Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger needed in Kanab, UT?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll disagree. With EVs, lots of people have their own "gas stations" at home and leave for the day with a full tank. Those who live in apartments may not have charging ability while sleeping, but I think that will become an amenity that will be expected.

So I don't think we will need charging stations - certainly more than what we have today, but just a fraction of the number of gas stations.

My 2 cents.
I'll disagree with you. Due to slower refuelling, you'll probably need as many nozzles to handle peak travel, but the overall shape of provision will be different.

Agree, Kayenta would be nice when your destination is in the four corners area or beyond, but Kanab is also needed for access to the N Rim, central Utah National Parks and routes N in central Utah(Hwy 89) without spending a night or long stops using slow destination chargers.

Does anyone else see a need for another Supercharger location between Page and the other southern Utah locations - Beaver, Richfield and St George? Charging in Page heading North is nice, but driving Hwy 89 is a stretch to Beaver in my S85 without adding charge overnight at a hotel with a 110v outlet, or finding a RV park or a rare public HPWC. It also removes any option of spending time between the 3 area national parks - Zion, Bryce Canyon and N Rim of Grand Canyon. Add any comments if you agree, and maybe the Supercharger planning team will add it to the 2018 map!

kane-county-visitors-center-barry-glazier-300x225.jpg

Promo-map_72924_61045-260x260.jpg
Yes, superchargers in Kanab would make the North Rim of the Grand Canyon more accessible as well. I was surprised that there isn't any yet. :(

There is at least a ChargePoint capable of up to 125 kW in Kanab so a CHAdeMO adapter would be a huge improvement over campgrounds and HPWCs. Yet another reason that Tesla needs a CCS adapter for the US that support 500A ASAP.

Indeed, I was excitied to see that charger show up a few months ago, as it fills a gap in the supercharger network. Slightly off-topic, but I feel like the 125 kW rating on those paired chargepoint CPE250s (which I think this is?) is false advertising. If you look at the data sheet (Box) it indicates max CCS1 amperage for paired stations (is "174A or 200A"). Do these chargers even operate at 800V for the few cars capable of 800v charging (Taycan)? That seems like the only way you could possibly get 125 kW. Anyway, it seems that even if Tesla made a 500A adapter, you'd still get at most ~80 kW on a station like this (assuming a 200A rating). Don't get me wrong - that's a lot better than ~45 kW with the current CHAdeMO adapter - but nowhere near 125 kW...

Last edited:
Still needed 3 years after original post. Although there are now 4 HPWCs at the LaQuinta in addition to Days Inn, unless you spend a night and stay at either hotel, it doesn’t help if you are in route to a NP, heading thru to Page or N to Beaver.
I’m currently in the middle of this dilemma. Staying in Page, AZ and have to attend an orientation for The Wave in Kanab in the morning and will make the trek out to the North Rim for the day. I will have to charge full in Page and lose about 85-90 miles range to get to Kanab. From there I will have to leave to charge at the La Quinta Inn while we attend the orientation and grab a meal in order to top off the MYP. It’s about 80 miles to North Rim and then another 125 miles back to Page. Keep in mind that doesn’t take into account for the elevation change. There’s another destination charger in Marble Canyon I might have to use to top off as well so that I’m not stressing out to much on the drive back to base in Page.

I’m currently in the middle of this dilemma. Staying in Page, AZ and have to attend an orientation for The Wave in Kanab in the morning and will make the trek out to the North Rim for the day. I will have to charge full in Page and lose about 85-90 miles range to get to Kanab. From there I will have to leave to charge at the La Quinta Inn while we attend the orientation and grab a meal in order to top off the MYP. It’s about 80 miles to North Rim and then another 125 miles back to Page. Keep in mind that doesn’t take into account for the elevation change. There’s another destination charger in Marble Canyon I might have to use to top off as well so that I’m not stressing out to much on the drive back to base in Page.
Update here:

We’re so spoiled now with the supercharger speeds that Level 2 chargers seems like they take a lifetime 😂 as noted, charged to full at 265 from Page. Lost 90 miles range to get to Kanab. Spent 2 hrs in Kanab and used the Roadhouse destination chargers instead of the La Quinta due to distance away from the places we wanted to visit in town. From 160 we left Kanab at 212 miles range and we’re off to the North Rim.

Here is where it got tricky! The drive through these areas you have to take into account the elevation changes. On the map it is only 81 miles away to the Visitor Center but when we got there, I was left with only 110 miles so I lost about 102 miles on the drive and that was me going at or a little over the speed limits and trying to conserve as much battery as possible.

At the lodge at the North Rim, we were able to do a couple hikes and grab a meal at their deli/cafeteria area. They have a saloon/bar as well here and would have been a great idea if you didn’t have to hike or drive afterwards! From the lodge, we also did a 11 mile drive to Bright Angel Point and saw the Grand Canyon from its highest point. I knew I was cutting it real close but I figured even if it means it’s uphill on the 11 miles one-way, it’ll be downhill on the way back to make up the 11 miles! And sure enough it did. I got back on the route to head towards Page with about 88 miles on the meter and it was exactly 75 miles to get to Cliff Dwellers to fill up before Page.

this restaurant with Tesla Destination Chargers is a must! In more ways than one! They had really good drinks and food and the views of the canyons from afar from your table is breathtaking. Even had a little adventure on-site with a bat flying around the patio! Spending about 1.5 hrs there gave me more than enough juice to complete the 50 miles to get back to home base in Page!

Sadly no one at Tesla gives a damn about Kanab UT or the Grand Canyon.

You could call their PR department, but they don't have one.

Do you have a twitter account ? Elon seems to spend a lot of time there. :rolleyes:
Make that North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Tesla put in easy Supercharger access to the heavily visited South Rim some time ago.

Another really spectacular national park that could use a Supercharger Station is Glacier NP in Montana.

I'd like to see a Supercharger Station in Vernal UT, to open up Dinosaur National Monument. Vernal is also at the intersection of two highways: US 40 and US 191.

Kayenta would be great too.
As was recently discussed in the Kayenta thread, a Supercharger Station there is quite unlikely to happen because of Navajo Nation public opinion and politics. You have to read the comments in the link in that thread to truly appreciate the enmity toward the idea of a Supercharger Station there.

As was recently discussed in the Kayenta thread, a Supercharger Station there is quite unlikely to happen because of Navajo Nation public opinion and politics. You have to read the comments in the link in that thread to truly appreciate the enmity toward the idea of a Supercharger Station there.
Sigh. Looks like I’ll have to get a refresh S Long Range to make that trip.

Sigh. Looks like I’ll have to get a refresh S Long Range to make that trip.
For me US-160 to Flagstaff is flat impossible without an overnight stop at Gouldings RV park in Monument Valley, and even that is barely possible by driving slowly. It is easier to just go the long way via Gallup and I-40, especially now that Gallup has been expanded to eight stalls and the crazy long lines are reduced.

Going the long way is cheaper than buying a long range S! Not that I could afford one — even used — anyway.