showing online on Supercharge,info which would make this site the 2,000 online site in the US.
This is showing online on Supercharge,info which would make this site the 2,000 online site in the US.
Back in early 2013, when I got my first Model S, there were only 6 Supercharger locations in the World! I still would travel the Owens Valley regularly. I was able to get Ray's Den motel in Independence to install a Nema 14-50, which became home base for my travels.

Reactions: Johnny Vector