TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Supercharger near empty highway for speed testing

Discussion in 'North America' started by Randy Spencer, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Randy Spencer

Randy Spencer Member

Has anyone found good place in the country where you can actually try the top end of your car? I keep seeing videos of people getting on the freeway and snapping the neck back with all the speed, but you have to slow before too many seconds as it will be illegal to get caught speeding.

But if I was on HWY 50 near Area 51 I could hit 125 without having my face posted wanted dead or alive, or the salt flats! But I don't believe there are any chargers out that way. I could take my motorhome and charge off the generator for a day to get ready for my next run, but that seems extreme, see I cannot tow the Tesla, grr...

Before my car gets old and unreliable, assuming I ever get it, I would really like to see what it can do w/o causing a major issue on whatever road I am on.

-Randy

2. SageBrush

SageBrush 2018: Drain the Sewer

Race track ?

• Like x 1
  3. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

Well, here's the thing. Just because there aren't supposed to be people on a highway doesn't mean there won't be.

Plenty of straight stretches around and near SCs. Wil E. Coyote isolated stretches, even. However, a slow coyote can ruin your day.

So a good track near an SC sounds like the winning solution.

4. NeverFollow

NeverFollow Member

Montana State?

5. rw99

rw99 Member

The speed rating on your tires may tell you what your top end is gonna be...

• Like x 1
  6. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

Actually, there is a Supercharger about 10 miles from the Bonneville Salt Flats International Speedway. It's in West Wendover, NV.

• Love x 1
  7. McRat

McRat Active Member

Do not take your car onto the Salt Flats. You will be sorry. It will mess up your car permanently. The damp salt gets everywhere and is highly corrosive. There is a 150 Club event if you must. Full on SCTA competition has very steep safety equipment regs. Full cage to start.

El Mirage? Look up the park rules, and have radios and spotters, and do it during the week.

The Mojave Mile is an actual clocking event.

But I'd be surprised if it took 2 miles to hit the limiter on a Tesla, very surprised.

8. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

Thanks for the heads up! I thought about it when we passed through there in June this year as I saw some wheel/tire well shaped salt deposits at the West Wendover Supercharger. We were trying to get as far West as possible that day though so sightseeing was out.

9. McRat

McRat Active Member

Note: In California, getting stopped for exceeding 100 mph on a public road is as bad or worse than a drunk driving ticket.

10. McRat

McRat Active Member

Also note: The Salt is graded flat for events. It's not that smooth before grading.

11. swaltner

swaltner Member

I don't know if they still do it, but at one point, there was an event in Texas where they closed off a section on Interstate once a year to make it a high speed race track with no speed limit. This location is apparently 67 miles from a Supercharger in Fort Stockton, TX.

Lonely Texas Highway Becomes High-Speed Racetrack

12. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Active Member

Yep, I've had a chance to use something like this. Are you familiar with Promontory Point Utah, which was the site of the joining of the transcontinental railroad? That is now a museum, and it's about 15-17 miles off into nothingness from Tremonton Utah. For the really straight stretch, don't use the regular Tremonton exit at highway 102. Use the exit farther south, #365, which is highway 13 going west. 13 turns into 83 and continues on straight with nothing there for several miles. ATK Areonautics is eventually out there and is kind of cool. They make rockets for NASA and the Air Force. Also, the railroad museum is really cool.